Memorising Essays (1 Viewer)

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Aerath said:
Really? Can schools fine you? =\
I'm pretty sure schools can fine you for anything. Doesn't your school fine you for over due library books? Or does that not count as a fine? :p

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
I'm pretty sure schools can fine you for anything. Doesn't your school fine you for over due library books? Or does that not count as a fine? :p
Yeah - that counts as a fine... didn't know Public schools could fine you...
Funny enough we don't get fined for late books... :p

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
the-derivative said:
Yeah - that counts as a fine... didn't know Public schools could fine you...
Funny enough we don't get fined for late books... :p
I get charged 10c a day that it's overdue .. so my 2u Fitzpatrick book that I borrowed for an extra week cost me 70c. It was worth it though :D

4theHSC

HSC
lol memorise essays man, forget all those people that say its pointless, trust me everyone does that, its either they tell you this so you don't memorise and get a good mark or they are the william shakespear of english. Memorise than just turn the essay around a bit to answer the question. Worked for me.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
4theHSC said:
lol memorise essays man, forget all those people that say its pointless, trust me everyone does that, its either they tell you this so you don't memorise and get a good mark or they are the william shakespear of english. Memorise than just turn the essay around a bit to answer the question. Worked for me.
Depends on the different aspect of English exam. For modules and the essay for the AoS, you need to memorise essays, probably but for the 2nd creative writing, you would probably need to learn (rathern than memorise) different types of creative writing that you can adapt to fit the sitmulus provided.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
Depends on the different aspect of English exam. For modules and the essay for the AoS, you need to memorise essays, probably but for the 2nd creative writing, you would probably need to learn (rathern than memorise) different types of creative writing that you can adapt to fit the sitmulus provided.
Qft.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
4theHSC said:
Good idea until you go into the exam room and are given a question which has absolutely no relation to the essay which you memorised and you are unable to adapt your essay to the question. Then you are fucked.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
lyounamu said:
I didn't memorise any essays for English this year - but I tried to memorise a lot of specific quotes which could link to my main ideas... I might try and remember essays for english next term.

ccc123

HSC
Zephyrio said:
Alright everyone. Here's my view.

1. You need to memorise an essay for each English module. I'm not kidding. The best kids in the state who end up with 98 or 99 in advanced English memorise their essays, and I know one who I talk to quite often; he came 2nd in the state a few years ago, and said that he had a perfect 20/20 essay for each module at HSC time. He got 99. Another person I know got a state rank with 97. She also memorised her essays. This isn't coincidental.

HOWEVER, here's the trick. You need to make sure you're actually answering the question put to you. Here is where the top kids and the average kids get sorted out; the top students will find a neat and effective way of integrating the question into their essay. They will be flexible enough to adjust some of their essay; take some bits out, add other more pertinent examples. Their knowledge will extend beyond their prepared essay(s) such that when the time calls, this body of knowledge can be called upon when confronted with a hellish question.

Average students will walk in there with a prepared essay, but make no serious attempt to answer the question, OR just ignore it and write out their prepped essay. Needless to say, not good.

Don't be naive and think that you can write something of good quality in 40 minutes. Very few people can actually do that, and even smart kids need to think. You need to be prepared. Memorise your essays, but also memorise notes to complement your essays. It's the only thing to ensure that you will have something to fall on or to work with in an exam situation, where 40 minutes is a short time, even if you do know your stuff.
qft

4theHSC

HSC
Aplus said:
Good idea until you go into the exam room and are given a question which has absolutely no relation to the essay which you memorised and you are unable to adapt your essay to the question. Then you are fucked.
Yea but whats the chances of that? look at past paper questions and you will realise that the idea is the same. The techniques, quotes etc is the same... all you have to do is relate back to the question now and then. I was talking to an ex HSC student who did well in English (got 93) and he said that he memorised 4 1200 word essay, and all he did was change the introduction a little and the conclusion to relate it back to the question. Otherwise everything is practically the same. For the creative writing just get ideas and learn various methods of writting the story.

I'm talking about those who are not naturally gifted as you might be Aplus in English. To succeed this is just the only way...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
4theHSC said:
Yea but whats the chances of that? look at past paper questions and you will realise that the idea is the same. The techniques, quotes etc is the same... all you have to do is relate back to the question now and then. I was talking to an ex HSC student who did well in English (got 93) and he said that he memorised 4 1200 word essay, and all he did was change the introduction a little and the conclusion to relate it back to the question. Otherwise everything is practically the same. For the creative writing just get ideas and learn various methods of writting the story.

I'm talking about those who are not naturally gifted as you might be Aplus in English. To succeed this is just the only way...
You obviously haven't been in this website long enough to realise how awesome Aplus is in English. No one among 09ers at least cannot possibly question his ability in English. Aplus = absolute fucking pwnage in English.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
lyounamu said:
You obviously haven't been in this website long enough to realise how awesome Aplus is in English. No one among 09ers at least cannot possibly question his ability in English. Aplus = absolute fucking pwnage in English.
I agree with that.
Don't think he was questioning Aplus' ability though :p

flowergrl

HSC
First, you write out word for word, basically copying, reading it out slowly.

Then ou get 3 past papers on the same topic and you try and adapt it to the question. The idea is for you to repeat it, but adapt it at the same time.

Never fails!

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
flowergrl said:
First, you write out word for word, basically copying, reading it out slowly.

Then ou get 3 past papers on the same topic and you try and adapt it to the question. The idea is for you to repeat it, but adapt it at the same time.

Never fails!
Might give that a try - could be useful for the HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)