Memorising Essays (1 Viewer)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
Regardless, I'm not memorising essays.
Yeah, but the above method isn't really the traditional memorising essays. Regardless of whether you memorise word for word or not, you still have to memorise quotes, examples, and basically, a generic link back to a thesis.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Aerath said:
Yeah, but the above method isn't really the traditional memorising essays. Regardless of whether you memorise word for word or not, you still have to memorise quotes, examples, and basically, a generic link back to a thesis.
Yeah, those I'll definitley do, it's just that I won't memorise an essay.
Aerath said:
☆ loves the icon =)
My friend has that as her username :p

4theHSC

HSC
hey the-deriviative, try this method... In an essay you have 6 paragraphs right? split memorising an essay into 3 days, 2 paragraphs a day by writing it around five to 6 times each paragraph, depending on your memorising skills and how concentrated you are. Do that and within 3 days you have a fully well memorised essay word for word. I did that and came 1st with 13/15 in English.

P.S it usually takes 2 hours to memorise 2 paragraphs, but NEVER do it in one day, your brain can't take it TRUST ME!

lol goodluck

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
4theHSC said:
hey the-deriviative, try this method... In an essay you have 6 paragraphs right? split memorising an essay into 3 days, 2 paragraphs a day by writing it around five to 6 times each paragraph, depending on your memorising skills and how concentrated you are. Do that and within 3 days you have a fully well memorised essay word for word. I did that and came 1st with 13/15 in English.

P.S it usually takes 2 hours to memorise 2 paragraphs, but NEVER do it in one day, your brain can't take it TRUST ME!

lol goodluck
Cool - thanks man!

I'll definitely try it!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
the-derivative said:
LOL
I usually do that as well - but I WILL try and memorise the essay - see what difference it makes.
That's probably not ideal, since, if you forget a phrase or something, you'll lose your train of thought (well that's what happened to me, hopefully the same won't happen to you).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I think memorising essays is important. (but not necessarily words to words)

Oh god, I miss Foram.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
lyounamu said:
I think memorising essays is important. (but not necessarily words to words)

Oh god, I miss Foram.
Haha. :hammer:

But yeah, I agree with the part about the essay. It's basically impossible to write an essay you're fully capable of in the timespan of an exam, even after remembering a couple of quotes and already having a thesis. I reckon it's best to memorise an essay, not word for word though, and then adapt it. The 'adapt it' part is really important though. :p

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Without Wings said:
You don't NEED to memorise essays. It can actually hinder some people. Past HSC markers have made comments regarding how many students obviously used pre-prepared responses which did not accurately answer the question to the best of their ability - impacting on the marks they received.
That's why adapting it is so important. :p

I hear this alot though: preprepared responses that don't answer the question.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Continuum said:
That's why adapting it is so important. :p

I hear this alot though: preprepared responses that don't answer the question.
But the quotes and techniques would be the same in the prepared essay and the exam essay. You just have to adjust the pre-prepared essay so that it answers the question.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
kaz1 said:
But the quotes and techniques would be the same in the prepared essay and the exam essay. You just have to adjust the pre-prepared essay so that it answers the question.
Yeah, I think he knows that. :p Regardless of the question, your techniques and quotes are generally the same, and you also need to prepare some sort of generic link back to the thesis (although, in the exam room, the link needs to be specific and succinct, to maximise your marks, I think - correct me if I'm wrong).

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Aerath said:
Yeah, I think he knows that. :p Regardless of the question, your techniques and quotes are generally the same, and you also need to prepare some sort of generic link back to the thesis (although, in the exam room, the link needs to be specific and succinct, to maximise your marks, I think - correct me if I'm wrong).
True.
I generally try and find quotes which can relate to a few topic ideas so I can adapt them to a variety of focus questions and ideas. Generally I've been lucky so far - as I've been able to integrate all my quotes and techniques to the focus question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)