• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

meeting people who have been screwed over by lawyers (1 Viewer)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
lol who wants to work for paper shredders anyways?

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Frigid said:
is this a vote of no-confidence for Clayton's Utes i see? destroying documents? hiring private investigators to dig dirt about the plaintiff?
Clayton Utes, ahaha. It sounds slightly less professional than utz.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
Of course, I could be wrong :)
one of the solicitors who used to work at my current firm suggested that maybe Clayton Utz is the inspiration of Rottmans (the firm in Hell has Harbour Views).

the only factual link that supports this theory is the fact that Claytons did represent Rothmans, a tobacco company which latter merged with British American Tobacco.

A link to the Age article on the case and Claytons subsequent closing of its tobacco litigation dept.

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ok, I guess I'm the only one but what is the significance of being THE Rogers from Rogers vs Whittaker?

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Just wondering, what is a good Law firm to work for? Are most big law firms like Clayton Utz?

X

xeuyrawp

Sarah said:
Just wondering, what is a good Law firm to work for? Are most big law firms like Clayton Utz?
Working in-house for a funky company like Virgin, for example, would be enjoyable, imo.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sarah said:
Blake Dawson Waldron :)

And er.. let's forget what they did in Walton v Maher shall we...

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Lexicographer said:
Ok, I guess I'm the only one but what is the significance of being THE Rogers from Rogers vs Whittaker?
It was a big case... it might be interesting to you actually - the HC said that a health professional has a duty to warn a patient of a material risk inherent in proposed treatment. A risk is material if in the particular case:
  • a reasonable person in the patient's position, if warned of the risk would be likely to attach significance to it, or
  • the medical practitioner is, or should reasonably be, aware that the particular patient if warned of the risk would be likely to attach significance to the risk.
Meeting Rogers would be kinda like meeting Ms Carlil; these things have a whole new meaning, it's like celebrities or something out of a storybook.

I have a friend who was with a bunch of people driving through Wyong Shire and were all amazed, "OMG we're in Wyong Shire! Who want's to go water-skiing!"

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
Oh ok. Thanks for the list!

But what I meant in my question "are most big firms like Clayton Utz?" was whether most big firms destroy documents and engage in other dodgy procedures?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
I want to meet the shopping centre ppl from Waltons v Maher :p

santaslayer

HSC
Yes, I've been engaging in dodgy transactions and I've been 'cooking the books', but because I'm an honest lawyer, I'm going to admit to my mistakes and tell the world about it. I'll only be risking my career and a lengthy gaol sentence.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sarah said:
But what I meant in my question "are most big firms like Clayton Utz?" was whether most big firms destroy documents and engage in other dodgy procedures?
They're law firms, not saints. Money will always be top priority and they will usually go to reasonable lengths to maintain it. This means the occasional dodgy act here and there, sure. However the atmosphere varies and certainly an incident that great was probably an uncommon example, because the risks of misconduct are also there.

It also depends on what you define as dodgy ;)

stamos

sellout
HSC
inasero said:
lol THE rogers?
why do you imply he would have anything against lawyers, much less torts lawyers? I mean for crying out loud, he got the govt. to change medical negligence laws so that can't be such a bad thing- AND he won any way you look at it.
um rogers was the doctor and he lost the case

moreover he didn't do anything wrong in the operation at all, but just didn't warn of some tiny tiny risk of sympathetic opthamalia

if you got done in by a 0.1% chance or whatever it is, you'd probably be pissed off at being held 100% liable

inasero

Reborn
HSC
exactly- unlucky guy but yeah he should have told whittaker

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)