meeting people who have been screwed over by lawyers (1 Viewer)

stamos

sellout
HSC
the other day i found out that the rogers from rogers v whittaker was this family friend who was best man at my dad's wedding

say if i became a torts lawyer, his perception of me would probably be changed completely

so anyway, any interesting encounters with people who've been bitten by lawyers?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
My friend who does journo/law was doing an assignment and rang up to interview someone from the legal rights centre and at the end of the interview when he said his name it turned out he was some murderer who was in her criminal law text book.... apparently they wanted to make a special law to stop him from being released in victoria or something.

Funny thing is, she wished she had known at the start of the interview so her questions would have been juicier!

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Actually, my mum shares exactly the same name and hometown as a famous gay rights and civil libertarian who was widely criticised for being a dyke and wanting IVF.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
My friend who does journo/law was doing an assignment and rang up to interview someone from the legal rights centre and at the end of the interview when he said his name it turned out he was some murderer who was in her criminal law text book.... apparently they wanted to make a special law to stop him from being released in victoria or something.

Funny thing is, she wished she had known at the start of the interview so her questions would have been juicier!
So was it some sort of special interview when u don't find out their name untill the end? =/

santaslayer

HSC
My experience with lawyers are that they are normally very helpful with what I (and my family) want done. They are usually fairly efficent as well. The people who get screwed over are the ones that the lawyers are paid to screw over....and that's normal. :p

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
So was it some sort of special interview when u don't find out their name untill the end? =/
haha repped.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
stamos said:
the other day i found out that the rogers from rogers v whittaker was this family friend who was best man at my dad's wedding

say if i became a torts lawyer, his perception of me would probably be changed completely

so anyway, any interesting encounters with people who've been bitten by lawyers?
The Rogers from Rogers v Whittaker? Haha how random!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
She was just asking him general stuff about what the prisoner rights group did, thats why she didn't ask his name until the end....

X

xeuyrawp

When my mum and dad divorced, my dad used his old-school ties of lawers to pressure her with settlement, custody, etc.

She ended up borrowing some money from her parents and literally paying a tonne of money to get some huge muscle from Clayton Utz. Needless to say, she still has the house, and I rarely saw my dad :p

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
When my mum and dad divorced, my dad used his old-school ties of lawers to pressure her with settlement, custody, etc.

She ended up borrowing some money from her parents and literally paying a tonne of money to get some huge muscle from Clayton Utz. Needless to say, she still has the house, and I rarely saw my dad :p
Clayton Utz.. now there is a pack of wolves

inasero

Reborn
HSC
lol THE rogers?
why do you imply he would have anything against lawyers, much less torts lawyers? I mean for crying out loud, he got the govt. to change medical negligence laws so that can't be such a bad thing- AND he won any way you look at it.

X

xeuyrawp

bearpooh said:
I was surprised that there is nothing forbidding sex with clients in
any of the legal ethics legistlation that I have read. And I have
read it in painstaking detail (I sat for the legal ethics and evidence bar exams in my holidays, for fun. Yes I am a masochist. No I am not lying. )

The medical board strikes you off the register for sex with patients.
That is an ABSOLUTE rule. There are NO extenuating circumstances.
Please, tell us again how smart, dedicated, and generally great you are. We're all dying to know.

X

xeuyrawp

Unfortunately, I still get emailed updates.

I'll have to unsubscribe to all the threads. Also, did you notice that you deleted the message I quoted? If you deleted it, but I still saw it, it obviously means I got it from email, as the email's sent and isn't retracted. Go figure?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
is this a vote of no-confidence for Clayton's Utes i see? destroying documents? hiring private investigators to dig dirt about the plaintiff?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
is this a vote of no-confidence for Clayton's Utes i see? destroying documents? hiring private investigators to dig dirt about the plaintiff?
I know a family friend, a solicitor, who worked for Clayton Utz, some time ago now. He explained the working atmosphere where everyone was very nasty and competitive, and people were virtually encouraged to backstab each other in order to get ahead, etc.

One such example is if say, Moonlight is really swamped on an acquisition case so he asks Frigid if he could work on an intellectual property case for him. Frigid agrees, goes and does all the work for it, then goes to senior manager Asquithian, telling him Moonlight is having trouble with his workload but that Frigid managed to bail him out and save the day, by taking on this extra work. After a number of other similarly treacherous instances Moonlight wonders why Frigid starts getting all the big cases and/or promoted...

From the impression I got when talking to the solicitor, it's a particularly nasty work atmosphere. Competition and politics. Fuelling their war engines with ravenous ambition. There's always fresh blood to be reaped!

Of course, I could be wrong :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)