Medicine after 1 year of uni (1 Viewer)

untouchablecuz

HSC
hello,

background information:
- since last year i've been aiming to get into an MBBS program. however, my UMAT wasn't enough, and as such, i didn't recieve any offers
- i've also been offered (and accepted) a co op scholarship for engineering at UNSW

i've considered other pathways into medicine and after finding out my ATAR of 98.4 (which i hear is enough for a decent chance at med entry), am considering having another crack at the UMAT next year and reapplying.

my co op scholarship imo is way too good to pass up, so my question is, how does it all work? what is taken into account (in the med interview selection process) after 1 year of uni?

Doomah

HSC
GPA, UMAT and interview...

do your co-op, u may enjoy it, re-apply for med if you get in dump the co-op

Paradox1345

HSC
N/A
Do what you really want to do. Either med or Engo, by all means pursue your passion.

Good luck.

twitch92

HSC
N/A
GPA, UMAT and interview...

do your co-op, u may enjoy it, re-apply for med if you get in dump the co-op
depending on the university, most also use your ATAR along with your GPA, UMAT and interview. OP, your ATAR is a little on the low side, so if you're passionate about medicine, work hard to get a good GPA and resit the UMAT. good luck:D

untouchablecuz

HSC
thanks guys

any idea how high my GPA will have to be? distinction average?

dolbinau

HSC
UNSW 1/2 UAI 1/2 GPA you will need at or above a distinction average, I think, to be very competitive with that UAI.

UWS, you don't need to worry about GPA. You need above 95 OR a credit average, and you satisfy the first.

UNCLE, 'close to a credit average'.

Only UNSW will getting a higher GPA actually mean something, at UWS and UNCLE it's a hurdle so you just need to reach that. I.e. the biggest thing to worry about is UMAT and Interview.

mmkardart

Med/Dent Interview Helper
HSC
N/A
Hmm congrats on getting the Co-op scholarship. Just remember though not to let it influence you too much - this is your career we are talking about. After all, money can always be earned back once you graduate :) Anyhow, keep your GPA up and definitely reapply - that way, you still have your options open.

If you are worried about having "wasted" one year - trust me, it's no biggie in the long run. I study with people who have their own families and have completed degrees. If the passion is there, that's all that matters !

You have to make the decision in the end and all the best with that :)

megan09

HSC
does it matter what course you do for the one year? i would assume it had to be somewhat tied to medicine or science..but i'm looking for confirmation of this

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
I don't know much about the marks needed to transfer into something like UNSW medicine.

However, I do know of several people who have transfered into UNSW (and USyd) combined law after 1st year with a combination of a UAI/ATAR in the mid 90's (i.e. 93 - 96) and who attained a distinction - high distinction average in their 1st year of university. In a very loose fashion you could suppose that the level of competition for transfer into medicine is similar.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
I know you have a scholarship and want to do med but yeah, engineering? Quite awkward if they asked you what are you currently doing, etc (this is rare as it is a biased questions).

Refer to: http://community.boredofstudies.org...undergraduate-medicine-if-degree-started.html

From MSO:

MSO said:
Your university will use either your GPA (or for University of New South Wales your GPA and your UAI). If you have completed less than one year of full time study, they will just use your UAI.

A pass is equal to a 4, a credit is equal to a 5, a distinction is equal to a 6, and a high distinction is equal to a 7. At the end of the year you take the average of your grade points (your GPA). Then you find the equivalent UAI.

there's a pdf on bored of studies somewhere that converts gpa to uai.

basically, if you've completed one year of full time study,
GPA = UAI as below:
6.50 = 99.50
6.40= 98.5
6.30 = 98
6.20 = 97
6.10 = 96
6.00 = 96
5.90 = 95
5.80 = 94
5.70 = 94
5.60 = 93
5.50 = 93
UNSW weights ATAR and GPA - 50/50 for one year of study.
5 is credit, 6 is distinction, 7 is HD

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Err how is it awkward? Both require problem solving and are analytical degrees.
Indeed, my choice after medicine would have been philosophy and mathematics.

DanielJW

HSC
N/A
just as an example. Other unis may be a bit different, but this is UWA's info page about people applying after a year of uni (they call it non-standard entry)

Non-standard entry > Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences: The University of Western Australia

From Link said:
Non-standard applicants must attain a Faculty grade point average of at least 5.5.
If you have a poke around their website, you'll also see that places for non-standard applicants are seperate to places for standard applicants (and there's alot less of them)

UWA said:
Standard entry about 120 medical places and 34 dental places.
For medicine, about 1450 people applied for 2009 entry. For 2010 entry, two to three people will be interviewed for each place.
For dentistry, about 600 people applied for 2009 entry. For 2010 entry, about two to three will be interviewed for each place.
UWA said:
Non-standard entry about 15 medical places and about 16 dental places.
For medicine, about 300 people applied for 2009 entry. For 2010 entry, about two to three people will be interviewed for each place.
For dentistry, about 200 non-standard applicants applied for 2009 entry. For 2010 entry, about two to three will be interviewed for each place.
UWA said:
Graduate entry (medicine) about 60-65 Commonwealth-supported places.
In 2008-09, about 330 applicants applied by using one of their three preferences.
Taking into account the preference system, we then received about 200 of the 330 applications. The top 95 applicants were selected for interview.

I don't know how other uni's handle these kinda of applications, but that's just an example of 1 uni's process and application #'s

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)