Med Science or Science? (1 Viewer)

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Wah...you serious man? Weird, I'm doing some advanced reading now, and it sounds Ok. It's just that I'm not 100% exactly what we need to know for the exam, cos Prof Archer doesn't really supply clear notes.

Actually just a quick question Survivor, how much of Invertebrates did you have to know for the BIOS1101 course? Thanks mate!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Not much. the course is mainly about plants and mamalian biology. e.g. the hormones etc.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
That plan by Rekkusu is a little untrue. There are several paths in the faculty of science that don't require any chem, maths or physics. The majority do, yes, but there are a few who don't.

Biological Anatomical Anthropology - BIOS1, BIOS2
Environmental Earth Science - GEOS7, GEOS1, GEOS2, BIOS1, BIOS2
Geology - GEOS1, GEOS2
History & Philosophy of Science - Who cares. As if you would anyway.
Marine Geology - GEOS1, GEOS2
Philosophy - Who cares.
Psychology - PSYC1, PSYC2

Unfortunately, the majority of those kinda suck, and will require you to pick electives from other branches of science. I do agree with Iruka though, if you genuinely "hate" those fundamental branches of science, perhaps science isn't for you.

~Sw33ti3~

hate uni.... but why :S
HSC
i don't 'hate' them Dat much...

just dat i realli dun wanna revisit them....the marks are not dat bad..
its just coz doing them for so long u grow some dislikes. but if they are new things and more intereting then it isn't too bad.

but i do dislike physics...(i never passed in any physics relate in junior science...)

but if ur not gonna revisit them after 1st yeah then *yipppee!* lol

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
In any medical sciences you will need to do at least 1 maths subject and two chemistry subject. I didn't have to do Physics.

but yes, I wasn't a fan of chem and maths either, but I got through them!

Rekkusu

HSC
Yup me too >_> Hated physics badly...and currently with Chem --> the same feeling.

Hm, though you'll need to decide upon what major/majors and minors that you wish to take in B Sci...but you can decide about that after your HSC, since you'll have at least 3 months of holidays, if not 4.

~Sw33ti3~

HSC
yeah.... oh well, i think sci sounds pretti good....
but still a tinnnny bit indecisive...
thanks for all ur help =D

oh how hard is it to get into either of them?

Rekkusu

HSC
At UNSW:

Bachelor of Science - UAI range: 72-80
Bachelor of Med Sci: UAI - 85 (Hasn't changed for a while)

Both of the above courses are really easy to get into, so long as you get like 1 or 2 band 6s, and the rest can be band 5s, allowing for 1 subject to be band 4. Or say 3 Band 6s and 2-3 band 4s.

For Bachelor of Medicine/Surgery - UAI of at least 95 + a really high UMAT mark or UAI of 99-100 + a low UMAT mark of about 150.

By the way, if you are really dedicated to getting into Medicine, but unable to due to either the damn UMAT that the Aust Govt implemented, or the UAI, you can consider taking this degree overseas. Alot of my friends actually moved overseas to do Medicine, some at Tokyo Uni, etc and came back, did a med qualification test, and became recognised as a Dr here in Australia.

In fact, alot of degrees other than UNSW's Med degree span alot shorter - 5 years, rather than 7. Plus you can completely skip the whole umat - interview process. But by then, it'll depend upon the UAI mark you get, in order to gain entry to overseas unis.

But yeah don't worry! A pass in every one of the prerequisite courses means that you get your degree! Lol of course if you plan to do honours or something you need minumum a credit.

~Sw33ti3~

HSC
the uai for sci and med sci isn't looking too bad...
yeah my trial umat told me i need at least a 97 to even b considered for an interview... but my school is probably estimating mine at wat.. 90 or something....

overseas... i need to understand the language lol!!!

hmm.. a pass... is it hard to get a GPA of like 5.5 (coz grad med needs dat as a minimum...) hehe. coz if i want to do like med in usyd... i need dat gpa.. is it hard to get or like... quite hard...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
If you get a GPA of 5.5, you better nail the GAMSAT and the interview or you won't have a chance. I think that's a minimum.

I think a GPA of 5.5 is a borderline Credit/Distinction average (average around 75 in WAM maybe). Someone can confirm.

Rekkusu

HSC
Lol, though I don't want to dash your hopes for UNSW B Medicine yet. But...if you do not get a UAI of at least 95 or above, you will most probably never get into UNSW Medicine.

Because this uni has stupid rule that they measure your level of academic achievement from 50% UAI mark and 50% WAM [Not sure if this is the GPA that you guys are talking about]. So in other words, even if you kill your Degree say you get 100 (HD range) for every single course, you still cannot fulfill the other academic level required i.e. 50% UAI of at least 95.

But...I suppose you could indeed try Post Grad Med at UNSW, but it may be hard...since by that time you would have most likely finished your current degree (that's 3 years), then if you're adding Med (that's 7 years). So...it may be better to consider going into Syd Uni for B Med, then once you've done it for 1 year, switch to B Med in UNSW, that's what some people I know did.

Or lol yeah if you do know any other languages, it's easier to complete B Med overseas. But you do know that most universities today in the world accept English as the international language...so yup.

~Sw33ti3~

HSC
but usyd said they wun look at ur uai at all... hehe
which is something good....

but i looked at the med sci thingy and it was like 'underpinning the stuides of med and like most post grad med did this degree.' *very confused*

overseas... most would be desirble for their own applicants... haiz...
mayb the UWS med is looking alrite.. 92 min... but then only 88 ppl... gee why is it so hard to do med. and we have a shortage of doctors.. can't they make it easier for entry and harder to graduate?

*arghh..*

Rekkusu

HSC
Lol, we can put all that blame squarely on Howard's shoulders...He's so stupid...because of our shortage of doctors in Australia, he'd rather give free money + accoomodation + airfares to overseas doctors to come to Australia for work.

The most he did for us poor students is to offer a few more measly DFEE Med courses (in other words he wants you to pay the full fee for B Med/surgery).

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
~Sw33ti3~ said:
but i looked at the med sci thingy and it was like 'underpinning the stuides of med and like most post grad med did this degree.' *very confused*
It's a gimmick to trick people to get into Medsci. Don't believe it. Any science degree can "underpin the studies of medicine."

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Rekkusu said:
Lol, though I don't want to dash your hopes for UNSW B Medicine yet. But...if you do not get a UAI of at least 95 or above, you will most probably never get into UNSW Medicine.

Because this uni has stupid rule that they measure your level of academic achievement from 50% UAI mark and 50% WAM [Not sure if this is the GPA that you guys are talking about]. So in other words, even if you kill your Degree say you get 100 (HD range) for every single course, you still cannot fulfill the other academic level required i.e. 50% UAI of at least 95.

But...I suppose you could indeed try Post Grad Med at UNSW, but it may be hard...since by that time you would have most likely finished your current degree (that's 3 years), then if you're adding Med (that's 7 years). So...it may be better to consider going into Syd Uni for B Med, then once you've done it for 1 year, switch to B Med in UNSW, that's what some people I know did.

Or lol yeah if you do know any other languages, it's easier to complete B Med overseas. But you do know that most universities today in the world accept English as the international language...so yup.
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

~Sw33ti3~

HSC
hehe trick? lol!!!
well mayb...
coz yeah.. sci looks better atm =D
thank u!!!

yeah i think howard mayb should realise that u know, there are ppl who can b docs in aus... and y get them from overseas? they will just get a degree and go back *international studnets* and stuff.... haiz....

and then there are national complains about shortage of docs and nurses.... but nothing can b done to make them appealing coz docs are hard to get and nurses are over worked..... *thumps head*

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
yeah i think howard mayb should realise that u know, there are ppl who can b docs in aus... and y get them from overseas? they will just get a degree and go back *international studnets* and stuff.... haiz....
huh?

and then there are national complains about shortage of docs and nurses.... but nothing can b done to make them appealing coz docs are hard to get and nurses are over worked..... *thumps head*
That's a bit crazy. Nurses are overworked, and they get paid very little money, with very little incentives. Doctors have one of the most appealing jobs out there, they get paid plenty of money, they have a whole variety of different job options, they don't get overworked and they're amongst the most respected people in the world. If I ever see a doctor complaining about their job, I vow to punch them in the face.

Rekkusu

HSC
Lol the only doctors that would complain are probably those either in USA or Australia, i.e. Performing say Neurological tasks...

You'd get sued big time in either of these countries just for doing something wrong...Lol, I'd rather opt to go back overseas rather than to serve as a doctor in Australia.

~Sw33ti3~

HSC
neurological tasks?
*oh crap* dat is wat i wanted to major in......... sh!t!!!!

great... mayb i should stick to research then... coz i dun think white mices's family would be able to sue me.......

Rekkusu

HSC
Whoa...you wanted to become a Neurosurgeon? *Totally admires her*

haha the most that I wanted to become was at most midwifery or something. But yeah, just remember, all Bach of Sciences majors/minors are research-based, but most tend to come out as half-clinical and half-research.

Alot of hospitals are in need of research graduates in other clinical areas not only to do blood tests!

[meh, I'll let Mr. Demigod of "I know everything about medicine" below do the talking here]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)