maths textbooks (1 Viewer)

pscecelia

HSC
hey do you guys have any recommendations on any maths textbooks...like it explains the methods thoroughly

Aysce

HSC
Cambridge has a pretty thorough explanation of things and imo, explains concepts quite clearly.

nifkeh

HSC
terry lee kind of does, excel ones are alright. but jones and couchman is a pretty lousy school maths textbook for sure, not joking lol because I use it at school

Aysce

HSC
terry lee kind of does, excel ones are alright. but jones and couchman is a pretty lousy school maths textbook for sure, not joking lol because I use it at school
Excel ones are okay but honestly you can get many better textbooks.

Yeah Jones and Couchman is lacking in a few ways based on personal use and also from a friend who also uses it for her school.

Ricktatorship

HSC
Is Cambridge better than Fitzpatrick at explaining the concepts? I use Cambridge at school, and I'm not sure if I should invest in another textbook for the holidays as I plan to go ahead of my class by a few chapters.

Wonder

HSC
Is Cambridge better than Fitzpatrick at explaining the concepts? I use Cambridge at school, and I'm not sure if I should invest in another textbook for the holidays as I plan to go ahead of my class by a few chapters.
Personally I find Fitzpatrick better at explaining concepts, though Cambridge has harder questions to practise with. I'd say it's good to have another textbook as well.

Aysce

HSC
It's subjective. I think Fitzpatrick has a more simple and straight-forward explanation of concepts whilst Cambridge is quite in-depth and can be difficult for one who is new to a concept.

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
Maths in focus is the go, good old Margaret Grove really knows how to make a textbook (not srs)

Ricktatorship

HSC
Personally I find Fitzpatrick better at explaining concepts, though Cambridge has harder questions to practise with. I'd say it's good to have another textbook as well.

It's subjective. I think Fitzpatrick has a more simple and straight-forward explanation of concepts whilst Cambridge is quite in-depth and can be difficult for one who is new to a concept.
Thanks, I'll probably end up getting it.

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
what year? connection maths for years 7-10 and Maths in Focus for year 11-12

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I liked Fitzpatrick, personally. Clear layout. Nice colours to the books too. Aesthetic.

ahdil33

HSC
Cambridge, undoubtedly the best imo, if you want a GOOD understanding of the content. Sometimes they're a bit long, but once you get through them you'll be a genius on the topic. And of course has a huge range of questions, of which you should only do some, ideally most of developmental and not much basic and don't touch extension unless you have loads of time. For 2u and 3u this is.

For 4u imo, no book has great explanations...cambridge is alright...but Terry Lee has the best questions and worked solutions so you'll need it too.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If you have good teachers (like my school), just learn from them and do past papers (or past papers by topic) - this is what I did and did decently but how much I studied was quite limited.

enak101

HSC
I have maths in focus for 2U and atm I really hate it. They will have 2 examples before an exercise, and sometimes the first question adds another thing that the examples didn't have. Like 2(3x+5) or whatever when the examples explained how to do (3x+5).
Sometimes I don't know what to do exactly in these situations and have to go to the teacher.

What do you think for 2u? Cambridge?

edit:maybe fitz guy you are talking about if he has a 2U one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)