Maths Seminar (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

will2197

Can I get more info on this ?

I got a handout at UNSW open day and a few of my friends are thinking of going.

How good is Jeff Geha. He's the Excel author right ?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Details regarding the seminar are available via our main website:
www.boredofstudies.org/seminar04.php

It's being run by Jeff Geha (maths extraordinaire) - yes, he's the author of the Excel books, and has done a number of other works too (HSC tips, past paper analyses, etc). He's been tutoring maths for the past few years, and all his students have had exceptional HSC results. Quite the maths guru. He's a friendly guy too.

We'll provide a proper itinerary for the seminar soon, but in brief - Jeff will initially run through the crucial parts of each of the examinable topics to fill in all the gaps and make sure you haven't missed anything. After each topic, he'll work through challenging examples of questions relevant to that topic from past HSC exams and trial papers, providing tips on how best to answer them along the way.

There'll also be a session on how to maximise your marks in the exam. Jeff has said (and most teachers agree) that it's amazing how many students miss out on incremental marks simply because they don't provide 'complete' answers to questions (i.e. demonstrating the full methodology, without leaving out any steps; crossing every 't' and dotting every 'i').

And to finish the seminar, there will be an opportunity (during the last hour or so) for students to ask Jeff any particularly difficult questions they've been struggling with. The idea isn't for Jeff to just provide a worked solution - anyone can obtain that. He'll actually be explaining the logic and thought processes you need to go through in order to solve the problem yourself. The aim is to provide a full understanding of how the problem is actually solved. Most of these questions will also benefit the other students who are attending (what is hard for some is usually hard for most). Just prepare the questions beforehand, and we'll have a roving microphone (or something similar) going around the theatre.

Hope that answers your question. I'd obviously encourage you to come along - we've already had a number of registrations, and I'm not sure how long the places will last. We may have to run a second set of seminars if we get too many people.

It'll be fun too. :)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The details are on the registration form:
www.boredofstudies.org/other/Seminar Registration Form.pdf
<blockquote><table width="50%"><tr><td><font size="2"><b>Option</b></font><td>&nbsp;</td><td align="right"><font size="2"><b>One Day</b></font><td align="right"><font size="2"><b>Both Days</b></font><tr><td><font size="2">Registered BOS Member
Unregistered Student
Group Booking (5+)</font><td>&nbsp;</td><td align="right"><font size="2">95.00
80.00</font><td align="right"><font size="2">150.00
120.00</font></tr></table></blockquote>Each day will last for at least six hours, so it's a great deal - as a registered member, you'd only be paying $15.83 per hour for some top tutoring! Plus you get lunch, and a whole folder of materials.

It's hard to find a better deal than that.

And we've provided additional discounts for groups of five or more. :)

Winston

HSC
bahh laz if only u had this running last yr :p

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
I'm in yr 11 this year and I was thinking of going, but I decided I shouldn't take the place of some HSC student who will need it more than I do.

As long as you have the same thing next year, because it's a really cool idea.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
^Yea. I want to go, too. I've almost completed the 2 unit course and am more than half-way through the 3unit course.

I guess we'll see if there're any places left.

But yeah, just hope you have it next year.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
will2197 said:
Can I get more info on this ?

I got a handout at UNSW open day and a few of my friends are thinking of going.

How good is Jeff Geha. He's the Excel author right ?
jeff geha wrote the fantastic 'fast track' excel books, i am a huge fan of them. i would recommend anyone buy them rather than the other more popular and widespread books.

my teacher said jeff is a whizz

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
how much is the discount, and does it vary depending on how many students attending(eg 6,7,8...)?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You can see the discount in the outline above (and in the registration form).

It's not variable - just a flat discount for groups of five or more.

mitch_07

HSC
Hey Lazarus,

I was just wondering if due to demand if there will be a second seminar and if there is what the date will be as I am unable to come to the Saturday 2unit maths due to my cousin’s wedding. However I desperately want to come as this seminar sounds very interesting - a great revision course which can only boost my mark up.
Can u reply ASAP if there will be a second seminar?

Thanks mitch_07

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
We don't know yet whether or not there will be a second series of seminars.

If they do go forward, they'll most likely be held the very next weekend (9 - 10 October).

We'll publish details on the main site when we know for sure. :)

JimMcCool

I plan on going in a group to save some dosh, but is there any way to let them know exactly who will be going in the group?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You need to fill out a form for each group member, so the easiest way is to just send all the forms in together. :)

SW220

HSC
Thats such a good idea!! where do you guys get all your ideas from?!

W

will2197

fantastic..- won't need to study for maths now, just gunna go to the seminar..kekekeke !!!

thanks for running this. :graduate:

harrys

Will the group booking discount apply, if within your group of 5, you have some people for 2 unit, and others for ext 1?

jonnathann

I'm a Year 11 student doing yr 12 next year, but i'm realli into maths. Do you recommend that i go? And also, are there any Maths Ext. 2 seminars?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
harrys said:
Will the group booking discount apply, if within your group of 5, you have some people for 2 unit, and others for ext 1?
That's fine - so long as each student in the group is attending at least one seminar. :)

jonnathann said:
I'm a Year 11 student doing yr 12 next year, but i'm realli into maths. Do you recommend that i go? And also, are there any Maths Ext. 2 seminars?
You'll certainly get a good feel for the courses and all the topics you'll be covering. If you'd like to get ahead and obtain a bit of 'pre-emptive' exposure to HSC material (which might make it easier for you when you start to learn it) then I'd definitely recommend coming along!

We weren't able to arrange for an Extension 2 seminar this year, but there may be one next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)