maths argh....... (1 Viewer)

butterflys13

HSC
so i'm currently struggling in 2unit maths, and am unsure as to whether i should continue to do 2 unit or drop to general.

I was wondering whether it was better, in terms of scaling, to get 60- 70 in 2 unit or get 85-100 in general.

I'm doing ancient, modern, extension history, 3 unit english and bio... so i dont think maths will count in the end but I'm still not sure, what with scaling and that, what maths would be best.

What do you all think?

Thanks for your help

omniscience

HSC
N/A
general scales shit but its easy as batshit i would stick wid 2 unit unless ur a deadshit

TheStallion

HSC
How much are you struggling? Are you failing, or just not getting what you expected?

Basically, sit yourself down and think "Am I going to study like a crazy nutter and improve?" - If you can't honestly say yes, then drop it. The only way to get better is to study like someone on drugs. I failed my first 2U test, and then pumped up into the high 80's for half yearlys, thanks to huge amounts of study.

clue444

HSC
If you think your worst subject is maths and you're struggling in it then drop it. There is no point doing it if you think it won't count into your 10 units.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Don't drop to general maths. There is a lot to catch up on and if Maths is not your strong point, there is no point in doing it.

Keep 2 unit or drop Maths altogether.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
but if you can get 100 in general maths then why not?

jovceski123

HSC
I did 2 unit for the prelim then dropped at the start of year 12....
advantages- More time can be spent on improving other subjects as less time studying is needed!!
Disadvantage- General scales pretty poorly, but if u recieve a marks in the top 10% of your cohort scaling will have little or no effect on u!!!!....general maths only scales bad if u are ranked within the middle of your cohort!!!

TheStallion

HSC
but if you can get 100 in general maths then why not?
Any decent IT/Aviation/Engineering degree (as well as a shitload of others) will require a minimum of 2U maths.

clue444

HSC
Any decent IT/Aviation/Engineering degree (as well as a shitload of others) will require a minimum of 2U maths.
True. Also the maximum you can get in General Maths is 90(scaled from 100). So general maths isn't so worth doing.

TheStallion

HSC
For those of us who do 2U maths or extension maths, general maths would be piss easy, and most 2U/extension people would get 95+. The difficulty/workload gap between general and 2U alone is HUGE.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Can i just ask what you mean by 'require'? Few undergraduate degrees have prerequisites, im interested to know which actually ones do.

Also keep in kind that technically you could do most degrees with HSC subject prerequisites without having done the subject at school. You would have to start off in a different degree and take the relevant subjects then transfer out. If you're dedicated and have the time, it can be done.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
2U maths is not a "requirement" for those course, it is simply assumed knowledge so the lecturers and tutors ASSUME you understand the concepts of 2U maths. you are not prohibited from enrolling in those courses if you have not done 2U maths though you will be severely disadvantaged.

TheStallion

HSC
Yeah, my bad, it is assumed knowledge. The only degrees which require it are at ADFA, and that's only when you apply for a position such as Pilot.

So yeah, you can drop to general now and take a bridging course after the HSC if you wish.

anom1ly

HSC
advanced maths has its advantages when your looking at university degrees aswell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)