Maths 3 unit and 4 unit uai and scaling (1 Viewer)

batigol

Giant
HSC
hm..theres different views on the scaling here, im kinda lost. anyone here had 'been there, done that' can u plz giv advice?

oh and as far as im very aware of, USYD's BSc (adv maths) assumes 4u maths.

no, i dont think 4u is boring, i like doing 4u maths than other maths although im not that gud at it lol

A l

HSC
N/A
ioniser said:
no no i did ext2 for a while,and it is totally different from other courses,3u has scaling of about 15 while 4u has scaling of about 20.
There are no fixed numbers imposed on the scaling of marks. It all depends on the course candidature and this may vary from year to year.
ioniser said:
Also the 4 unit course is designed so that you can't finish the paper,note no one has ever finished the paper,there is heaps of random shit in it.Like questions that uni ppl can't solve and they stuff it in there, to see if anyone can.
I know people who HAVE ACTUALLY FINISHED the paper. However, a small percentage of the candidature actually achieve this. Getting all the questions right after finishing it however, is a different matter.
The paper is not designed to make sure no one finishes it. All questions assess an area in the syllabus. There are no random and impossible questions. So far, in the history of 4 unit or Extension 2 Mathematics, each question given has at least some people who have answered them correctly. The only exception that I know of where the paper was not completed by anyone, was in 1989.
ioniser said:
if you did 5 questions out of 8 ,that is already a band 6 definielty.Take a look at the 4 unit overall raw assesment marks on this forum ,um no one gets like 90percent as their raw asses mark.60-70 percent is heaps gud
I'm pretty sure people have scored raw marks above 90 before.
Raw marks of 90 or above have been scored in the CSSA trials before, which are dubbed as being much harder than the actual HSC exam.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
batigol said:
a guy who topped my school 2 yrs ago told me if u get 5.5/8 question all right then u r guaranteed 90+ (thats a raw mark of abt 70%)

is it true though
I won;t say you're guaranteed...
Last year I scribbled absolue gibberish for the last two questions and I got 90.
But my internal mark was about 89, raw.

PyRo999

HSC
i dunno wat drugs u guys are on, i visited other schools with 4 unit ppl and i knew heaps more than them, sure they knew random formulas and crap but their ability to manipulate them was poor, they were amazed that i could do all the imaginary numbers garbage in my head, but its not hard for me. 4 unit is a course that if u can do it u can do it, if u cant no amount of hard work or effort is gonna change that. And yeah, after talking to those guys who arent as good as me at the 'elite' schools (with sum exceptions, this one guy i met was a freak) i doubt i got 50% in the test, so say wat u want about the scaling, but its huge. A few years back a dude i know called shane trinton answerd less than half the test and got over 90, but that was a hard test, as was this years, if ur not sure if u can do it than give it a go, u can always drop it later

no_one

HSC
A l said:
If you choose to go on to take Mathematics Extension 2 for Year 12, then a mark out of 100 comes from your Mathematics Extension 1 assessment and a mark out of 100 comes from your Mathematics Extension 2 assessment.
Notice how the weighting of Mathematics Extension 1 is different for students who do Mathematics Extension 1 and students who do Mathematics Extension 2.
I'm slightly confused about this...

So basically, if you choose to do both Extension 1 and Extension 2, they take a total of 4 units from these two subjects (ie. not including Advanced Maths) for the calculation of the UAI?

And so accordingly, do I type in a mark out of 100 in the SAM?

Last edited:

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
basically, if you only do 3u maths then your 2u counts as 2 units and your 3u counts only as 1 unit. but if you do 4u BOTH your 3u and 4u count as 2 units, and your 2u maths doesn't really count.

P

pLuvia

If you do 4u then the 4u counts as 2 units and the 3u counts as 2 units, 2unit marks are not counted
If you 3u then the 2u counts as 2 units and 3u counts as 1 unit

P

pLuvia

no_one said:
I'm slightly confused about this...

So basically, if you choose to do both Extension 1 and Extension 2, they take a total of 4 units from these two subjects (ie. not including Advanced Maths) for the calculation of the UAI?

And so accordingly, do I type in a mark out of 100 in the SAM?
Yeh,

4 unit
4 unit out of 100
3 unit out of 100
thus both count as 2unit subjects

BUT

if you do only 3 unit
3 unit out of 50
2unit out of 100

no_one

HSC
So if 2 Unit doesn't count at all...then for the SAM do I just input a mark of 0?

Also, does that mean 2 unit is not counted even if you happen to fail Extension 2?

P

pLuvia

If you do 4u then you don't even have a 2u mark, so you don't put the subject in unless you only do 3u

If you fail 4u then your screwed if you only have 10 units, either than that you can drop it and they estimate your 2u mark I think

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Yes, just to reiterate what kadlil said, make sure you're doing at least 10 units plus the extra unit of extension 2 maths, so if you stuff up MX2, then you've still got at least 10 units to count your UAI.

A l

HSC
N/A
In regards to whether to take the course or not, here are a few considerations to take into account:
Mathematics + Mathematics Extension 1
Advantage(s):
- You have the chance to ace the 2 Unit Mathematics assessment tasks
- 2 Unit Mathematics would count for a whole 2 units, so if you do well in the 2 unit course, then you have a whole 2 units of backup in case you do badly in the Extension assessment tasks
Disadvantage(s):
- Mathematics Extension 1 is a well scaled but demanding course, so if you do well in it, then it would only count for 1 unit

Mathematics + Mathematics Extension 1 + Mathematics Extension 2
Advantage(s):
- Both Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2 scale well, so if you do well in at least one of them, then you have a good 2 units back up in case you do badly in the other assessment tasks
- You still do 5 hours worth of exams and you do not have to attempt the 2 Unit Mathematics assessment tasks (although it would be a good idea to do them for practice for Extension 1)
Disadvantage(s)
- Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2 are very demanding courses and their unit values are 2 each even though they are both 1 unit courses. Doing assessment tasks for courses of 1 unit value which would count in the UAI as twice those values with the additional learning background from the Mathematics 2 Unit course can be risky especially if you are not very talented at Mathematics, so if you do badly in both of them then you have no 2 unit Mathematics for back up

If you do Mathematics Extension 2, there would be no 2 Unit Mathematics mark at all, since that exam is not attempted even if you do fail Extension 2.
If you happen to do very badly (which is a rare case due to its high scaling) in Mathematics Extension 2, then you have a whole 2 units of Mathematics Extension 1 to redeem yourself. You would not have a 2 Unit Mathematics back up at all. So in the Student Assessment Modeller, if you take Mathematics Extension 2, you should not enter values for the Mathematics course because it won't count at all in reality.

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
ur getting 60% and wanna do 4u... hm i would seriously re consider
i stuffed up my 3u, and i didnt get less than 80% in 3u and im a 4u student. thats the sorta standard u have 2 have, and i was only an avg 4u, not a good 1. allingment wise, a 60% will get u an E3, and bout 75% will get u an E4. 4u a 50% will get u an E3 while a 60-65% will get an E4... again it depends on difficluty of test 2

Pianpupodoel

Neurotic Member
HSC
Suppose an 06er accelerates 2unit mathematics, gets a relatively high mark (say 98), and then goes onto ext2 mathematics.
This person then subsequently flunks ext2, but does relatively well in ext1. Would the 2unit marks come into play?
Alternatively, say this person fails ext1, and does really well in ext2, is it possible for the 2unit marks to be counted?

Essentially, the question is, under what circumstances would one use their accelerated 2unit mark in their calculation for the UAI?

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
Pianpupodoel said:
Suppose an 06er accelerates 2unit mathematics, gets a relatively high mark (say 98), and then goes onto ext2 mathematics.
This person then subsequently flunks ext2, but does relatively well in ext1. Would the 2unit marks come into play?
Alternatively, say this person fails ext1, and does really well in ext2, is it possible for the 2unit marks to be counted?

Essentially, the question is, under what circumstances would one use their accelerated 2unit mark in their calculation for the UAI?
never .

P

pLuvia

Unless you drop your Maths Extension 2 before you do the HSC test, then yes your 2u maths mark will count from then on. If you do the MX1 hsc test and you do really bad, then your 2u maths mark won't count if you still have MX2

therese27

To Lazarus with love and thanks

Well, you should be very proud of SAM 2004. After all my worry (and I'm sorry for bothering you yesterday about the scaling etc - I DID go and read the booklet "You and Your UAI" in detail after the Bored of Studies team e-mailed me your response) and Sam came out tops. It predicted 90.35 and this morning right on 9 am I got my mark - 90.15! I'm stoked and am so grateful to you and all at boredofstudies. Incidentally, for those who are interested JUAIseek predicted 89, still pretty good but not as accurate as SAM. For future students, I'd say: take to heart the caveat that SAM (& JUAIseek) are ONLY indicators and also READ everything you get from the Board of Studies and UAC VERY carefully. As someone whose feet have not yet reached back down to ground, all I can say is thanks heaps to the team at boredofstudies. Keep up the great and much appreciated work you do. As for me, this is just the end of the beginning. Now starts the beginning of the rest of my academic (and for now, partying) life. lol Therese27

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)