Maths 3 unit and 4 unit uai and scaling (1 Viewer)

Birdman89

HSC
i am currently in year 11 and doign 3 unit maths. I am averaging about 60% (i can do alot better). I was of taking up 4 unit maths for yr 12, with getting help from a tutor. I was wondering how much 4 unit + 3 unit maths would be scaled. Also, if i were to just to 3 unit maths, and have 11 units, how would that extra unit of maths get scaled into my best 10 units?

tennille

HSC
I averaged in the 60s and low 70s in 3 unit maths during yr 12 (i got 50% for one of my exams, though). I reckon I got a raw mark of 60-something in the 3 unit HSC exam, and I got scaled to 41/50 for the HSC.

tempco

HSC
i probably got around 80-85 raw mark in the hsc, and i got a 48/50.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
remember that if you do 4u, 2 units of 3u will count.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
but say if you may not be ranked first and though you might get a raw mark of 80 something, you wont get that mark... ggr..

tempco

HSC
i wasn't ranked first. i was ranked 4th out of 25.

A l

HSC
N/A
Birdman89 said:
i am currently in year 11 and doign 3 unit maths. I am averaging about 60% (i can do alot better). I was of taking up 4 unit maths for yr 12, with getting help from a tutor. I was wondering how much 4 unit + 3 unit maths would be scaled. Also, if i were to just to 3 unit maths, and have 11 units, how would that extra unit of maths get scaled into my best 10 units?
It really depends on how you go in Year 12. If you do badly in Mathematics Extension 2, then it may not help you at all in terms of scaling. Usually people in the Mathematics Extension courses have a high average performance band. I recall that last year about 60% of the candidature for Mathematics Extension 2 scored a scaled mark of 90 or above. According to your indicated marks, I would say wait and see, because at this rate I would still have doubts on whether or not you should take up Mathematics Extension 2. Remember, don't choose a course solely on the basis of scaling.
In terms of your best ten units, and calculation of the UAI, the statement still holds true in terms of scaled marks. Any 2 unit course that is not counted in your UAI, but is still needed to fill up the best 10 units, is "halved". In other words one unit is taken from that course instead of two. Remember that each 2 unit course makes up 100 out of 500 of your total marks used for the UAI. 1 unit and Extension courses make up 50 marks. So basically, a 2 unit course would be split if it had the lowest scaled mark but if it is still needed for the UAI then it would be counted as one unit as a mark out of 50. So, I would say that if you have other courses where you have performed lower than your Mathematics Extension performance in terms of grade rankings, then it shoudn't be a worry on whether or not it would be included in calculation of your UAI.

A l

HSC
N/A
Also, I forgot to mention that if you stick to Mathematics Extension 1 for Year 12, then a mark out of 100 comes from your Mathematics 2 Unit assessment and a mark out of 50 comes from your Mathematics Extension 1 assessment.
If you choose to go on to take Mathematics Extension 2 for Year 12, then a mark out of 100 comes from your Mathematics Extension 1 assessment and a mark out of 100 comes from your Mathematics Extension 2 assessment.
Notice how the weighting of Mathematics Extension 1 is different for students who do Mathematics Extension 1 and students who do Mathematics Extension 2.

krystalp

HSC
marks

dont think that just because you are doing extension you'll get scaled up from that 50 to a 90. your expected to get that 90, and if you dont...bummer...cause you get scaled down massively. that's the point of extension causes.....if you cant get greata marks in them, id seriosly consider dropping them. you'll do more harm than good.
a girl in my extension class was told to drop it because she couldn't get 80's.

P

pLuvia

krystalp said:
dont think that just because you are doing extension you'll get scaled up from that 50 to a 90. your expected to get that 90, and if you dont...bummer...cause you get scaled down massively. that's the point of extension causes.....if you cant get greata marks in them, id seriosly consider dropping them. you'll do more harm than good.
a girl in my extension class was told to drop it because she couldn't get 80's.
scaling subjects does not mean if u get 50 or a crappy mark it will scale you to a 90 or something, you have to do well in it to get the scaling, so if your a doing a scaling subject or doing a subject for its scaling and you are doing crap i recommend you drop it, or you'll be disappointed later on and say "omg stupid subject so much for the scaling"

volition

arr.
HSC
I think its really quite stupid how Ext II students get their 3 unit to count for 2 units. They spend the EXACT same amount of time in '3 unit class' as normal Ext I students, so why should they have it count for TWICE as much ??? (the scaling for 3 unit maths is generally pretty good isn't it? Meaning that it has an even greater effect)

krystalp

HSC
kadlil said:
scaling subjects does not mean if u get 50 or a crappy mark it will scale you to a 90 or something, you have to do well in it to get the scaling, so if your a doing a scaling subject or doing a subject for its scaling and you are doing crap i recommend you drop it, or you'll be disappointed later on and say "omg stupid subject so much for the scaling"

thats what i said! hahaha....

DNOMYAR

does anyone hav a clue abt wat kind of raw Maths ext II marks are needed to attain a hsc mark of somfin like 80 or 90?

yook

HSC
or wat raw mark would u need to get 70??

what would 50% in hsc [raw] would get u aligned?

batigol

Giant
HSC
a guy who topped my school 2 yrs ago told me if u get 5.5/8 question all right then u r guaranteed 90+ (thats a raw mark of abt 70%)

is it true though

krystalp

HSC
because it is to far below the average to be scaled up that high. good scaling or not, a mark that low is not able to jump from 70 to 90+.
im pretty sure there is a minimal 75 required to jump up to 90+ in any subject........but maybe i'm wrong

A l

HSC
N/A
Last year, approximately 40% of the candidature of Mathematics Extension 2 scored a scaled mark of 90 or above in that course. That should give you an idea of how enormous the scaling is said to be. Keep in mind that 27.75% of the state candidature already scored an aligned mark of 90 or above last year.

ioniser

HSC
no no i did ext2 for a while,and it is totally different from other courses,3u has scaling of about 15 while 4u has scaling of about 20.Also the 4 unit course is designed so that you can't finish the paper,note no one has ever finished the paper,there is heaps of random shit in it.Like questions that uni ppl can't solve and they stuff it in there, to see if anyone can.if you did 5 questions out of 8 ,that is already a band 6 definielty.Take a look at the 4 unit overall raw assesment marks on this forum ,um no one gets like 90percent as their raw asses mark.60-70 percent is heaps gud

You also get a 100 percent in 2 unit,but mind you 4 unit is so boring the onli thing u'll be doing is maths ,if your an average student compared with the very smrt ppl.4 unit isnt that simple its uni maths no course assumes it for assumed knowledge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)