Mathematics - General thoughts on the exam (2 Viewers)

iamben

HSC
HilaryLush said:
yes, an integral can be used to measure the area under a curve, but if they just ask for the integral (which they did in qu10) then it can be positive or negative. it was a reasonably simple qu i think but they probably put it in qu 10 to confuse people with its negative value
yes but whats the difference between a definate integral and the area under a curve? nothing, they are the same thing - the same rules apply if its simpsons rule or whether you use integration. I'm pretty sure anyway, if anyone KNOWS i am happy to be corrected

Silver_88

HSC
Yeah i thought the paper, overall was quite good, compared to last year it was much easier, but question 9 and 10 were still insane, i was so lost in question 10, im hoping for about 2/12, even three unit people were like hmmm question 10, us poor 2 units were allll very lost :S ah well, maths is over, i think i felt more relief when english was over, its still a good feeling, we will never ever have to do calculus again, cause it really isnt going to come in useful ever haha

jamesgreenwood

HSC
N/A
iamben said:
yes but whats the difference between a definate integral and the area under a curve? nothing, they are the same thing - the same rules apply if its simpsons rule or whether you use integration. I'm pretty sure anyway, if anyone KNOWS i am happy to be corrected
I am absolutely 100% certain that 'evaluate' does involve finding the area, only the mathematical expression. The answer should be negative and not have been done in two parts!

cam_0407

HSC
what did u get for Q4 the garden

Last edited:

Loz_metalhead

HSC
For question 4b) were we supposed to times the area by 1/2 at the end? I didnt...I got 8units^2. What did everyone else get?

NeoKyo

gstains ghetto! represent
HSC
jamesgreenwood said:
I am absolutely 100% certain that 'evaluate' does involve finding the area, only the mathematical expression. The answer should be negative and not have been done in two parts!
Evaluate - Determine the value of (from Board of Studies)

guess it just means total area between the curve and x axis, postive and negative combined; not absolute value of the area between the curve and axis.

snowbunny

HSC
jamesgreenwood said:
im pretty sure you only find the area if they ask for it..if it just says evaluate you just integrate it

like in an odd or even function...if they dont ask for the area you just solve it and the answer will be zero because you simply do the integration

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
iamben said:
If it doesn't ask specifically for the area you do the integration or the Simpson's approximation in one part. It's just a value, not a physical thing.

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
The exam was pretty cool, except some silly and lame mistakes. Let's challenge anyone to post solutions on from 1-10, so we can all know wat we got b4 we get shocked with our marks(i don;t know if this is a good or bad thing).

Anyway can some hero tell me wat they got for
> The garden bed qn

>the last part of qn 10

*Also can some superhero tell me wat the hell happens with the scaling process.

THanx a bunch

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Overall I liked the paper. 1-7 were fine except for 3.a, which I over-analysed and found my own 'misprint' in. I really liked the bird population one, but I could've sworn that exponential decay with a limiting factor was 3U material.

8 was challenging but I got it all done eventually, with pages of algebra for the interest repayments. 9 I could only do the tank - I hate hate hate parabolas and such things.

10.a was surprisingly easy, but 10.b was shocking. I only attempted one mark's worth out of 10. All in all, hopefully about 105/120.

Irskin

HSC
I smashed everything up till 10 (b) which then fucked me in the arse. Overall though, i probably should get somewhere between 108 and 115 so im pretty happy with that

xxPanDa

HSC
SHYT! i absolute valued simspsons rule on the last min ><
do they scale up in 2u?

i fink i got around 80% (mostlikely under..cause of silly mistakes)

Nesty

Proud TB =)
HSC
was shitting myself before the exam but all was good and expected till about question 8. grr.

question 10 b was wtf. scabbed the one mark questions and that's about it.

... here comes the ext 1 exam. arghh.

all_of_myself

HSC
HeathcoteMitch said:
As said above, 9 and 10 where hard, the rest of the paper was a good layout with relatively answerable questions, i feel for the peoplethat dont do 3 unit, dont stress, it was a hard paper
We really need to figure out that spelling of yours, Mitchell.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
beentherdunthat said:
im sory ur mathematical section of ur brain isn't workin... and huny i am doin accelerated english so lay yourself low in jealousy .. and bi the way get ur facts straight coz im not lookin at an extensin english paper and i dont have to take the time out to spell corectly..
What the hell are you talking about? You're an arrogant year 11 student- you have plenty of time to use proper grammar and spelling. "Ur mathematical section of ur brain"? Are you SURE you're accelerated?

celery

HSC
i thought question 1-7 was alrite
question 8 was BLEH coz i suck at motion
question 9 was alrite
and i could only do 10a. i didnt even bother looking at 10b.
and i double checked EVERYTHING so hopefully no stupid mistakes are made! *beams* hehee...cant wait till ext 1 is over!

emma max

Ancient Member
HSC
iamben said:
simpsons rule easy as? - i almost got it wrong because i didn't realise till i had finished the question that you had to do it in two parts. the first function was negative, the second was zero and the third was a positive. so you had to calculate from 0.5 to 1 and then add that to the calculation of 1 to 1.5. Thats why they had it in question 10 - it actually was harder unless you straight away realised the correct approach
bugger! that would explain how i ended up with a negative number...hmmm well there goes 2 marks :(

saouma

HSC
gordo said:
i couldn't do question 1
you know why you couldnt do question one!! cuase your a f**king JEW!! My parents are from Nazi backround, doesnt mean i have to display my nazi origins you fooL! you're australian take that jew star off and put the Australian flag

Amy Dora

HSC
oo damn, yea i got a negative too, so i just put absolute lines around it to make it positive.. i screwed that up.

I didn't think the test was hard.. i just couldn't do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)