Mathematics - General thoughts on the exam (1 Viewer)

fishy89sg

HSC
i didnt do that :( sorry to break the pattern

omgosh i left out 7 marks of questions

Irradiated

HSC
seriously guys, you need to get over the exam, we did it, its over, whether we did good or not only determines our future, the universities we attend, and how much money we are likely to earn. relax, even if your mark doesnt get you into the course you want, its not the only way, its only one exam. It's not the end of the world, if you read my creative writing in english, thats coming in a few years for us.

all_of_myself

HSC
Irradiated said:
seriously guys, you need to get over the exam, we did it, its over, whether we did good or not only determines our future, the universities we attend, and how much money we are likely to earn. relax, even if your mark doesnt get you into the course you want, its not the only way, its only one exam. It's not the end of the world, if you read my creative writing in english, thats coming in a few years for us.
FINALLY!
The only reason i'm stressed and worried about this piece of shit hsc is because everyone is acting like it's the end of the world.

licia101

HSC
come on now the test was hard but it's over. Look on the bright side....it seems that tool "beentherdunthat" hasn't posted in awhile

HSC
ringout13 said:
Shutup You Geeks, It Was The Hardest Exam Ever In The History Of The Hsc! Shutup Because It Was Hard Not Easy, No1 Will Be Able To Get Over Band 4, I Cant Believe The Bos Would Put Ext 1 Maths In The Paper! What A Joke! I Attempted At Least The First 5 Questions. The Rest Was Bludy Ext Maths! I Am Aiming For 20%, Realistically What Mark Do You Think You Will All Get. Shutup Bout Band 5, You Will Be Lucky To Get Band 3!
Hahahaha I'm not sure on whether or not how true the three unit thing was....it may very well have been...but I do three unit anyway so chances are I knew how to do it =P.....of course you probably didn't study enough seeing as though there are a lot of good students out there who dont do three unit and get awesome marks...but now that you mention it....i did learn a lot of my two unit stuff through three unit study...which made my two unit knowledge alright but my three unit none the better...yep am screwed for tomoro =P

As for how well I went...I didn't attempt about 15-20 marks worth overall...and allowing the odd mistake/transcript error.... I would say about 85-95 out of 120...I'm fairly confident of getting a band 5, but I'm hoping for a 6...

Last edited:

deniseee

HSC
tiramisu25489 said:
I started blanking out.. a while into the test.. and sat there.. staring at the ceiling.. and then went 'oh crap! maths!' and proceeding to try and finish it..
realised I totally did not know that the probability question was non-replacement --> byebye 4 marks :( skipped majority of question 10, got some question 9 stuffed up.. life.. is not positively beeming right now.

atleast maths is over :)
heyya u noe wat grl it aint ur fault for not realising it was non- replacement coz the question wasnt clear.i did solutions for both replacemnt and non- replacement just incase dnt stress but...b cool hehe hope d rest worked out for ya

maccaman

Banana's in your mama's.
HSC
lissamaher said:
I thought the exam was pretty good. I was happy to get out hte loan repayments question. But i will admit I didnt do question 10. It was too hard. and the the cone stuff in question 9. But fair paper i spose.
qft

maccaman

Banana's in your mama's.
HSC
ringout13 said:
Shutup You Geeks, It Was The Hardest Exam Ever In The History Of The Hsc! Shutup Because It Was Hard Not Easy, No1 Will Be Able To Get Over Band 4, I Cant Believe The Bos Would Put Ext 1 Maths In The Paper! What A Joke! I Attempted At Least The First 5 Questions. The Rest Was Bludy Ext Maths! I Am Aiming For 20%, Realistically What Mark Do You Think You Will All Get. Shutup Bout Band 5, You Will Be Lucky To Get Band 3!

Sorry to double-post but this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. You have GOT to be joking right? I got through the whole paper (other than question 10) and I crammed two days before! I'm not even that good at 2u and I did better than "band 3".

Oh and a geek wouldn't even do 2u.

thehootman

HSC
Ok i'm an accelerant and did all of the past papers (over time, not right before) before this one. i can tell you that it was more difficult (for me) than all those previous ones.
I felt that everything was fine up until the vomit-inducing-geometric-garbage of question 10. I then realised after the exam I lost probably 20 marks :)mad1:)

Dont worry that it was hard - it was hard for everyone.
At least you feel that way rather than being cocky and then dissapointed when the results come out.

Priscilla899

HSC
nickyroony said:
You had to complete the square for the x side then add +9 to the y side so you end up with something like (x-3)^2 = 12y-12 if I remember correctly.

9 b) iii) I got 800L overflow. Anyone else?
9 c) ii) x=4a/3

Question 10 was a biatch =D
Yep i got 800 overflow and 4a/3. I remember that much.
I refused to take the paper home. For me, i know it will be unhealthy if i go over the questions............. already realised one really dumb mistake and that pissed me off enough. Good luck all!
But overall I thought it was anok exam. Not as hard as some but not bludgy either.

Priscilla899

HSC
NeoKyo said:
Evaluate - Determine the value of (from Board of Studies)

guess it just means total area between the curve and x axis, postive and negative combined; not absolute value of the area between the curve and axis.
yeah if its evaluate it can be negative. You just had to be careful withstuff like the area under the curve from -1 to 1 when y= x cubed and stuff like that.............if you just integrate it you get 0 because the two area cancel each other. If it was just evaluate you wouldn't get an area............

Priscilla899

HSC
Irskin said:
Oh FUCK! I just realised that in question 1, I sketched y = [x] + 4 and not y = [x + 4]. Oh well im confident thats the only marks i'll lose besides 5-6 in 10(b) so i'm still looking at 110+
I realised i did that at about 10 oclock the night of the exam. i was so pissed about it! how annoying is it to know you lost marks in question 1 of all questions.........lol

Priscilla899

HSC
Benmc said:
yeah thats correct.
WTF is with the BOS. THats like a three unit growth and decay question.
Nah it wasn't a 3u growth and decay question. I thought the same thing at first, but it only looked like one. The question said it was a model, so basically it was substitution into formulae and differentiation. It only would've been 3 unit if they'd said 'prove this is a solution to the differential equation' or something like that.

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
I must empahsise on how easy it was to make stupid mistakes in that exam. Being extremely long, boring and somewhat annoying near the end, the exam was tiring and there was a whirlpool of opportunities in which stupid mistakes were sought after.
The exam was not too terribly and menicingly difficult, but it would be a lie to say that it was easy, because many people in my center were not so pleased with some of the questions, some arguing that certain questions required 3U skills, which taken into context may prove to be correct. The good thing however is it is satisfying to know that maths is over and now most people can go and enjoy life, still begrudged by their anticipation to pursue their marks.

Criddle

HSC
saouma said:
my point is next time if you want to critise something/someone, please dont be such bias and critise everyone in the category that you're critising in!
Hate to shit on your parade mate, but that's pretty much exactly what you did in the first place, criticising that person for being Jewish. You have no right to criticise people's beliefs, or the way they choose to express them, despite your beliefs on world terrorism, which really don't have anything to do with the topic at hand, ie, your ethnocentric beliefs. Maybe you could open your mind a little and try to accept people for who they are, instead of stereotyping people according to their beliefs.

Now that's done, I thought the exam was pretty tough, but I didn't really time it properly, so i didn't end up finishing, I just hope my ranking will help a bit, I'm ranked 14/33 including the extension people, of which there are about 11

fleafly

HSC
damn i failed... it was shit. atleast it wont count if i do well in biology

HSC
saouma said:
America cowardly overtaking Iraq and Afganistan for no social or morally correct reason! ............. So my learned friend *sarcastic tone* next time you want to butt in.. know what you're talking about
lol, haha, aren't u being a bit hypocritical, america going and invading iraq and afghanistan for no moral reasson, yes, i agree that america are greedy, they just wanted the oil, however, isn't it true that hitler invaded pretty much the whole of Europe just to expand his power, "for no socially or morally correct reason" as u would put it

i think u shouldn' butt in unless you know wat ur talking about, sorry mate, but ur a big hypocritical there

and whats with all this discrimination all of a sudden, we are a multicultural society and we resp[ect each other's views, so if u got nothing nice to say, then stfu

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
Firstly, we are not here to talk about our political views, this is a mathematics fourm discussing how we felt about the HSC exam, not a forum on politics.
As 'pospinator' said we are in a multicultural society where it is incorrect and immoral for both parties to discriminate on basis of race.
So, how did yous guysfind the exam?(changing the topic lol)

un 1

HSC
N/A
the exam requires a lot of scaling bcz it was 2 difficult.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)