MATH1131: Importance of lectures and tutorials? (1 Viewer)

eileend

HSC
- my questions might be a little stupid =/ but here it is..
I'm kinda stuck on my timetabling for this semester

so atm for my timetable on friday ive only got these classes on:
Maths1131 tutorial from 11-12
Maths1131 lecture from 12-2

i was thinking of moving my Maths tutorial to another day and just leave the Maths lecture on friday (so its my only class on friday)

Since they dont check attendance for lectures is it alright to sometimes miss the lecture (so i can have the friday off) or is it better to go to the lecture? (any suggestions?)

and are tutorials super important?

- eileen :shy:

Last edited:

Alkanes

HSC
You don't have to attend to your assigned lecture, since you can crash into other ones if you don't have anything running between that time. Why bother attending uni if you only have 1 lecture to attend?

And yes you must attend tutorials since they mark you down for attendance.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I suggest going to the lectures for MATH1131 because the lecturers don't usually put the worked solutions for examples in the lecture notes and worked solutions are the most important thing imo.

HSC
Uni Grad
i skipped most of math1141 lectures and ended up with a HD

also tutorials aren't compulsory for first year (in maths and chem at least)

yes they do mark attendance but that doesn't mean anything (it even says so in the course manual or somewhere)

i only went to 5 math1241 tutes and almost no lectures in sem 2 (yes i still got a HD)

i got into the talented students program for both math1141 and math1241

first year maths is easy peasy japanesy

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
- my questions might be a little stupid =/ but here it is..
I'm kinda stuck on my timetabling for this semester

so atm for my timetable on friday ive only got these classes on:
Maths1131 tutorial from 11-12
Maths1131 lecture from 12-2

i was thinking of moving my Maths tutorial to another day and just leave the Maths lecture on friday (so its my only class on friday)

Since they dont check attendance for lectures is it alright to sometimes miss the lecture (so i can have the friday off) or is it better to go to the lecture? (any suggestions?)

and are tutorials super important?

- eileen :shy:
Well, how did you go in the HSC? 1131 is basically 3u and 4u revision in Calculus, and new stuff in Algebra.

Personally I'd suggest going to the lectures because there are some new concepts such as matrices and the like no one has seen before - and... it might be helpful to receive instruction on it.

Also skipping lectures is a bad habit to get into anyway.

I suggest going to the lectures for MATH1131 because the lecturers don't usually put the worked solutions for examples in the lecture notes and worked solutions are the most important thing imo.
But you have the course notes. Or did you mean tutorials :p

Tutorials provide worked solutions.

D94

HSC
N/A
But you have the course notes. Or did you mean tutorials :p

Tutorials provide worked solutions.
A lot of the lecture slides contain questions the lecturers do in the lectures. They rarely include the worked solutions part in the slides they upload to Blackboard. That is one technique to make students go to lectures. The course notes are good, but the example questions are generally easier - they are just a guide.

Sure you can ask it again in the tutorials, but you'd be wasting everyone else's time.

eileend

HSC
Well, how did you go in the HSC? 1131 is basically 3u and 4u revision in Calculus, and new stuff in Algebra.

Personally I'd suggest going to the lectures because there are some new concepts such as matrices and the like no one has seen before - and... it might be helpful to receive instruction on it.
I think i did alright, got high band 5's for 2U and 3U (missed B6 by 1 mark...for both subs).
maybe i might as well just keep the tut on friday then, and then go to the lecture then.

i skipped most of math1141 lectures and ended up with a HD

also tutorials aren't compulsory for first year (in maths and chem at least)

yes they do mark attendance but that doesn't mean anything (it even says so in the course manual or somewhere)

i only went to 5 math1241 tutes and almost no lectures in sem 2 (yes i still got a HD)

i got into the talented students program for both math1141 and math1241

first year maths is easy peasy japanesy
if you only went to 5 tut's for sem2 doesnt it screw up the 80% attendance? or does the 80% attendance apply to all the subjects (missing some of maths but still going to chem, bio etc. to balance out the 80% attendance)

another ques: are we allowed to change our tutorial/lecture times in the beginning/middle of the semester?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I think i did alright, got high band 5's for 2U and 3U (missed B6 by 1 mark...for both subs).
maybe i might as well just keep the tut on friday then, and then go to the lecture then.
That's fine.

if you only went to 5 tut's for sem2 doesnt it screw up the 80% attendance? or does the 80% attendance apply to all the subjects (missing some of maths but still going to chem, bio etc. to balance out the 80% attendance)

another ques: are we allowed to change our tutorial/lecture times in the beginning/middle of the semester?
For maths... they don't really enforce it. 80% attendance per subject.

And only until Census Date I think, after that you have to apply for transfer because your name is marked on a roll and they have to arrange your name to be moved and etc. etc.

eileend

HSC
For maths... they don't really enforce it. 80% attendance per subject.

And only until Census Date I think, after that you have to apply for transfer because your name is marked on a roll and they have to arrange your name to be moved and etc. etc.
Thanks :) , thats good that they dont really enforce the 80% attendance (hoping to go on holiday for like... 4-5 days... and missing 2-3 days of uni)

are there guides for each subject saying what the attendance percentage has to be?

i might check with unsw for the first two weeks, see what happens, since i might need to change my chinese class level as well.

anyways guise, Thanks for the answers, kinda made up my mind now :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Officially it's 80% but with maths, the tutors usually don't bother. But your tutor might.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks :) , thats good that they dont really enforce the 80% attendance (hoping to go on holiday for like... 4-5 days... and missing 2-3 days of uni)

are there guides for each subject saying what the attendance percentage has to be?

i might check with unsw for the first two weeks, see what happens, since i might need to change my chinese class level as well.

anyways guise, Thanks for the answers, kinda made up my mind now :)
The only time they might care about tutorial attendance if you get a mark between 45-49 and they are deciding if they should fail you or give you a pass conceded.

eileend

HSC
Heys guys, for maths There are these two time times:
Lecture T1 3625 LEC2 Open 309/369 Thu 11:00 - 13:00 (Weeks:1-4,5-12), Fri 12:00 - 14:00 (Weeks:1-4,5-12)
Lecture T1 3627 LEC4 Open 319/369 Tue 12:00 - 14:00 (Weeks:1-4,5-12), Fri 09:00 - 11:00 (Weeks:1-4,5-12)

ATM im enrolled in the 3625 one.
say i dont want to go to that lecture thats in the middle of the day (fri 12-2), can i go to the fri 9-11?
is the content the same for both?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yes. But they're different streams taught by different pairs of lecturers - so one might be faster, one might be slower.

It'll be okay if you keep to the same stream if possible. If you have to switch, you may be a bit behind - or a bit ahead and you may miss a few bits of info.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Heys guys, for maths There are these two time times:
Lecture T1 3625 LEC2 Open 309/369 Thu 11:00 - 13:00 (Weeks:1-4,5-12), Fri 12:00 - 14:00 (Weeks:1-4,5-12)
Lecture T1 3627 LEC4 Open 319/369 Tue 12:00 - 14:00 (Weeks:1-4,5-12), Fri 09:00 - 11:00 (Weeks:1-4,5-12)

ATM im enrolled in the 3625 one.
say i dont want to go to that lecture thats in the middle of the day (fri 12-2), can i go to the fri 9-11?
is the content the same for both?
Same content but the lecturers use their own notes and as sd the timing of each class is different.
Try and go to the Algebra stream taught by Milan Pahor, you don't ever have to do homework just go to his classes and you will get at least a D.

addoil

HSC
I thought MATH1131 had 1 lecture and 2 tutorials?

D94

HSC
N/A
I thought MATH1131 had 1 lecture and 2 tutorials?
There's 2 options available; you choose 1 of them. In each option, there's 4 lectures split into 2 time slots. Each time slot there are 2 lectures - 1 for algebra, 1 for calculus - 1 hour each.

There are also 2 tutorials - 1 for algebra, 1 for calculus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)