Master of commerce at USYD or UNSW (1 Viewer)

pinkfloydlsd

HSC
now i know this has been posted a hundred times...all over this forum....but im looking for specific advice. So i've been given offers to Master of commerce at USYD or master of commerce/economics at UNSW.

I feel that USYD would b a better 'fit' in regards to the social life, travel etc. bc quite frankly if i wanted to be surrounded by asian students that can't speak english i would go to a university in Asia...not UNSW...don't have anything against asian people...just don't want to feel like an outsider! However, I have heard that the master of commerce/economics (at UNSW) is an excellent degree and allows u to undertake 3 majors...my dilemma therefore is...is the USYD master of commerce a good degree?

When i refer to 'good degree' i am mostly looking at it from an employability perspective after graduation???

thanks for any advice

amaccas

HSC
N/A
I think you're going a bit overboard with the generalisations there. There's quite a few international students, but to say you're going to be surrounded by people who can't speak English is a bit much.

And to answer your question, I'm sure the USYD degree is excellent. Hopefully someone who has done the subject, or knows more about it than me, can confirm this.

spence

HSC
its a commerce degree, there are going to be a lot of internationals regardless

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
I don't think the race of your peers should factor in.

If it does, this reflects your maturity and obviously the seriousness of your decision making becomes void. Also, we are talking a masters program here, so 'social life' is also less of a concern (no longer an undergrad looking for parties??)

On that basis, who would want to employ you?

I'd consider it only on it's academic merits, the customisation of the program for your specific needs (ie does one degree offer specific elective units that you would like yet the other doesn't), travelling costs etc

IMO whilst I don't know your personal situation, I'd say that either will be fine as both are respectable programs at well recognised universities. Congratulations on the offers. :D

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
now i know this has been posted a hundred times...all over this forum....but im looking for specific advice. So i've been given offers to Master of commerce at USYD or master of commerce/economics at UNSW.

I feel that USYD would b a better 'fit' in regards to the social life, travel etc. bc quite frankly if i wanted to be surrounded by asian students that can't speak english i would go to a university in Asia...not UNSW...don't have anything against asian people...just don't want to feel like an outsider! However, I have heard that the master of commerce/economics (at UNSW) is an excellent degree and allows u to undertake 3 majors...my dilemma therefore is...is the USYD master of commerce a good degree?

When i refer to 'good degree' i am mostly looking at it from an employability perspective after graduation???

thanks for any advice
There's an actual masters for both commerce/economics at UNSW? I thought it was master of commerce or economics seperately??

Anyway, just go to USYD. It seems you care more about who you do your degree with than where you do it...

pinkfloydlsd

HSC
There's an actual masters for both commerce/economics at UNSW? I thought it was master of commerce or economics seperately??

Anyway, just go to USYD. It seems you care more about who you do your degree with than where you do it...
No if i cared more about who i did my degree with i would have just chosen Sydney straight up and not asked this question.

It's not that i'm looking for parties or friends to party with ...i have friends for that...just people that you can talk and study with at uni....that's all....and this is why I would prefer less international students. I may not have expressed myself clearly in the first message.

I have lived in Japan for a year, also Europe and America...I have no problem with race at all, however, if I believe
that it will disadvantage me at University then yes I will take it into
consideration. The reason being is that it limits my opportunity for group study, group assignments/presentations etc.

thank you for your replies. sorry tallkid 4...wat i meant by that is that the economics and commerce degrees are supposed to be good at UNSW.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
No if i cared more about who i did my degree with i would have just chosen Sydney straight up and not asked this question.

It's not that i'm looking for parties or friends to party with ...i have friends for that...just people that you can talk and study with at uni....that's all....and this is why I would prefer less international students. I may not have expressed myself clearly in the first message.

I have lived in Japan for a year, also Europe and America...I have no problem with race at all, however, if I believe
that it will disadvantage me at University then yes I will take it into
consideration. The reason being is that it limits my opportunity for group study, group assignments/presentations etc.

thank you for your replies. sorry tallkid 4...wat i meant by that is that the economics and commerce degrees are supposed to be good at UNSW.
You're 22/23 looking to do a Masters degree, yet you have the grammar and sentence structure of a 17 year old?

GG.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
You're 22/23 looking to do a Masters degree, yet you have the grammar and sentence structure of a 17 year old?

GG.
The guy is an idiot... I still don't really know what degree exactly he is referring to?

Besides, it's ironic how he's lived in Japan and is now suddenly averse to being around lots of Asians?

How is it that you'd go living in probably the most racist country in the world (Japan) with an extremely homogenous population and then think he's automatically screwed when it comes to dealing with Asians somewhere else....

blue_chameleon

HSC
The guy is an idiot... I still don't really know what degree exactly he is referring to?

Besides, it's ironic how he's lived in Japan and is now suddenly averse to being around lots of Asians?

How is it that you'd go living in probably the most racist country in the world (Japan) with an extremely homogenous population and then think he's automatically screwed when it comes to dealing with Asians somewhere else....

pinkfloydlsd

HSC
haha that is hilarious...you're attacking me for my sentence structure...geez didn't realise that I was being marked on my grammar on these posts....do you think i write like this in exams or assignments!!!

If you're doubting whether or not I lived in Japan...quite frankly I don't care if you believe me or not...all i was asking is if UNSW or USYD are better for postgrad study...if you can't answer that question...then don't write anything!

There is almost no point in me checking this thread anymore because there have been no insightful comments...just criticisms from 17 year old HSC kids whose balls are yet to drop and feel big and tough on this forum but are probably little nerds who never stand up for themselves in real life...lets see how you react to someone making assumptions (although probably correct) about you.

Thank You to Velox who understood what I was saying...it's purely from a group work view and not a dislike for international students.

blue_chameleon

HSC
haha that is hilarious...you're attacking me for my sentence structure...geez didn't realise that I was being marked on my grammar on these posts....do you think i write like this in exams or assignments!!!

If you're doubting whether or not I lived in Japan...quite frankly I don't care if you believe me or not...all i was asking is if UNSW or USYD are better for postgrad study...if you can't answer that question...then don't write anything!

There is almost no point in me checking this thread anymore because there have been no insightful comments...just criticisms from 17 year old HSC kids whose balls are yet to drop and feel big and tough on this forum but are probably little nerds who never stand up for themselves in real life...lets see how you react to someone making assumptions (although probably correct) about you.

Thank You to Velox who understood what I was saying...it's purely from a group work view and not a dislike for international students.
It wasn't an attack, it was purely an observation.

You're asking for specific answers about future employability from a Masters degree and which uni is the better fit, although you questions are extremely vague to start with?

I honestly don't see how, given i'm sure plenty of other threads have been created on this topic, that even the more seasoned members to this forum are going to be able to answer your vague questions specifically.

All I can offer as a suggestion is to research the degrees in terms of differences in coursework/research from handbooks on the uni's websites, and weigh this up with the perceived international student populations of both uni's.

I think you're going to be disappointed with finding any significant replies here though. For the record, I was born in '85.

NL

HSC
In order to answer you question better, can I ask what your undergrad degree was?

Historically UNSW has a more mathematics focused course accross all of their degrees. Even their humanities have large slabs of statistics in the curriculum.

Both degrees are equally good and both uni's now have an equal amount of internationals. A large proportion of the asians you see in UNSW are actually local born asians who have no issues with communication.

This probably has more to do with the fact that UNSW is generally held in higher regard overseas(recognised in HK, Singapore and Malaysia) so asian families tend to prefer sending their kids there as it keeps more options open.

If you want to have a portable degree and work overseas then UNSW is probably better. If this is not an issue then Sydney is equally good.

If you already have a BComm degree you may want to consider the MBA programs as well.

pinkfloydlsd

HSC
hey NL...thanks for the advice. yeah I am hoping to work overseas once I have graduated, hopefully in London.

In regards to my undergrad degree I did a bachelor of business at mac uni majoring in economics and finance. Several people have informed me to major in other areas in my masters degree because employers prefer this, is this true??? This would suit me anyway as I'm wanting to get into consulting.

I considered an MBA but it requires 2 years work experience, something I don't have.

NL

HSC
Hard to say in your case and its difficult with the current economic climate since a lot of entry positions have been frozen in most financial institutions. I don't know what exactly you are targeting so I wouldn't want to dispense incorrect advice.

Generally once you have done a bachelor major in an area, doing a repeated masters in it will not help. They will teach you the same thing all over again in the coursework Masters, unless you want to do a research Masters and head into academia.

My advice to you would actually be to go get those 2 years of work experience under you belt at a consulting firm or one of the big 4, so you are clearer as to where you want to go and then come back and do you masters either in an area of speciality or diversify in an area that will progress your career.

This may be a MComm, MEco, MBA or even a MIS depending on where you career has taken you in 2-3 years time. If you work at a PWC or KPMG, you can probably get a secondment to the UK and bypass all the visa hassles. They may even pay for your masters if you are good enough.

MGSM and UTS have some MBA programs with less stringent entry criterior but if you are targeting London I would get the relevant work experience, sit your GMAT and do the AGSM MBA or MBS MBA as they are recognised in London (at least at the momment).

pinkfloydlsd

HSC
thanks for the advice. It would be ideal if i could get a grad job at a major consulting firm like Accenture, however, I was overseas for all of 2008 and will be away end of May, June and July so can't do any of the grad interviews...although at this stage i've only had one for IBM.

My GPA undergrad was only 68% and i think this, combined with the economy atm means it's very difficult for me to get entry into a grad program. I figure if I go back to uni and do a masters...put my head down...and focus on studying and extra-curricular activities and try for the 2011 grad programs both the economy and my better marks should get me entry.

So really the only decision atm is UNSW or USYD...and i'm still not sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)