Marks or Ranks (1 Viewer)

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
I got most of my Prelim marks back and in my opinion the marks that I received were bad mostly around 60 to 80 but however most of my ranks looks good somehow with

1. SDD: 3/17
2. Business Studies 3/116
3. Physics 12/27
4. 2 unit maths 11/86
5. 3 unit maths 15/42
6. Religion one 37/134
7. ENglish???

So just wondering if this was a HSC mark what will be its atar? Also is it enough to score a high atar with such good ranks but a mediocre mark. School ranks is 120. Also while I am at it, for SOR1 I have to get at least a mark of 60 overall through all my prelim assessments to do SOR1 for year 12 but I am assuming I got 55 to 58 overall coz I did bad for a group assignment. Is it possible to talk to the head teacher and say I did bad for the group task because of the other team members (because it is true) or give other reasons. Any suggestions???

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Usually, I hate doing group assignments because there's always a few idiots that don't do anything. When this happens, talk to the teacher as soon as possible and don't leave it last minute.

NinaChapps

HSC
Well, your atar will be half your hsc exam mark and half your moderated mark ( school assessments and that)
So, marks are definitely important for your actual hsc marks, as nothing will change that, but for your moderated mark, rank is more important. You obviously have to study hard to get high marks in the hsc, but if you do this continually throughout the year, your hard work will most likely gain you a good rank as well

D94

HSC
N/A
Your ranks don't mean anything to BOS. It's your marks which matter, although not the marks individually, but the difference in marks between each student.

So you're 3/17 in SDD, well that doesn't tell me how well you performed. If first has a raw mark of 90%, second has a raw mark of 85%, 3rd (you) has a mark of 60%, 5th to 17th ranges from 59 down to 50, then this tells me there are really only 2 well performing students and then the rest of the class. Even though you are ranked 3rd, it doesn't give perspective on how well you really performed.

Why is it that you can come 100/150 in James Ruse (or another high performing school) and get 93 in that subject? Because the majority of students performed well at school in terms of the marks they gained, AND, performed well in the HSC exams.

However, it comes down to the HSC exams. If everyone scored between say 95 and 80, then ALL moderated assessment marks and final HSC marks will generally lie between 95 and 80. So even if you only got 60's in a subject, that raw mark could potentially be moderated up to mark which reflects your performance with respect to the state.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)