Marks between first and second (1 Viewer)

superbird

HSC
Today I worked out that I ranked 2nd in Mathematics with 77.95%. My friend ranked first with 78%.
Obviously there is a very small amount of marks between us. How would this affect my moderated assessment mark upon completition of the HSC exam?
For instance, if I received 85 and he received 75, does he still get my 85 and I get 75 despite the very small difference with our original assessment marks?

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You'll receive whatever you get in the exam as your exam mark.

His moderated assessment mark will be equal to the top exam mark, and yours will be extremely close behind.

For examples:
www.boredofstudies.org/moderate.php

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
assessment marks, when redistributed are distributed according to relative differences between ranks.

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Hmm well this thread will do

Both Person A and Person B are ranked 1 in a class of 10. in the HSC Person A beats Person B. will Person B still get Person a mark simce they are both ranked 1?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
If two are ranked first the assesment mark the average of the top 2 exam marks for both. If I remember correctly.

chickenntaters

I have a similar situation in my physics class. The top assessment mark is 89%, while my one [2nd place] is 88.4%. However the other two people in my class have assessment marks of 78 and 79, and i don't think they'll do very well in the actual hsc exam because they consider it to be their back up subject.

What i want to know is if my moderated assessment mark will be adversely affected by this pretty large difference in assessment marks between the first two, and the last two in my class. Or, because our school assessment marks were so close, if i will still receive a moderated assessment mark extremely close to the 1st person's assessment mark [which will be the highest exam mark, right?]

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Your moderated assessment mark will be extremely close to the top exam mark.

CrashOveride

HSC
I am also ranked equal first for a subject. Can someone comment on how they worked out the aligned marks etc. for the internal assessment component ? Will both people get the highest exam mark as their school as.. mark ?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Xayma was correct.

If two students are ranked equal-first, they will both receive the average of the top two exam marks as their moderated assessment mark. For three students, it's the average of the top three exam marks, and so on.

CrashOveride

HSC
Lazarus said:
Xayma was correct.

If two students are ranked equal-first, they will both receive the average of the top two exam marks as their moderated assessment mark. For three students, it's the average of the top three exam marks, and so on.
oh ffs, that means my mod. ass. mark now depends upon most likely my mark in HSC and some other stooges.

I know this has been asked million times, but i think its lame the school won't tell you the marks. Extends to BOS also. Corruption is ripe.

kpq_sniper017

Lazarus said:
Xayma was correct.

suppose two students came equal first, and then in the hsc exam one of them beat the rest of the class by a fair distance (including the other one who also came first). wouldn't that be unfair to the student who did well, since the average would be taken? (even though it's unlikely, anything could happen).

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
pcx_demolition017 said:
suppose two students came equal first, and then in the hsc exam one of them beat the rest of the class by a fair distance (including the other one who also came first). wouldn't that be unfair to the student who did well, since the average would be taken?
No. When that student's moderated assessment mark (which is the same as that of the other student) is averaged with that student's examination mark (which is higher than that of the other student), the student comes out on top.

CrashOveride

HSC
Yeah he comes out on top, but his moderated assessment mark would have been damaged which means even though he is still "on top", because of the averaging of the HSC marks and the moderated marks he would suffer a bit in terms of marks, which ultimately affects UAI.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The difference is usually negligible.

There is no fairer way to determine the moderated assessment mark for students ranked equal-first. Remember that any method must also be applicable to scenarios where three, four or even five students are ranked equal-first.

CrashOveride

HSC
Usually negligible? If in the HSC the top two marks from this particular class were like 95 and 80, then the average taken and given to both students would be 87.5 so for the top student taking this ass. mark and averaging with the HSC exam mark yields 91.25 so 91. Compared with 95, it's a bit of a blow.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
It would be quite rare for the top two exam marks to be so far apart when an experienced teacher has assessed the top two students to be of the same ability.

The situation you describe is possible - but in practice, it doesn't often arise.

CrashOveride

HSC
Same ability, not quite. Mitigating cirucmstances and other such issues i will not go into now. (that resulted in this tie for 1st place). I am confident that there will be a large gap as i have described earlier.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
If you think it's going to be such a problem - go complain to someone who can do something about it.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
My final assesment mark for Ext-1 maths is 80%, im 3rd, first is on 85%ish, 2nd is on 83ish. Im assuming people with less than rank 5 in my class wont give a shit as it is their backup subject.
What i want to ask is, what is the chance of us guys getting E4? If we all do well (top 3) with everyone else failing will we still be able to get E4?

CrashOveride: In school ranking systems they round the final assesment marks up, so although you may appear to have a rank of equal 1st or whatever, if it is by 0.001 off the top guy, then the board will rank you accurately, as second.
(Thats what my teacher told me anyway)
So just go bash the guy coming equal 1st and tell him to study :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)