Make up:S (1 Viewer)

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
I decided to use make up for my formal but i have no idea with it...

Keeping in mind that i basically know nothing about cosmetics, got any advice on what basic stuff i need and how to use it?

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
I guess so...

But i am a not that girly kind of person so i have no idea with make up and tht type of thing:S

I have never used it before...

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
does your mum or someone have any makeup?

best to start with a base, you can use an oil free moisturiser. Then apply an even layer of foundation matching your skin colour, use either a small traingle sponge or your fingers, best to use the sponge and then fingers to even it out and blend it well. Then cover any blemishes or dark circles with a good concealer. it's easier to apply it over the foundation so it doesn't get rubbed off, just dab it into your skin. Don't use too much of either. finish with a loose powder to set the makeup and control shine, and brush a natural coloured blush onto the apples of your cheeks. then you can apply an eyeshadow, mascara, lisptick or lipgloss, eyeliner etc. But you prob want to go natural, so it depends on the colour of your dress.

it's not necessary to go out and buy all these things. you might be able to borrow them from a friend or your mother. just make sure you use a separate brush or applicator in the interests of hygeine, and never share eye makeup.

uhhh hope that helps. any more questions, ask away!

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
Erm, my mother doesn't have any...

And since i am not that into borrowing such items, i guess i will just buy some...

What brands would you reccomend? Oh, and i don't actually know how to apply this stuff :S

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
what colour is your dress, do you have it yet?

maybelline stuff is cheap and relatively good.

do you have light skin or dark skin?

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
i have yellowy/white skin and my dress is going to be blue...

I have heard of foundaton, but what is the loose powder??

(gee i feel all ignorant now...)

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
powder is for setting the makeup. It also gives you a matte finish so you won't look all shiny.
most people use pressed powder, which can also be used as a foundation.
loose powder is easier to dust on.
if you have a blue dress you could either go pale blue on your eyes, or depending on your colour accessories, a silverish white (i know what i mean, it's relaly sheer) or a bronze. just go natural or pale colours since you've never worn it before, you prob won't want eyeliner.

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
I got a cut across my face the other day, will putting make up on it make it worse?

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
maybe, depends how bad it is. Might just cake on it and make it stand out more.

anyway the basics you really need are moisturiser, good foundation, blush and mascara. loose powder, concealer, eye shadow and lipgloss/stick are optional. and often you can use your foundation as a concealer just by dabbing it on, depends on how close a match it is to your skin though.

anyway i've been screwing around with a program for hours and i can't get it working so i'm heading off. people should be able to give you better advice tomorrow. good luck!

btw, when is your formal?

SuGa BunI =D

broken doo dooo booo
HSC
just start wif the basic stuff, australis is pretty good considering the fact that u might use it for one night only..

make up tricks take time and experiences to learn and everybody facial structure is different thus my best advice to you is just put on what ever you want.. u may look drag queenish at 1st or just plain ugly then just wash ya face, reapply, and play around abit..

ps dont follow any picture instruction from magazine or book cos they're quite hard to follow but if you could, get the Marie Clair book on make up :) great articles to gain the basic knowledge on makeups n products

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
i think if u're inexperienced with makeup at first, it's best to go to make up counter and ask them to do the makeup for you on the formal day. like with many cosmetic counters, all you need to do is to purchase some products and they'll give you a free make over!! i reckon Laura Mercier girls did a great job for my Yr 12 formal. and i purchased like a tinted moisturiser from them which is a great product and i was able to use it later

or otherwise you can buy some products and try at home though. Here's what i'd recommend to get:

A good foundation: L'Oreal Cashmere (heard it's good!), Laneige (around $40 margin), Shiseido (alright but depends which line), Shu Uemura (quite good). If it's a good foundation with good coverage, you might not even need concealers or powder!

Eyeshadow: I prefer green shimmery eyeshadow from The Body Shop (around $16), But you said that your dress is blue, so i'll stick with shimery blue, dark silverish grey, and anything along the silver/blue/smokey line. Mac has an amazing eye colour range though i never used them.

Nice lip gloss: I would emphasize on eyes, and put a slightly tinted gloss, like the body shop's strawberry born lippy. ($5.95)

Cheek or brozing colours: Not an expert on this! usually i am really bad in applying cheek colours so i don't bother :p

so as you can see, if you just get individual products alone, it'll cost a lot!! so it might be a nice idea to get one basic that you're sure you'll use again, and get a makeover at the makeup counter!! I'll go for either one of this: Laura Mercier at City or Chatswood Myer, Mac, and Red Earth, some body shops do fantastic makeup as well!! I guess it depends on the lady (or guy) who does it for you!!

A few tips are that:
* make sure you use a really good moisturiser, moisturise your skin really well so that your makeup will be more natural and stay on skin
* If you have oily skin, you might need a blotting paper, Or a powder foundation (though this one tends to dry up skin and is the most heaviest among foundations!!)
* Browse through magazines for makeup tips!!
* go to. www.makeupalley.com (they have some really nice reviews on products as well as tips i think), or the vogue forum.

good luck and have fun :D

Last edited:

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
sugaryblue said:
i think if u're inexperienced with makeup at first, it's best to go to make up counter and ask them to do the makeup for you on the formal day.
i was just about to say the same.
theres no point spending 2 hrs trying to teach yourself how to do something that you have no idea how to do and nobody there to guide you.
just go to a makeup counter at any dj's or myer and they'll do it and it will look BRILLIANT... AND you'll know how to do it for your next/any other formal :)

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
maybe you should just pay to get your makeup done. itll cos $50 max and that way you dont have to worry about looking like a dick cos of crap makeup application/colours

go to a beautician/beauty therapist and ask if they do formal makeup...if so ask for prices and book a time lol.

overthaedge

HSC
twisted_emily said:
maybe you should just pay to get your makeup done. itll cos $50 max and that way you dont have to worry about looking like a dick cos of crap makeup application/colours

go to a beautician/beauty therapist and ask if they do formal makeup...if so ask for prices and book a time lol.
yeah, thats a good idea, especially if you dont want to screw it up, this way, if they screw your makeup up, just ask them to change it. Just be careful and makesure they dont go over-board with it. Cause that can have a tendency to look dodgy.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
As mentioned before, I reckon just pay to get it done.

It won't cost you all THAT much, it will certainly be a LOOOOT cheaper than buying all your makeup, especially if you don't use it regularly, its a bit of a waste to be spending probably at least $100, if not more, on make up just for one night.

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
I thought about paying for someone to do it for me, but i can't afford it...

I can't afford make up either so i guess borrowing is the way to go...

After buying my $15 dress, i have a grand total of $20...

chelzmalee

death by pastry
HSC
I've had professional makeup for both my Formal and my Deb, and it cost $40 a shot. I'd recommend it, as long as you can find a good makeup artist. Or even an experienced friend.

overthaedge

HSC
miss_b said:
I thought about paying for someone to do it for me, but i can't afford it...

I can't afford make up either so i guess borrowing is the way to go...

After buying my $15 dress, i have a grand total of $20...
whoa a $15 formal dress... whered you get that from?

Lennie

in my opinion. you dont need alot.

if you have good skin... dont use foundation etc. it just gets messy and looks one million times worse. i have already suggested it , but use lucas pawpaw ointment ($4.50) on your cheeks with a bit of blush or bronzer. it gives you a cool natural dewy look.
learn how to use eyeliner properly. depending on what look you are going for, smoky eyes can look awesome. but you need practice at it.
As for eyeshadow etc. ive found that eyeliner in a cool colour looks good. just kind of smudge it around your eyes top and bottom. once again, practice before the formal.
you really dont need alot of flashy brands of makeup to look good. and as for getting it done professionally; i got in done for my year 10 formal, and then i went home, took it all off and did it myself. i was sooo much happier. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)