Make up:S (1 Viewer)

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
i was going to say that... If you have good skin you really don't need the foundation pressed powder etc. If you feel more comfortable with some more coverage, tinted moisturiser is a good product, and is quite cheap, about $8 i think. Then you just need mascara, eyeshadow (in a colour that suits YOU, not that just matches your dress!) and lipstick or lipgloss. You can find some really cheap makeup at chemists, and you might like to use blush or hilighter to enhance your look.

Just remember, DON'T GO OVERBOARD. If you have not worn makeup before, your friends who are at the formal want to see you looking comfortable, not painted up like a tart. Be yourself.

Good luck and congratualtions on finding a $15 dollar dress. I went looking for months for a formal dress and bought a Review dress for $180, but i ended up finding a beaded flapper-style dress at Glebe markets for $30 which was more my style. Anyway, the formal is great fun and i hope you enjoy yourself.
xx

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Have it done professionally you tightarse. I dont think any girls i know did their own make-up.

asscookie

dork.
HSC
Whether you do your makeup yourself or get it done professionally, you should at least make sure you've exfoliated and moisturised your face well beforehand - foundation and powder draws attention to any dry/uneven patches.

I wouldn't attempt to do all the makeup all by yourself. Mascara and lipstick/gloss are easy enough to master, and possibly foundation and powder, but stunning effects with eyeshadow and eyeliner are best left to people with experience. Friends and relatives are probably good enough for that, but if you want to look *really* good, I'd suggest booking a makeover somewhere nice in Myer or DJs, like MAC or Dior. I once had a free makeover at Clinique, I don't know if they still do that though.

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
Basics-

Mascara (whatever you do don't buy rimmel mascara, its rubbish)

Eyeliner-any eyeliner is ok,(I use pencil eyeliners) just try out a tester on your hand first to see it comes on smoothly. Some eyeliners come on easier than others.
When applying eyeliner I start from the inside of my eye then work my way out.

Powder or foundation. For a makeup first timer, If you buy foundation don't buy liquid foundation, buy like a cream compact that has a sponge, it will probably be easier for you to apply evenly. Covergirl foundation is pretty good and its cheap. Choose a colour that matches your skin tone.
(I don't use liquid foundation)

Blush-only if you want to.
Eyeshadow
lipgloss or lipstick, depends which you prefer.

Practise a few times before hand.

Snow Pea!

Touch it Bring it Pay it
HSC
if ur buying foundation make sure the colour matches ur neck colour.. so then u dont get the line that looks like ur wearing a mask... :D

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
absolution* said:
Have it done professionally you tightarse. I dont think any girls i know did their own make-up.
I did my own makeup and so did my best friend thankyouverymuch. But I guess we were lazy because having to do some professional meant leaving the hotel, walking to someplace in the city and then coming back and not being able to nap before the formal :p plus I can do my own makeup marvellously.

But anyway, if you're not sure what to use or how to do your own makeup then I definately recommend paying and getting it done professionally. Like so many people mentioned, go to Myers or David Jones makeup counters (not those really expensive ones) and get them to show you what suits you.

Nepolean makeup counters are really good too, and during formal time they usually have this deal going on that when you spend $50 dollars on makeup you get a free makeover/makeup session.

And caution: sharing makeup really isn't a good idea at times because you could get some serious skin infection or something (Like me, I'm so anal when people use my lipgloss that I throw it away if that person had like, chapped lips)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
absolution* said:
she said she couldnt afford it so thats not exactly her fault is it...
since you cant get it done professionally, keep it simple. foundation, some lip balm, bit of eyeshadow and mascara. im guessing that if you went all out with the makeup you would probably feel uncomfortable, so keep it light and natural. lip balm and eyeshadow are easy to apply, you could do that youself. if you've never used foundation before, get your mum or someone experienced (like a girly friend) to do it, because trust me if you do a bodgy job with that you will look really stupid. good luck :p

HSC
N/A
makeup suxxxx!!! lol
nah, well it does - i jusssst use the bear necessidities - moisturiser and vaseline .. lolz .. nah, but i dont know
makeup sux bad - cuz it's just a hassle, but i spooozzzeee, for the formal you're gonna have to do urself up .. just be subTLe mate - trust me .. well, i cant speak from exp, but since u aint a makeupy kinda person .. take it ezeee

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
absolution* said:
Well yes, yes it is. Get a job, slob.
I had a job but i quit... :uhhuh:

Now i can't seem to find one...

Also, i quit because i got too many hours and it was stuffing me up...

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
hardly anyone i know has a regular job in their HSC year. Plenty of time for money-making in a few months...A FEW MONTHS! Anyway, i think some people need to mind their own business, Absolution, and stop being so damn rude....so there.

jokes guys, but seriously- settle down.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
AlleyCat said:
hardly anyone i know has a regular job in their HSC year. Plenty of time for money-making in a few months...A FEW MONTHS! Anyway, i think some people need to mind their own business, Absolution, and stop being so damn rude....so there.

jokes guys, but seriously- settle down.
You hurt my feelings. I hope youre happy. :(

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Emily. said:
well you hurt everyone elses feelings so get over it, prick.
Hey hey hey... jokes jokes all jokes. Absy, sorry if i hurt ur feelings. Twisted Emily, shut the beep up.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
AlleyCat said:
Hey hey hey... jokes jokes all jokes. Absy, sorry if i hurt ur feelings. Twisted Emily, shut the beep up.
he flames nearly every post i make, why should i shut up

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Absy is a HE? What's HE doing on the formal make-up thread? Anyhoo, you don't have to shut up then...rant and rave all u like, its just that 'outsiders' get a little sick of net-tiffs.

MzbLaZeIT

im am teh seks.
HSC
lovey if you're after a make up artist and in sydney
you've got the right person! :)
otherwise, if you are doing your make up yourself i can give you some professional advice...........
do you usually wear make up?
let me know how you go! :)

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
MzbLaZeIT said:
lovey if you're after a make up artist and in sydney
you've got the right person! :)
otherwise, if you are doing your make up yourself i can give you some professional advice...........
do you usually wear make up?
let me know how you go! :)
I'm from melbourne...:S

I changed my mind again. I decided to go with a little bit of make up :p

Figured out the foundation stuff, kinda. I have really dry skin in some patches though so it looks weird.

Also, any tips for hiding eye bags? I put on concealer but it's still really bad :S

One last thing; how far up the eyelid does eyeshadow go?

MzbLaZeIT

im am teh seks.
HSC
miss_b said:
I'm from melbourne...:S

I changed my mind again. I decided to go with a little bit of make up :p

Figured out the foundation stuff, kinda. I have really dry skin in some patches though so it looks weird.

Also, any tips for hiding eye bags? I put on concealer but it's still really bad :S

One last thing; how far up the eyelid does eyeshadow go?

aww too bad!
well ill give you some pointers

moisturise your face, so it looks more dewy as opposed to dry
if you are going to use foundation evenly apply it all over your face (making sure its the right colour) start with a lil bit of foundation, and if its too light, then add more.....
its always best to start off light, then get heavier (same applies with eyeshadow) saves you from washing everything off + starting again especially if its all too heavyyy....

as for hiding eyebags.. concealer wont hide the bags but it will mask the bags if they are a darker shade.....
using a thin brush(u can also use your hands) rub in a slighter lighter colour than your foundation under your eyes.. making sure it blends in well
after that is done, also go over a bit (dabbing) with foundation - for colour corrections!
make sure you powder your face after foundation - this will help set the make up and get it to last longer.

if your going to use eyeshadow - i suggest you stick with neutral colours - especially if you are doing it yourself
start with a light (cream/ligght beige) colour all over your eyelid
then do a slighly darker shade on your corners - MAKING SURE YOU BLEND
(its hard to explain, so ill add some tutorials so u get the idea)
you dont want stark colours on your eyelids especially if your not used to putting on make up...
COLOUR on the eyelids should never exceed past your crease (where your eyelid stops and your brow BONE starts)

have your eyebrows shaped (the day before or so) it will instantly make you look fresher (and give them a lil comb)

blush always makes you look fresher + gives you some warmth and colour, so dab some colour (or bronzer) on the apples of your cheeks swooping outwards + upways towards your ears (VERY SUBTLEY) you dont want to look like a clown!

you can add lip liner, but i suggest you just go for some GLOSSY GLOSS!!
stuff the eye liner - coz it takes alot of practise if you havent already done it - or get a friend to do it for you..
coat your lashes with mascara - if you have an eyelash curler it helps to open up your eyes..

have some practise before the big day - take your time and ENJOY it while your doing it!!

this is a site i found on the net, that goes thru some make up application proceedures..

tutorial
end result

jazz the do up a bit with lots of gloss!!!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)