Mac vs Windows (1 Viewer)

youngguz

HSC
Hey people, im looking to buy a new laptop.
I'm sick of the windows computers always screwing up and stuff.
Just wondering which is better for uni. Mac or Windows?
Im an engineering student, so which is better for Eng. based programs?

Cheers

youngguz

HSC
ive used linux, dont like it.

do u know which is the better and more reliable out of windows and mac., cause im thinking of buying an apple comp. i have always used windows though.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
ive used linux, dont like it.

do u know which is the better and more reliable out of windows and mac., cause im thinking of buying an apple comp. i have always used windows though.
the mac, and that way you can easily get the best of both worlds, by running both

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Hey people, im looking to buy a new laptop.
I'm sick of the windows computers always screwing up and stuff.
Just wondering which is better for uni. Mac or Windows?
Im an engineering student, so which is better for Eng. based programs?

Cheers
What kind of engineering? If it's software, buy a mac.

youngguz

HSC
i'm doing civil engineering.
which is better, mac or windows(in general terms)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Mac.

And on a Mac, you can still run Windows on it in either Bootcamp or virtualising software.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
If you're doing civil, find out what kinda CAD apps your uni is running (if they are doing any kinda CAD work).

Some of the more recent CAD apps like Microstation don't have mac support anymore (i think most unis use something along the lines of SolidWorks, SolidEdge, Pro-Engineer and AutoCAD and stuff though...not too sure about who supports it though).

On the other hand, with a mac you can always run boot camp i suppose.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
I went to the Macquarie Uni library and I saw all the white people with Macs and all the Asians with non-Macs.
Hmm..

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
<3 Macs. The new Mac Mini is pretty gorgeous and reasonably cheap for a student (about $1,000). It's got a GeForce 9400M, 1GB DDR3 ram ($70 more for 2gb), and a dual core 2.0 ghz cpu. The GeForce is slightly underpowered compared to the normal 9400 GT because it uses the CPU's ram (128mb reserved) but since you'll notice that the ram is DDR3, that's not so much a problem (it's blindingly fast ram).

Otherwise opt for Ubuntu. You won't regret it.

Last edited:

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
<3 Macs. The new Mac Mini is pretty gorgeous and reasonably cheap for a student (about $1,000). It's got a GeForce 9400M, 1GB DDR3 ram ($70 more for 2gb), and a dual core 2.0 ghz cpu. The GeForce is slightly underpowered compared to the normal 9400 GT because it uses the CPU's ram (128mb reserved) but since you'll notice that the ram is DDR3, that's not so much a problem (it's blindingly fast ram).

Otherwise opt for Ubuntu. You won't regret it.
ubuntu is a good option. You can run .exe files through wine.I am an IT/business student.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
Ubuntu 9.04 with ext4 filesystem, boot up time to fully functional desktop is 15 seconds on a laptop with Intel C2D 1.8 GHz, 2Gb RAM, internal graphics.

I saw it myself during our linux installfest at CSE UNSW.

louy

HSC
N/A
My stupid laptop crashed again. It is starting to get really slow and full of bugs. Its only a year old, should throw it out the window really.

Should of got a Mac

HailSatan

HSC
Pfff, Macs are absolute trash. Windows and Linux are infinitely better.
I have had this computer with WinXP on it for about 8 years and it still runs fine.

Steffi1

HSC
I have a Mac Pro, they are worth it, mine cost around 3,000 ,however I am so happy with it.
They are recommend to people who are in the multimedia industry, thats why i got mine.

If your going to get a Mac get the pro only because the Air doesn't have a cd roam or something and the little macs are not worth it at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)