List of all the scientists (1 Viewer)

supatrupa

HSC
Does anyone have a list of all the scientists for either of the sciences, Chemistry and Physics? I do all 3 sciences (BioChemPhys) sciences and I'm sure it will help others as well to have a clear list of all the scientists as it can be easy to mix them up.

I already have a list of the scientists in Biology from another post that I found but If anyone notices any missing scientists, please add! :)

"Walter Sutton

Sutton studied grasshopper cells and came to the conclusion that each chromosome is unique and that they halve during meiosis. Each also keeps its character throughout division.

Theodor Boveri

Came to a similar conclusion to Sutton, in that no chromosomes are the same, and that a full set of chromosomes is required for development, and thus is restored during fertilisation.

Sutton and Boveri chromosome hypothesis: chromosomes carry genes (the hereditary units) and they occur in pairs.

Rosalin Franklin
Carried out X-Ray crystallography to discover the double helix nature of the DNA molecule.

Maurice Wilkins

Studied large molecules and supplied Watson and Crick with Franklin's discoveries (without her knowledge - bastard).

James Watson / Francis Crick

Both worked together to model the structure of DNA, and suggested the double helix nature. They also suggested the complementary pairing of bases.

Charles Darwin / Alfred Wallace

Both unknowlingly came to the same conclusion that organisms change over time; described by the Theory of Evolution by the mechanism of Natural Selection.

Gregor Mendel

Carried out a huge number of experiments with the pea plant (P. sativum) to investigate the inheritance of characteristics. He studied 7 different factors (now known as traits) and performed many monohybrid crosses to come. F1 he crossed pure breeding plants for, say, Tall and Short, and found all were tall. He then took 2 plants from that experiment and crossed them, he found a 3:1 relationship. He suggested that traits can be either dominant or recessive (alleles) and are discrete units. Anything else is just filler.

Louis Pasteur / Robert Koch

Pasteur disproved the theory of spontaneous generation, and provided a clear link between diseases and microbes with his various anthrax experiments with cattle. His also performed his famous 'swan'-necked experiment. Put forward the Germ Theory of Disease.

Koch put forward his postulates, which help identify the causative agent of an infectious disease. Simply:

1. Target organism must be present
2. A pure culture is required
3. A healthy organism is innoculated and must cause same symptoms
4. Attempt to re-isolate and grow an identical culture

George Beadle / Edward Tatum

Put forward their, 'One gene - one polypeptide', hypothesis after drawing conclusions from experiments where they subjected bread mould to x-rays. They found that after x-rays were subjected, the mould could not grow, they first said that the gene altered meant that a specific amino acid was not produced, so this built their case for the one gene - one enzyme' hypothesis. This was later changed due to all enzymes being proteins (thus polypeptides), but not vice versa.

Thomas Morgan

Helped develop our understanding about sex linkage with his work with Fruit Flies. He performed crosses with red/white eyed flies to show that the Mendellian ratio's were not being followed." (- from another post that I can no longer find)

leehuan

HSC
Don't have to know nearly as many scientists for physics and chemistry as for biology. There's probably no post about it because it's redundant.

Only scientist I can easily get out of my head for chemistry - Le Chatelier

jathu123

HSC
You should know the three important ones for the metals topic in chemistry. dobereiner, John Newlands, and Dmitri mendeleev

leehuan

HSC
You should know the three important ones for the metals topic in chemistry. dobereiner, John Newlands, and Dmitri mendeleev
Mendeleev - creater of the periodic table. Then never seen again especially after prelim

Other two I don't even remember what Dobereiner did and who Newlands even was. So no they aren't necessary either.

jathu123

HSC
Mendeleev - creater of the periodic table. Then never seen again especially after prelim

Other two I don't even remember what Dobereiner did and who Newlands even was. So no they aren't necessary either.
oh wait ye mb. didn't realise OP was about hsc not prelim soz lol

Occupied

HSC
N/A
don't u need the guy who did clonal selection theory thing? Also maybe it was just me but i remember remembering a bunch of scientists relating to malaria

Occupied

HSC
N/A
chem u might need to remember scientist in scientific field for chem monitoring topic. also don't u need to know davy and random people for acid and base?
and if u do shipwrecks gl with galvani, volta, far-something and davy (i think)
can't remember specifics lmao

leehuan

HSC
Yep that's more like it. I did think I was missing some but I couldn't remember who.

Yes, acid-base theory scientists definitely.

Options are options. I'm leaving them out. (Industrial made you remember 0 anyway)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)