Linux (1 Viewer)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I messed around with Ubuntu a few times but I couldn't get it to recognise my drivers so I removed it.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It's alright for some stuff and messing around unless you know what you're doing.

I have an Ubuntu VM which is always running for the hell of it, usually just to mess around and maybe learn a few things every now and then.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
OSX is the perfect bridge between windows and linux imo. You've got the solid UNIX core to go with an aesthetic system that works with everything. win.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
OSX is the perfect bridge between windows and linux imo. You've got the solid UNIX core to go with an aesthetic system that works with everything. win.
You seriously can't be this genuinely retarded...

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
You mean POSIX

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
You seriously can't be this genuinely retarded...
Strong call right there.

I've had over three years experience administrating a LAMP server with numerous slots. I've got no problem scripting and compiling with bash on Osx. It gives me everything I need from a unix based os, didn't even need my Debian vm.

Now run along.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Strong call right there.

I've had over three years experience administrating a LAMP server with numerous slots. I've got no problem scripting and compiling with bash on Osx. It gives me everything I need from a unix based os, didn't even need my Debian vm.

Now run along.
If you really wanted to get technical Debian isn't UNIX

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Strong call right there.

Now run along.

Bash is a terminal shell. And a shit one at that. Don't know why you would be scripting on it.

na110793

HSC
What distro would you guys recommend for a mid range laptop?

specs:
Intel i3 (2.20Ghz)
4GB DDR3 RAM (1 stick @ 667Mhz)
640GB
Intel HD Graphics (shared, 1845MB)
SD card reader
Atheros wireless
Gigabit LAN
1x USB 3.0 and 2x USB 2.0
HDMI

and no, I'm not "showing off" my specs, they are woeful.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I'd recommend OpenSUSE, it's my preferred distro. If you're new to everything, XFCE desktop environment might be the best bet, it isn't resource intensive but it has a good GUI set up. But KDE is my other preferred environment over GNOME. But it's really personal preference. OpenSUSE, uses YaST which is really good for getting all your things from a central GUI instead of going through the terminal. But you could always try Ubuntu, I only use it on my netbook because I've always had so many problems with missing libraries and such.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
I'd recommend OpenSUSE, it's my preferred distro. If you're new to everything, XFCE desktop environment might be the best bet, it isn't resource intensive but it has a good GUI set up. But KDE is my other preferred environment over GNOME. But it's really personal preference. OpenSUSE, uses YaST which is really good for getting all your things from a central GUI instead of going through the terminal. But you could always try Ubuntu, I only use it on my netbook because I've always had so many problems with missing libraries and such.
I use Ubuntu (mostly because we use it at uni), but I think it's great and I haven't had any issues with it.

As you said though, all a matter of preference.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I use ubuntu at home, uni uses fedora I think. I've used knoppix before (5-6 yrs ago) and that was pretty fun too.

I prefer ubuntu to fedora tbh, much sexier :p

na110793

HSC
I use ubuntu at home, uni uses fedora I think. I've used knoppix before (5-6 yrs ago) and that was pretty fun too.

I prefer ubuntu to fedora tbh, much sexier :p
I hate the new Unity interface on Ubuntu. My favourite release of Ubuntu was 8.04. loved that shit.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
So true, gnome is getting increasingly resource hungry :/. Not sure if I like the new launcher feature either... There's a reason linus torvalds hates it.

Impressed by lxde/xfce though. Not really concerned as I don't use a GUI on my Linux machine.

tomascivinod

HSC
I have used ubuntu a bit... I really like unity, but that is because I am used to it somewhat as it behaves simmilarly to osx in quite a few ways. That being said I also like fedora quite a bit, mostly because it comes with gnome 3.0 which whilst is a bit slower to use, is also much nicer to look at.

At the end of the day 90% of my computer is within my browser and the cloud (chrome) so tbh chromeOS may even suit you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)