Linux (1 Viewer)

Jeo

Which linux is best? adv/disadv? etc

and what programs do you use on linux?

Winston

HSC
Who ever replies, please no BIAS opinions, stick to the facts, i don't want any flamming wars going on. Thanks.

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
[script]document.title = 'Hail Jeo'[/script]

Oooh... I like this... But dont let that too loose on BOS. (Winston: Delete later if you so feel the need...)

Back on to Scripts... Microsoft fixed their little exploit in IE6 that used to let me open your cd drawer...

ae

HSC
Try Slackware 9.1, released five days ago. A fresh and updated distro.

http://slackware.com/announce/9.1.php

Ignore those people who think this Linux is only for advanced users, instead of using those user-friendly distro like Mandrake or Redhat, you can actually learn much more with Slackware.

Well, my fav apps are
Wine
Firebird
XMMS
Xine
OpenOffice
Gaim

Jeo

but are there replacement programs, because, im very used to Office XP and general microsoft programs :S

Jonesy

i use both redhat 9 and debian.

redhat 9 is great for a simple to use GUI which looks pretty but for real power and the ability to customise, go Debian. Debian is also far easier to keep up to date and hence secure. Redhat needs a fairly fast machine to run well, KDE and Gnome are processor and memory hogs.

del

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Jeo
but are there replacement programs, because, im very used to Office XP and general microsoft programs :S
OpenOffice

Jeo

ok cool, and openoffice is free / downloadable / cwackable?

i think ill go redhat/xp dual boot..... started downloading redhat CD 1

Jeo

hahahaha windows is so cool, my download got d/c at 47%, so i reconnected, and it started off @ 47% again..... -_-

-X-

HSC
N/A
Slackware gets my vote. Very stable and fast compared to deadrat. 9.1 was just released as someone mentioned but i havent time to try it out yet (HSC). Go for either Debian or Slackware and dont bother with deadrat. Mandrake is ok i guess for simplicicity.

For linux programs go to www.sourceforge.net , theres heaps in there, have fun :)

yoshi

If you are new to linux and don't want to spend your nights and days configuring stuff, choose Lycoris, Redhat or Mandrake. They have all the pretty stuff you might desire and a lot of stuff is automated.

Debian or slackware will be a nightmare. Use a graphics-oriented distro while you learn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)