Linux (1 Viewer)

karl

I've got voices in my head. I can't beleive all th
Debian

It's not the most user-friendly install (it is rather simple though), but it's package management system is by far the best.

Either use dselect to list, download and install automagically. Or type apt-get install <package name>.

You can update your whole system with apt-get dis-upgrade.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by karl
Debian

It's not the most user-friendly install (it is rather simple though), but it's package management system is by far the best.

Either use dselect to list, download and install automagically. Or type apt-get install <package name>.

You can update your whole system with apt-get dis-upgrade.
Isn't Debian command based?

Winston

HSC
Guys i appreciate your comments, and the way you guys are responding, but for a new user for Linux, your better off starting them with the utter basic of the Linux flavours

as stated by yoshi, he's got the idea... don't recommend the Linux version because you use it, and your Linux savvy, recommend it based on the true blue n00b linux version.

Jeo

hey......... how does that exploit work.... i mean, it has to be headers, but what type/kind and basically, how do you do it.

karl

I've got voices in my head. I can't beleive all th
It doesn't have to be. Just install XFree86 and GDM, for Gnome / XDM Generic / KDM, for KDE and it will go straight into X.

:)

*edit* : Debian might not be the easiest to get running for a new user, but if you're trying to learn *nix, configuring debain would be a good way to go about it.

For a taste of Linux, try downloading a "Live CD" from Knoppix . You don't need to remove your windows, or even touch your partitions. It boots straight from the CD into X.

That's what I recommend if you want to try Linux.

Last edited:

Jeo

hahaha, I have used unix remotely on my webservers for 3 years now -_-

Jeo

I think i'll try redhat first though, since someone told me thats what UNSW uses anyway

-X-

HSC
N/A
Dude, trust me redhat aint good. Go for mandrake instead, theyre both similar. Redhat has HEAPS of bugs and memory leak problems.
Slackware or Debian aint hard to install either. They GUI during installation isnt graphicall but has text mode graphics which is simple. All u need is to know how to use the TAB button on your keayboard. :D

Jeo

haha. im going to stick with XP..............

because so many programs are built for XP, i couldn't be bothered installing linux...... :(

yoshi

Originally posted by -X-
Dude, trust me redhat aint good. Go for mandrake instead, theyre both similar. Redhat has HEAPS of bugs and memory leak problems.
And the proof of this is...?
If anything, Mandrake would have more bugs than Redhat. A linux distribution is just a collection of different people's (free) software based around a linux kernel - it really is the sum of its parts.

Mandrake traditionally includes the latest-and-greatest software (stuff that isn't in anyone's stable tree), whilst Redhat tends to hold back slightly more. This points, if anything, to Mandrake having more bugs from using software that hasn't been tested as much.

Originally posted by -X-
Slackware or Debian aint hard to install either. They GUI during installation isnt graphicall but has text mode graphics which is simple. All u need is to know how to use the TAB button on your keayboard. :D
That's cool, but what do you do once the install has finished? You have a (textual) terminal, and wa-hey! This is not a good sight for first-time linux users (which it seems Joe isn't, but let's talk in general), who are used to the convenience of having Windows automatically configure nearly everything for them - much like Redhat and Mandrake do.

And if you suggest that debconf can be used for setting up XFree86, that's fine but with every computer I've set debian up on, it has either not worked or chosen borked settings that I've had to fix in XF86Config. Redhat and Mandrake were perfect.

They really should merge the graphical auto-detection program used in Knoppix with the debian installer. If they had this then you bet most newbies would be using debian.

Winston

HSC
If you make any Linux onto every home users desktop without formally fixing up the whole OS i am absolutely sure you've got more than a handful of flaws, since it's Open Source, and every developer has their own methods of implementation i don't think every portion of the OS is actually consistent enough to be bulletproof.

-X-

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by yoshi
And the proof of this is...?
If anything, Mandrake would have more bugs than Redhat. A linux distribution is just a collection of different people's (free) software based around a linux kernel - it really is the sum of its parts.
umm...no. Heaps and heaps of users including me, have had problems with redhat 8. Basically memory leaks galore even after a full kernel recompile. Versions of redhat before 8 were great. The bugs im talking about in redhat have nothing to do with the extra programs but some sort of core app. Installing redhat with minimum space (discarding all the extra programs n shit) doesnt help either.
I know you would expect mandrake to be less stable than redhat but atleast there arent many problems reported, atleast not serious ones. Use redhat 8.0 for 1-2 hours and youl see what i mean.
That's cool, but what do you do once the install has finished? You have a (textual) terminal, and wa-hey! This is not a good sight for first-time linux users (which it seems Joe isn't, but let's talk in general), who are used to the convenience of having Windows automatically configure nearly everything for them - much like Redhat and Mandrake do.

And if you suggest that debconf can be used for setting up XFree86, that's fine but with every computer I've set debian up on, it has either not worked or chosen borked settings that I've had to fix in XF86Config. Redhat and Mandrake were perfect.

Im not familiar with debian installation as i mentioned before. But from what i hear its great. If your average "Joe" cant type the letter "x" in the terminal screen after installation then they shouldnt use a computer let alone linux. Slackware helps u configure the basic things in your computer during installation (ie video card etc...). Once installation is finished you will get a terminal screen were u type "x" to get to your desktop/window manager with generic h/ware settings/configurations or if your an advanced user u can just customize things. The whole point of using linux is to learn and have fun.

-X-

HSC
N/A
Ahh probably is i cant remember. I know some distros use "startx" while others use just "x" though.

yoshi

Originally posted by -X-
Use redhat 8.0 for 1-2 hours and youl see what i mean.
I have it installed on a laptop here, and it's been used for a few months now full-time. No problems at all. In fact I tried Redhat 9 but that had some problems with Java VM so I had to go back.

Where were the memory leaks? In the kernel or in userland programs? It could very well have been a kernel problem since Redhat (and Mandrake) have a habit of patching up kernels something fierce.

yoshi

Originally posted by -X-
Im not familiar with debian installation as i mentioned before. But from what i hear its great.
It is great - after you've gone through it a few times or you're not new to linux. I bet no newbies told you the installer was great ;)

But really this is a moot point. Choosing a distribution is like horses for courses.

-X-

HSC
N/A
I have it installed on a laptop here, and it's been used for a few months now full-time. No problems at all. In fact I tried Redhat 9 but that had some problems with Java VM so I had to go back.

Where were the memory leaks? In the kernel or in userland programs? It could very well have been a kernel problem since Redhat (and Mandrake) have a habit of patching up kernels something fierce.
Im not sure where the problem lies as even with redhat 9.0 the problem was evident even though programs / kernel was updated. You probably are one of the lucky ones then if it worked for you. However, moving from redhat to slackware has showed a HUGE difference in loading times, running / starting applications and even in UT2003.

-X-

HSC
N/A
It is great - after you've gone through it a few times or you're not new to linux. I bet no newbies told you the installer was great ;)

But really this is a moot point. Choosing a distribution is like horses for courses.
Well there isnt much difference between slackware and debian other than debian having great package management and slackware being the oldest linux distro. :D They're the top 2 linux distro's in my opinion.

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
For newbies: Knoppix to try it out, SuSE when you install on the HD.

For the advanced types: Debian. All the way. :D

(Oh, and slack. :) )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)