Linear independence (1 Viewer)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Is this true? I am very strongly inclined to say yes, but I feel as though I'm missing something and just want to make sure

seanieg89

HSC

Is this true? I am very strongly inclined to say yes, but I feel as though I'm missing something and just want to make sure
What are a,b,c,x,y,z? just some fixed constants? If this is the case the statement certainly isn't true.

Or are you saying something more like "If every linear combination of the v_i's can be written as a linear combination of the u_i's, and the v_i's are linearly independent then so are the u_i's"?

The latter statement is true by a dimensionality argument.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
are linearly indepenent means in effect: none of them can be derived from the other 2 by way of a linear combination of the other two.

Equivalently,

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
What are a,b,c,x,y,z? just some fixed constants? If this is the case the statement certainly isn't true.

Or are you saying something more like "If every linear combination of the v_i's can be written as a linear combination of the u_i's, and the v_i's are linearly independent then so are the u_i's"?

The latter statement is true by a dimensionality argument.
Yep just fixed constants, thank you

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
So what if I altered my statement:

seanieg89

HSC
Yep just fixed constants, thank you
Yeah so the answer is just no then.

A really silly/trivial counterexample is as follows:

The standard basis (e_1,e_2,e_3) of R^3 is linearly independent, and 1e_1+0e_2+0e_3 can be written as 1e_1+0e_1+0e_1. (But e_1,e_1,e_1 is obviously not linearly dependent.)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Huh? Can you please elaborate here? Are you changing the question or your answer?
I'm just changing the question, seeing what I can get with the initial conditions (of v's being linear independent)

seanieg89

HSC
I'm just changing the question, seeing what I can get with the initial conditions (of v's being linear independent)
Not much if the 6 scalars are still just some particular constants. Eg this equation is trivially true with all constants 0, no matter what the u_j's are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)