LET's bring some life to this forum!!! (3 Viewers)

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
your are so lucky to be going to Queensland for a week long trip.

The furthest we've been north and east is Narrabeen, furthest out west is Homebush Bay.

At the moment, we have no excursions for Ecosystem At Risk or Urban Places.
We've got one lined up for Tourism and thats it I think for the HSC course.

OMG........

Hey does anyone know of any Geography Conferences or Meetings for Geography people. Cos I want to go to... it's kinda geting boring in class.

firehose

HSC
yea extra-curricular activities for geographers seem few and far between, esp. when compared to the ten million maths and science stuff goin around us...

dunno if any of u's are doin it too but aus Geography comp is extended to senior school now too!! yay!!

for excursions we're doing fish farm in kurnell for ppl/eco activity, and a field study trip in the City/Pyrmont for urban

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
firehose said:
dunno if any of u's are doin it too but aus Geography comp is extended to senior school now too!! yay!!
really?? i loved the geography comp in yrs 9 and 10... got high distinctions! never got them for any other comps. im glad it got extended to seniors while i still am one... hope i can do it...

HSC
elisabeth said:
We went to Mt. Kosciuszko. Not the ski season, unfortunately. Went on an 18km hike to the top. Um, so not fun. The staying in lodge/travelling/being with friends part was good though.
I think that's where we're going too. How long did you go for?

bustinjustin

HSC
firehose said:
Yeah Geopgraphy is so relaxed, my class (consisting of 8 ppl) just sit around whenever the teacher's late or away (and even when hes there too).. downside is the tendency to slack off and concentrate on other more harder stuff. still it doesnt matter to much as the assessment tasks largely involve essay writing (until the trial when ill need to pick up my act!)

And yes unfortunately Geography is experiencing declining numbers statewide... around the 5000 mark.. very sad. its particularly evident at my school as only 8 ppl do it while around 45 do eco, 85 do chem and 100 phys
hehe im one of those 8 people!
I quite like geo, not necessarily for the work though
but it is my best subject
this is justin btw
our teacher is cool, quite an oddball i must say ;)
and sadly, our class may be the last one at our school forever and ever

firehose

HSC
Hey Justin :) how's life?
Yeah shame about that, stupid year 11s not picking geo :eek:

casualcomedy

HSC
Ahh Geography what can I say? One of the most underrated subjects of the HSC course most apparent at my school with a class of 8, but averaging between 2 and 3 students a lesson.

Yup I'm in the sticks and the worst thing about geography would be the excursions so far we've looked at the local bushland reserve and a lagoon. Yep big stuff and all we had to do was travel 3 hrs on a stinking bus to get there for just one day. Though the place wasn't great, the adventure was a little more fun.

I'm ranked first in the class but eh it's not too hard to be. But thats not the point for myself really cause basically for me geography is one of my great interests and I enjoy it for some unknown reason which I can't explain.

Anyway, the poor little subject of Geography will continue living on.... unless there is a syllabus change.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
my class consists of only 5 students and it's still going on but the sad thing is there's really only 2 people trying and the rest are just following. But i'm coiming first.

And weirdly it's getting very very popular..... the yr11 geo class has 24 students can you believe it... a full class.

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Yeh, Geo has been on the decline for quite a while now. In Yr11 our class had about 11 students. By Yr12 there were only 5 of us left.
It probably doesn't have a great reputation in terms of the HSC and UAI, but stick with it. Despite the fact it doesn't scale as well as other subjects, if you can get a Band 6, you're in good shape.

I can remember our excursion for "Ecosystems at Risk", we went down to Towra Point. It was a stinking hot day where we had to hike about 3km through "warm" (the sun had heated the knee-deep puddles/mud) mud and water to get to a particular patch of inter-tidal wetland/swamp.
Best bit of the day was when we got back to the mini-bus and drove to the local service station to get cold drinks.

tenfour

HSC
N/A
Geo is cool!

It's a similar pattern in my school at SBHS. Being selective all the kids do physics,economics and chemsitry to get top marks. I think that if they apply themselves to anyhting they like they'll do jsut as well if not better. I quite enjoy geography and find that takes me to other places away form the classroom or textbook. Our clas expanded this year due to an acceleration program initatied by our teacher who's a HSC marker. As a result the mixed class of year 11's and 12's make 16. It's all good and being in yr 11 gives me a lot of expereince with the HSC. Also I'm happy that i'm able to beat the yr 12's!

dypos

Ecosystems

hiiii everyone i need some help!!! im doing ecosystem functioning in relation to the Macquarie Marshes - but mainly... how would you write about natural functions in relation to a wetland????

thanks loads xx please help me!

firehose

HSC
I may as well kick something off here...

'had a Geography excursion on Friday, it was great fun. Went to the Silver beach Fish Farm at Kurnell, it was located off the beach in the bay and right next to the Oil Refinery Wharf and captain cooks landing place. It was very interesting to see the farm and those huge nets holding probably a thousand snapper and jewfish, although the shed we had to work in was very dangy and old. It was a great day, something different to experience.

Nikearashaei

HSC
Yeah i suppose

Well i am currently in a class of three and am not sure about my ranking (Do geography through distance ed)

Geography is an excellent subject that allows you to see further into areas of the world. From doing geography i want to visit Nepal (Seems really intersting) I also like being able to get an indepth understanding of the human race and things like that it is very different from my other subjects.

Seem to be crusin with it hope everyone else is doig fine.

burnzy

skeeze16 said:
Whhhhoooo Yeah go geography!!!!
My favourite subect.
Best part of prelim course = The thing on natural ecosytems or landfors or whatever it was. We did it on beaches and we had a field trip to Narrabeen for the day, fantastic stuff.

HSC course is good too. I love urban places, but ecosystems and economic activity are good too.

Last December we went on a 3 day field trip to Hunter Region for our case studies. For economic activity we did Winemaking at Rothbury
Ecosystems: we did Shortland Wetlands at Newcastle
Urban Dynmaics We did urban consolidation in Nelson Bay.

Great trip, great subject. Pity it has had declining numbers of students doing it in recent years.
wow you were so lucky.. we got a day trip to see all of that and thats only because we are from newcastle.. should swap notes and see how they compare

Nikearashaei

HSC
well you are lucky you get to do thigns like that. as i mentioned earlier i do mine through corresponadnce, and yeah i live in rural NSW so it is a fair hike to see these things.

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
Nikearashaei said:
Well i am currently in a class of three and am not sure about my ranking (Do geography through distance ed)
hmm... i wonder... im in a class of three, doing geography through distance ed... i wonder if your in my class?? do you go through walgett by any chance?

rockets

HSC
N/A
Hey any of you 05ers got any prelim notes you can share around ?????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)