LET's bring some life to this forum!!! (1 Viewer)

dezzy

HSC
C'mon fellow geographers!

How are we all?

What's our fave topic in the HSC/Prelim Course?

Best thing about geography?

Worst thing?

How many people in your class?
Whats your position?

Do you like your teacher?

POST AWAY!!!

Whhhhoooo Yeah go geography!!!!
My favourite subect.
Best part of prelim course = The thing on natural ecosytems or landfors or whatever it was. We did it on beaches and we had a field trip to Narrabeen for the day, fantastic stuff.

HSC course is good too. I love urban places, but ecosystems and economic activity are good too.

Last December we went on a 3 day field trip to Hunter Region for our case studies. For economic activity we did Winemaking at Rothbury
Ecosystems: we did Shortland Wetlands at Newcastle
Urban Dynmaics We did urban consolidation in Nelson Bay.

Great trip, great subject. Pity it has had declining numbers of students doing it in recent years.

dezzy

HSC
yea i know what you mean
I think people think its all about map reading and skills exercises.
but its so much more than that!
i love it!

Good to see you love it to!

ooo- winemaking..that would be interesting!!!

My case studies are

Ecosystems @ risk= Sand Dunes and Littoral Rainforest
Peeps & Economic Activity= Tourism and Jamberoo Rec Park
Urban Places= Sydney and Kiama

Yaya! A fellow geographer!
nice to meet you!

Yeah I rekon.
People often bag geo out and say its a stupid useless subject.
Well as someone who does ancient history I can says its heaps more useful than ancient. Lol. Geography is awesome coz your work is relavant to the world around us at the current time. Like whenever you lok in the paper there'll be an article somehow related to geography.
I also find that geography complememnts, and is complenmented by economics. E.g in my eco test today i was able to use my geographical knowledge for the ecologically sustainable deelopment part.

Yeah, I did geo in yrs 7 and 8. But not in year 9. But once we had to do the complusory SC course I was hooked. I got 100 in the SC that year, which was great. (Now if only I could repeat that in the hsc, Hmm.. not likely)
I have a really fantastic teacher too ans she makes it even more worthwhile.

Lol ok there's my geography propaganda rant for today.

PookieMonster

Got bored & left 30/01/05
HSC
dezzy said:
C'mon fellow geographers!

How are we all?

What's our fave topic in the HSC/Prelim Course?

Best thing about geography?

Worst thing?

How many people in your class?
Whats your position?

Do you like your teacher?

POST AWAY!!!
ok geography. to be honest i come first by a fair bit (try ten marks) but our class has 4 people. i like my teacher. i liked economic activity cos i pretty much taught the class aboutt he wine industry having grown up in it. To the guy doing Rothbury: my grandparents planted part of that vineyard.
yeah we have a winery but we did caperciallie. his kids went to our school. but the winemaker/owner was the apprentice winemaker for saxonvale when my grandparents planted and looked after the vineyard. its now hill of hope. or hope estate or something.

Caboodles

My favourite part in geography is basically anything weather related- I think we studied that in the prelim course though!:(
Teacher is good and the class is relatively small.... I think about 12 students in total!:)
I missed out on most of my casestudy excursions though- I had to compete in the State Envriothon thingy at the Blue Mountains- that was awesome though getting to trek through the bush and stuff:D

dezzy

HSC
awsome!

yea, my class only had 5 people in total. about 15 or so during the prelim course but most people dropped off.

hows the geography prep going for the hsc?
im just taking it easy at the moment.

Caboodles

dezzy said:
awsome!

yea, my class only had 5 people in total. about 15 or so during the prelim course but most people dropped off.

hows the geography prep going for the hsc?
im just taking it easy at the moment.
Yeah I just arranged all of my sheets- about 6-7 folders fulla random stuff, and am just sitting back at the moment as I have art portfolios to do and stuff like that.
I'm not too worried about the exam though- are you?

dezzy

HSC
nope..im not too worried either.

i just need to brush up on my skills and refresh my case studies then it should all be sweet.

you cant really study too much for geography i find. it doesnt contain that much content to remember.

malkin86

HSC
On an excursion to our case study... someone brought their camera and was taking photos of things.. on the way back, our teacher fell asleep, so what else could we do but get a photo? We gave him a copy made up into a card. :)

dezzy

HSC
Haha!

how funny's that!!!

on one of our field trips, we got these microphone thingy's which picked up the sounds of birds and stuff in this heaps high magnification.

on the bus we were using them to listen to the chick's convo's or to see if anyone was farting or anyting...that was heaps funy

jellybean8622

geographers! hello
and a fellow wollongong person...even better
yeah geog is by far my fave subject, and i do really well in it too. thinking about doing something geography related next year, we'll see how my marks are though!
only a week till our exam, im not to worried about it, like someone else said, just revise the case studies :)
i prefer the human side of the course, especially sydney
i agree, so many people pass geography off as this 'peice of piss' subject where all do is read maps. i seriously think i have spent about 5 lessons this year looking at a map!!!!....your right, it should scale more
our teacher told a few of us that are currently in band 6 not to expect that in the hsc cos its really hard to get into the top band...has anyone else heard the same???

good luck all

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
jellybean8622 said:
geographers! hello
your right, it should scale more
our teacher told a few of us that are currently in band 6 not to expect that in the hsc cos its really hard to get into the top band...has anyone else heard the same???
Well only about 10% of the course got a band 6 last year, which has been consistent with previous years. They don't make it hard so that it's impossible to get a band 6, they don't have quotas as to how many ppl can get band 6,5 etc. As long as you achieve the necessary requirements/standards, you'll get a band 6.
I'd look closely at the past HSC marking guidelines (available from the Board of Studies site), and look at the standards for each band.

But yeh good luck..

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
dezzy said:
nope..im not too worried either.

i just need to brush up on my skills and refresh my case studies then it should all be sweet.

you cant really study too much for geography i find. it doesnt contain that much content to remember.
Yeah, case studies and skills are important, but you need to understand and know the theory as well. Last years HSC, in the essay questions, they didn't directly ask us questions on our case studies, in other words the questions were based on the theory(but u use examples and case studies to back up your arguments).
So I would definately go over the theory/syllabus points and make sure you understand them. An essay which is very generalised isn't going to score very high, you need to be able to use geographic terminology and theory, as well as bringing in real-world examples in order to get band 6 for your essays.

So yeh, don't stress over it too much and take it easy, but make sure you're prepared for everything in the course.

Good Luck...

..:MizJay:..

Super Supre Member
HSC
Yeah Geography is AWESOME! Its so interesting and everything is so relevant to today! there's so much fascinating stuff to learn.. its one of those few subjects where everything u learn (ok, almost everything) is useful! Our class is only 3 people.. i go to a girls school and it isnt too big there.. i think its cause the junior geo courses r quite boring cause u actually need to know shit! but yeh we did wetlands at avalon and sandunes on the palmy tombola for eco, rothbury estate for people and economic activity, and we studied cessnock as the small town thing while we were up there... twas ok.. actually it was pretty damn good! cept we were all squished in this tiny hatchback eunos there and back... then the teacher (male) INSISTED we had to go via the m4 watever it is with all the houses on the "way home" (northern beaches).. apart from that its been a pretty laid back year and ive had fun..

sorry if that doesnt make sense.. my brother is watching the timon and pumbaa dvd in the backround and hes changed it to spanish.. soo distracting lol random

the fat kat

Hey, im froma class of three, with the principal being our teacher.
i have done geography my whole highskool life and lovin it. Also topping the class.
Our casetsudies:
ecosytemes: rainforest- El Imposible; alpine- Mt kosciouszko
Urban Places: worldcity- London; megacity-Mexico City; urban Places Sydney
(i go to skool in Scone)
Econ0mic Activity:tourism- Scone And Muswellbrook Visitor Information Centre

I have had a beuatiful 17 day breaf as maths was my last exam. Cruising thru geo.

Blacksnack- i luv Romans 12:1-2 and 5.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
love the enthusiasm dez!! lol

just looked at all the posts, everyone on here has TINY classes!!! mine's 11 & i thought that was small (its my smallest)

as for geo, im not that good (pretty close to the bottom of the class..). most of the work this year went a bit over my head.....
ecosystems was ok (lake illawarra & great barrier reef)
urban dynamics i dont get (barely remember what we actually did for that lol mexico city & tokyo sound a bit familiar now)
people & eco activity wasnt too bad...a bit rushed imo(urban consolidation in nth gong)

good luck everyone anyway...

hmmm....any gong people feel lile studying with me sometime..*looks in dez' direction* lol

ebonyv

HSC
N/A
im great
the best subject in geography hsc course in the ecosystems at risk one where our class went to minnamurra rainforest for the day.
the best thing about geography is that you can relax more than other subjects some days you do 10 pages of notes and most days none. its prbably the most buldgy subject besides music.
the worst thing about geography is probably the tourism topic.... we went to a vineyard to learn about the wine industry and the old man who owned it knew nothing ... it was a real drag.
there are 15 people in my class 12 boys and 3 girls. i am either usually 2nd or 3rd place in mi class.
my teacher is ok but gets put off task easy. my teacher is the coach of the senior boys football team and most the guys in my class play in that team so most the time the class talks about sport.

hows pplz prepreation4 the hsc going??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)