Lectures (1 Viewer)

purplemonkey

HSC
Hey does anyone know if there is somewhere on the bankstown campus where you can borrow dictaphones? And if you have to pay for them? I'm trying it out to see if its an effective way of getting those notes I missed in the lecture while writing other stuff down...Also how big are they (can they sit discreetly under a chair?) and do I bring my own tape? Thanks guys!

Vahl

HSC
You have trouble taking notes in your lectures???

What units are you doing?

In my units for Arts(I do Arts/Laws) I print my reading notes and the lecture notes; then I add anything that comes to mind in the lecture, that way I can add all the valuble stuff that is extra in the lecture :)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I just wack a lil device on my ipod, woks ok but its mainly for my peace of mind. In terms of the notes, for some subjects the lecturer will put them online a few days before or even on the day, just check webct b4 the lecture :)

purplemonkey

HSC
Yeah, I get the notes for two of my four subjects, it would just be helpful for me to tape for when it comes to assignments, I'm better having it explained to me again when I'm by myself...this way if I'm having trouble I dont have to go all the way into uni for help, especially if it's just something in the lecture I need repeated (geez I sound like a dumb-ass, but I'm really not! :p ..) . Anyway, does anyone know where I can borrow one?....Or what that thing you put on your iPod is?...

ohdato

HSC
A few people in my lectures (mostly sociology and criminology)
put their recorders on the lectures table out the front before class.
Never used one so cant say yay or nay but if its an important
lecture how could it hurt? I'd say it'd pay for itself over the lifespan of a degree..

I just get notes before the lecture as much as possible.

Vahl

HSC
purplemonkey said:
Yeah, I get the notes for two of my four subjects, it would just be helpful for me to tape for when it comes to assignments, I'm better having it explained to me again when I'm by myself...this way if I'm having trouble I dont have to go all the way into uni for help, especially if it's just something in the lecture I need repeated (geez I sound like a dumb-ass, but I'm really not! :p ..) . Anyway, does anyone know where I can borrow one?....Or what that thing you put on your iPod is?...
Hey, tell me what you're doing and I might be able to help you: ie send you my notes :)

aleco88

HSC
those voice recorders look incredible. Can you hear the lecturers voice clearly?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
meh mines not bad considering I paid $20 for mine...but I dont listen to it much and keep it with me, so it would be more effective if I put it on the desk at the front...still it has 60gb storage and thus I dont need to fiddle with tapes or worry abt running out of space :)

aleco88

HSC
thanks for the info. I'm going to get one. It seems quite handy to have

ohdato

HSC
But because its on the ipod you still cant transfer it back onto PC can you? much like the mp3s etc...
unless you went the dodgey and tried recorded the recording haha

Optophobia

HSC
A guy always walks down the front of one of my lectures with a walkman sort of thing and places it near the lecturer.

melodic_gal

HSC
purplemonkey said:
Hey does anyone know if there is somewhere on the bankstown campus where you can borrow dictaphones? And if you have to pay for them? I'm trying it out to see if its an effective way of getting those notes I missed in the lecture while writing other stuff down...Also how big are they (can they sit discreetly under a chair?) and do I bring my own tape? Thanks guys!

im not too sure but i think you can borrow one at the uws library because i seen few people using it in one of those study rooms. ... yeah i think library

krisk85

Random
HSC
N/A
i was at bankstown.. people get little recorders and put it on the lecturers podium thing.. use ur ipod and an accessory.. or go ebay and pick one up for cheap

L

LaraB

krisk85 said:
i was at bankstown.. people get little recorders and put it on the lecturers podium thing.. use ur ipod and an accessory.. or go ebay and pick one up for cheap
U can buy tape recorder ones for $50 ish at the lowest level... tapes area few $ each only.

There probably isn't any point buying an expensive MD one or hard disk one or anything - you don't need it to be too fab to serve it's puprpose.. i have one that's one of those 'mini tape' ones.. was i think $100... tapes were $7 for 4.. bought it start of last year and still works fine:)

krisk85

Random
HSC
N/A
LaraB said:
U can buy tape recorder ones for $50 ish at the lowest level... tapes area few $ each only.

There probably isn't any point buying an expensive MD one or hard disk one or anything - you don't need it to be too fab to serve it's puprpose.. i have one that's one of those 'mini tape' ones.. was i think $100... tapes were $7 for 4.. bought it start of last year and still works fine:)
do you use it for all of your lectures?

L

LaraB

krisk85 said:
do you use it for all of your lectures?
Nah...

This semester i haven't needed to use it coz i only use it for busines stuff - no point for the law stuff, and my business lectures this semester have more or less been read straight off the lecture notes.

But used it heaps last year coz had a few lectures that there were about 50 points on lecture notes that ended up being elaborated into about 200 lol n it was hard to get at first so if you take notes and then hear it back again it makes more sense:) Can be pretty useful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)