Lecturer not marking my assignment that was over the word count (1 Viewer)

megaman64

HSC
I have a submitted a report for a subject that had a 2.75k work limit but I have submitted one that was around 3.5k words. The lecturer seeing this, said that he isn't going to mark my report and has given me a second change to resubmit with one that is in the word limit but won't give a mark over 50%.
Is there a way that I can appeal this situation?
Thanks.

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you can? Check with the assessment rule in course outline first

megaman64

HSC
Thanks for the response,

On the course outline, it doesn't say anything about the report not getting marked for being over, it just says 2500 +10% words.
Where would I go to get an appeal?

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the response,

On the course outline, it doesn't say anything about the report not getting marked for being over, it just says 2500 +10% words.
Where would I go to get an appeal?
You'll have to Google as I'm not sure. But the usual practice is if it goes over the word limit, tutors would just mark the first 2750 words max, and ignore the rest. You must piss him off or sth?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Next above the lecturer, would be the undergrad co-odinator for your faculty? So maybe approach him/her?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
There is also the possibility that for a certain percentage over the word limit, you actually get a certain percentage of marks deducted, and since you are significantly over the word limit, it may be it is already going to get at least 50% deducted regardless hence the lecturer is making such a comment.

EDIT: For the future though, there is a word limit in assignments for a reason, and the challenge will always be trying to cut down words within the word limit-hence it is better to try to cut it down within the word limit in the first place-because that is one of the essential criteria of assignment-which is answering the question succinctly. But regardless, best of luck in appealing this decision.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
lel shouldve screenshotted parts of your assignment and stick it in as picture so your "word limit" is lower or place-this-between-words-and-make-the-colour-white

leehuan

HSC
lel shouldve screenshotted parts of your assignment and stick it in as picture so your "word limit" is lower or place-this-between-words-and-make-the-colour-white
Can you actually get away with this lmao

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji780][emoji780][emoji780][emoji780]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)