Law electives (1 Viewer)

Tabris

HSC
So what are u guys and girls (G2G, MJ, IWR, Scarecrow, Melsc and others) planning to do this year???

S1

LAW316 Prop & Equity 1

considering:

LAW407 Labour law
LAW503 Taxation
LAW509 international law
LAW522 Advanced torts
LAW521 Health law and ethics.

S2
LAW317 Prop & Equity 2

considering:
LAW402 Family law
LAW415 DIspute management and resolution
LAW436 Modern Corporate Governance

Anyone completed or planning to do any subjects.

maka

HSC
I am doing Family Law and Dispute Management and Resolution in Semester 2.

I have heard great things about DMR.

HSC
N/A
i'm doing:

remedies
international law
health law and ethics

business organisations
dispute resolution management
politics and the constitution

maka

HSC
Hey Tabris,

If you dont mind me adding to this thread

If anyone has done any/some of the law electives available could you please give your opinions/thoughts on any that stand out for being great or so poor that they should be avoided.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I'm doing

S1:
International
EU Law
Advanced Torts
IT

S2:
foundations of commercial law
Litigation

Then finissssshed!!!! :D

ADR is absolutely fantastic, as is health law. Remedies is a bore but you have to struggle through it. Tabris, have you done remedies already? If not, I recommend that you do all your core units this year, but leave litigation to fifth year.

IP was a big disappointment, but for some reason (peer pressure!!) I'm doing IT even though it is run by the same person.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Semester 1
LAW314 Constitutional Law & Administration I
LAW316 Property Law in Equity I
LAW509 International Law
(Wanted to do LAW427 :( but its not running)

Semester 2
LAW315 Constitutional Law & Administration I
LAW317 Property Law in Equity I
SOC365

Do law electives fill up quickly? I am worried because despite having a waiver for LAW509 estudent will not let me enrol in it. If it fills up what are law electives in autumn are good?

How hard is it to get into the clinical programs, is it unlikely even if you apply each semester?

Last edited:

maka

HSC
Will Constititutional/Admin and Property/Equity be as boring and uninteresting as they sound?

If anyone has done them, could you please give a brief rundown on your thoughts and assessments.

Thanks in advance

Tabris

HSC
Const. law is interesting and it runs through semester 1 and 4 weeks into semester 2 (before switching to admin law).

you will be doing the various powers of the government and the trends going on with human rights.

Last year, assessment is 20% class part (of which 10% is presentation), 20-30% half research/opinion/theory essay and the rest of the marks in a two question take-home exam (one theory and one practical problem).

Admin law in law315 is relatively boring (IMO), Iain does a good job with humor but there was only me a 6 others in the lecture by week 6 (that just shows how uninteresting it can be).

Last year, assessment was easy, a compulsory 5 min presentation worth 10%, 35% research task on human rights and the constitution and 55% research task on administrative law.

Also, try to get Iain or Margaret as your tutor.

If u want to know more, ask Scarecrow, IWR, Mary Jane and G2G, they also done those subject.

Last edited:

maka

HSC
Hey has anyone done Labour Law?

If so, could you please tell me what sort of stuff you cover and what the assessments are like?

The MQ Law site makes it seem overly like Jurisprudence which I think is the most hated word ever for law students. Still get nightmares about the depth of those theorists who take 40 pages to explain nothing.

Still Ive heard the 4 hours of classes often becomes 2 hours and becomes quite cruisy.

Thanks in advance

PS: MJ, 4 LAW subjects in a semester. Let us know how it goes. I was contemplating it too for next semester.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)