law/commerce v computer science (1 Viewer)

xibu34

HSC
Been stuck between these two degrees and wondering if anybody could provide me with their experiences. Honestly, law/commerce and even economics/law interests me a lot more but the idea of grinding away in an office for the rest of my life as a lawyer in the hopes of finally making equity partner halfway through my life is kind of frightening for me. Also, the tuition is massive and with rising inflation it's going to be really difficult to pay off HELP debt. It will also limit my borrowing capacity and my goal is to run a business in the future so that is definitely a big downside.

As for computer science it interests me a little less but I could get my tuition fee completely paid in scholarships and probably even earn more straight out of uni. For context I'm thinking of most likely going to unsw, so those degrees would most likely be done there.

idkkdi

HSC
Been stuck between these two degrees and wondering if anybody could provide me with their experiences. Honestly, law/commerce and even economics/law interests me a lot more but the idea of grinding away in an office for the rest of my life as a lawyer in the hopes of finally making equity partner halfway through my life is kind of frightening for me. Also, the tuition is massive and with rising inflation it's going to be really difficult to pay off HELP debt. It will also limit my borrowing capacity and my goal is to run a business in the future so that is definitely a big downside.

As for computer science it interests me a little less but I could get my tuition fee completely paid in scholarships and probably even earn more straight out of uni. For context I'm thinking of most likely going to unsw, so those degrees would most likely be done there.
Law/cs?

dav53521

HSC
In my opinion it is not that easy to get a good tech job out of uni (unless you do a co-op, have a cadetship or employed at a company) due to the current popularity of comp sci and the tech job market wanting experince. This means that to get a job you must demonstrate why you should be hired over everyone else which means that you have to do more than just your degree as tbh a comp sci degree by itself is kinda worthless which is why a lot of people out of uni up-skill themselves and go for internships. However, these things will take time and will have to be done outside of uni which means that comp-sci is an actual commitment and is not just a degree you can enter and expect to be hire-able straight out of degree (if you just have the degree and no work experince or desirable skills).

hehe43

HSC
You can do law/com or law/eco and not be a lawyer. Stuff like investment banking and many other high paying careers like to hire law grads, especially those from Go8 unis.

xibu34

HSC
You can do law/com or law/eco and not be a lawyer. Stuff like investment banking and many other high paying careers like to hire law grads, especially those from Go8 unis.
I have thought about IB, although from what I've heard the burnout rate is really high and hours can range from 80-100 a week. Would politics be something you could enter with a degree in law/eco ?

xibu34

HSC
In my opinion it is not that easy to get a good tech job out of uni (unless you do a co-op, have a cadetship or employed at a company) due to the current popularity of comp sci and the tech job market wanting experince. This means that to get a job you must demonstrate why you should be hired over everyone else which means that you have to do more than just your degree as tbh a comp sci degree by itself is kinda worthless which is why a lot of people out of uni up-skill themselves and go for internships. However, these things will take time and will have to be done outside of uni which means that comp-sci is an actual commitment and is not just a degree you can enter and expect to be hire-able straight out of degree (if you just have the degree and no work experince or desirable skills).
Good point, a lot of older people always ramble on about how they would do computer science or IT instead of other degrees such as law which is what kind of got my interest. But the majority of them probably don't realise that it's competitive and difficult like any other job. Honestly, computer science probably isn't my thing.

dav53521

HSC
Good point, a lot of older people always ramble on about how they would do computer science or IT instead of other degrees such as law which is what kind of got my interest. But the majority of them probably don't realise that it's competitive and difficult like any other job. Honestly, computer science probably isn't my thing.
In the end it's up to you as someone has said above you could try to do law/comp-sci if you want but you could always switch into comp sci if you really feel like you want to do it

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think both fields have their challenges but generally if you aren't passionate about the topic, then it's that much harder to be successful in it.

IMO if you can get into law, it will probably open up more doors since most professional jobs tend to value people who have studied law, and it also says alot about you if you're able to get into law (at a decent uni) and finish it/do well. You don't have to become a lawyer in a firm or an investment banker... plenty of other white collar jobs will recognise the different perspective you bring whether it be risk/compliance, other aspects of banking, taxation, etc.

d1zzyohs

HSC
computer science is only oversaturated for people who are average.
there is a shortage of good computer science grads - if you do well at school and apply yourself, there is definitely no shortage.
(Besides right now, where everyone is struggling to find a job, because of the terrible job market, but this isn't just comp sci).
I haven't met a single grad student/senior who was great at school and personal projects and got into a mediorce job. I know a few seniors who are already in companies like Jane Street, which pay 400-600k total compensation first year out of uni.

if your not interested in comp sci, don't do it - but i know so many high schoolers who are interested in law and then do law at uni and drop out :pirate:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
nah it's 400k for js. optiver's paying interns 175 pro rata for quant trading rn
js?

I have heard about the Optiver rem though being the highest in the industry although that's really the very top upper echelons of the field..

dav53521

HSC
I assume that js stands for java script or JS Bank either way I don't think people are getting paid 400k for either of them

idkkdi

HSC
js?

I have heard about the Optiver rem though being the highest in the industry although that's really the very top upper echelons of the field..
jane street they hire for their hk office from some sydney unis
damn... how hard is it to get a job at JS?
usually 90 wams adv maths/cs. very hard. wams generally start dropping once u get to 2nd yr+ courses. you should be trying to get 95+s during 1st yr

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Just keep in mind that regrets are often voiced louder than satisfaction (ie you're more likely to hear from law students/lawyers who express a sense of regret than those who endorse a law degree/being a lawyer). I wouldn't necessarily let them deter you.

However, in deciding between Law and Computer Science, it might be useful to take into account the following:
  1. Interest - If you're confident that computer science isn't your thing, then it's unlikely that you'll have the right attitude required to excel in and persevere for the course.
  2. Strengths - Do you like STEM? Would you like a course that involves a lot of reading and writing? If you don't like huge amounts of reading and writing, then Law (whether its the course or the profession) is probably not going to suit you.
  3. Your ultimate goal - If your goal is to build a startup/business, then I'd say Law and Computer Science will each probably have their own benefits. E.g. Law might assist with understanding/appreciating legal structures, legal issues (e.g. contract, tort, intellectual property), governance, etc. whilst Computer Science might assist with certain technical skills (e.g. coding), web development, etc.

idkkdi

HSC
Just keep in mind that regrets are often voiced louder than satisfaction (ie you're more likely to hear from law students/lawyers who express a sense of regret than those who endorse a law degree/being a lawyer). I wouldn't necessarily let them deter you.

However, in deciding between Law and Computer Science, it might be useful to take into account the following:
  1. Interest - If you're confident that computer science isn't your thing, then it's unlikely that you'll have the right attitude required to excel in and persevere for the course.
  2. Strengths - Do you like STEM? Would you like a course that involves a lot of reading and writing? If you don't like huge amounts of reading and writing, then Law (whether its the course or the profession) is probably not going to suit you.
  3. Your ultimate goal - If your goal is to build a startup/business, then I'd say Law and Computer Science will each probably have their own benefits. E.g. Law might assist with understanding/appreciating legal structures, legal issues (e.g. contract, tort, intellectual property), governance, etc. whilst Computer Science might assist with certain technical skills (e.g. coding), web development, etc.
ye just to add if stuck between law and cs just do both imo and maybe drop one if u don’t like it. commerce is learnt easily enough on ur own

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)