Law at UWS vs Accounting at UTS (1 Viewer)

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
Hey!

I've always wanted to do law, but as i got a uai of 91, i can't do it anywhere but in UWS. well, i knew i'd get that UAI, and didn't really try to get that 99.something. Well, instead i want to do accounting now, which seems great cause i can get into UTS, which is a great uni.

Now the question is, is it a good idea to do law at UWS instead of accounting at UTS? I do have a higher interest in law, but i'm not sure if it's the right decision. I never even thought about UWS law till now!

thanks!

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Re: Law at UWS?

I don't understand, if law is what you want to do why wouldn't you do law?

Spirits

HSC
N/A

YBK said:
Now the question is, is it a good idea to do law at UWS instead of accounting at UTS? I do have a higher interest in law, but i'm not sure if it's the right decision. I never even thought about UWS law till now!
Hi, I agree with Neo - it would probably be best to do what you want.

I personally think that the UWS law school is under-rated (i.e. its a lot better than most people realise). There was a discussion on this topic here: http://community.boredofstudies.org/331/law/130759/alternative-choice-uws-law.html

Anyway, whatever decision you make, best of luck!

YBK

HSC

haha, thanks guys!

well how about accounting/law at UWS? is that okay, considering job prospects.. would you be a fully qualified lawyer AND accountant as a consequence of that degree?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC

I always stand by doing what you have an interest in, you will not do as well if you are in the uni you want but a degree you have little interest in (trust me I know heaps of my friends who have failed and had to work hard to transfer into what they want because of it).

As for being qualified as a lawyer/accountant, I am not sure about the accounting side someone else might be able to field that one, as for a lawyer, regardless of where you go, you will still need to do 6 months practical legal training to pratice in NSW the college of law, UWS, UTS and UoW i think are the only ones that offer it at the uni, where ever you go you will have to do it, a benefit of UWS is you can do it there once you finish the LLB

I will copy and paste my opinion from another thread on UWS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been at UWS for a year and I think it is a good choice for those who just can't quite make the cutoff at other uni's however even though I think the program is good and am sure the work is similar across the board, I do not think it is fair to 'sell' the uni to anyone, which uni you choose is ultimately up to you! What you want and need from it should factor into your choice not how others percieve it or how good someone tells you it is.

I think the best way to know if you will like a uni is go there, at least to an open day and not to listen to other students (by that I mean dont put a huge amount of weight on it) etc...because afterall we are all different.

I thought I would like UWS a lot and to some extent I really do, however there are somethings that I don't like which is fine, i've tried it and am now hoping to try someone else but that does not take away from the fact that some people like it and that is fine, in the end it is what you like, want and need, like anything some people like smooth peanut butter and others like crunchy, but you wont know if you like it until you try it for yourself, because as much as someone tells you its good, you will just never know!

There are many threads on this board about UWS law just do a search, this is a recent one http://community.boredofstudies.org/331/law/130759/alternative-choice-uws-law.html

Go to the open day tomorrow I think it is and besides you can always transfer out if you don't like it, give it a go if it is what you want to do, and if you change your mind, you can always use the credit for something somewhere else...

Good luck and remeber to do what you enjoy!

Last edited:
T

Testpilot

Is your concern about doing law at UWS about a lack of prestige? Because if it is, you can always transfer to another law school.

Conspirocy

HSC

You can go to UWS and do B Bus/ B Law and major in accounting...also I think with a 91 wollongong is also an option for you law wise.

For me if your going to go to one of those Uni's you really have to back yourself that your good enough. Problem is you wont find out until maybe a year and a half at uni. Sure people can say its a good uni, and that UWS is put down when its actually a lot better if not as good as others. People can say the course work in the same. At the end of the day, the stero types that are attatched to uni's are what you will have to deal with, whether you like it or not. In in the 5 years (I think its 5) it would take you to finish your degree I doubt everyone is going to suddenly change.

So sure their is always a decision to do what you want, and I'm not saying to not do that. But there are heaps of ways to get into law, you could transfer after 1st year if you work hard enough. You could transfer at the end of your 3 year business degree:

- if you study at uts its another 2 years
- if you get into usyd/unsw its another 3 (worst case your at uni for an extra year...except the extra year is actuall another major in business)

I wouldn't jump at the first opportunity because perhaps it isn't the best for you.

hYperTrOphY

HSC

YBK said:
Now the question is, is it a good idea to do law at UWS instead of accounting at UTS?
Do you want to be a lawyer or an accountant?

YBK said:
I've always wanted to do law
Do law at UWS, then.

YBK said:
Well, instead i want to do accounting now
Why?

YBK said:
cause i can get into UTS, which is a great uni.
What is wrong with UWS? Do you have actual reasons for preferring UTS?
Whether you choose to study law, accounting, nursing or forensic science is of greater importance, in my opinion, than your decision to study at UWS or UTS.

TriState

HSC
Good point! If you want to study law, then thats more important than which university you go to. After you graduate, you'll become a lawyer, regardless of which uni you went to. And after a while, no one will look at which uni you got your degree from (unless you want to become a high court judge).

turtleface

HSC

YBK said:
haha, thanks guys!

well how about accounting/law at UWS? is that okay, considering job prospects.. would you be a fully qualified lawyer AND accountant as a consequence of that degree?
to be a "qualified" lawyer you have to be admitted, which means basically experience after uni/ a PLT diploma.

to be a "qualified" "general" accountant you have to do your CA/CPA which will take 3 years after uni as long as you pass the subjects.

to be a "qualified" auditor/liquidator you're looking at 3 years of CA/CPA and about 8 years+ of experience

Richardmrwig

HSC
If you study something that you're not really passionate about, then you'll really really hate uni at best, or fail and drop out at worst.

This particularly applies to accounting. I have several friends at school who studied it just because their parents said they should, or because they knew they could get a good job, or because it was the most prestigeous course they could get into.

Now my friends are a few years out of uni (we're 24/25) and they dread going to work every day because they just don't have the passion for accounting. Don't let yourself dread every working day for the rest of your life!

Now, as for UWS law:

Neither UTS nor UWS are top tier law schools. That means that the top 5 firms will probably not accept you for a graduate position, so it wouldn't make a huge difference if you went to UWS law.

UTS law has had its ups and downs, so I've heard, but seems to be sorting its self out.

UWS law seems to be quite a commercial law focussed course (this is my opinion, after looking at their course subject schedules). UWS law students also won the moot last year (I'm sure you've read about it in UWS promotional material), so as far as a second tier law school goes, it would seem that UWS are as good a choice as many, and better than some others.

Your third choice would be the LPAB Diploma, but if you're a school leaver I wouldn't recommend it simply for the fact that going to uni is a huge learning curve (in terms of personal growth) that you wouldn't experience doing night school.

Hope that helps!

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Richardmrwig said:
UWS law students also won the moot last year
"The moot"?

Just to let you know, there are many, many mooting competitions - both national and international. There is not one single mooting competition to be won.

Richardmrwig

HSC
By the way I forgot to add to my above post:

I've been told that doing the LPAB diploma is regarded more highly in the industry than going to a second tier law school. It's *hotly* debated as to whether an LPAB diploma or first tier law school LLB is better.

As I said before, it's best to go to uni. You can always do graduate law later on... just don't pick accounting for the prestige. You'd be better off doing something you love (a language, history, chemistry, whatever) because then you'll get MUCH better grades and get into graduate law school a whole lot easier... I speak from many years of hard painful experience :)

Richardmrwig

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
"The moot"?

Just to let you know, there are many, many mooting competitions - both national and international. There is not one single mooting competition to be won.

You're right and I am well aware that there are many mooting competitions thank you. I was referring to the [SIZE=-1]LexisNexis Constitutional law moot. I meant to say "a moot", so as not to confuse the reader with too many details.[/SIZE]

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Ah, LexisNexis.

The thing is, they actually held the LexisNexis Constitutional Law Moot at the exact same time as the (more prestigious) National Sir Harry Gibbs Constitutional Law Moot in 2006. Basically over the same 4-5 days or so. So much of the pool of mooters was drawn away to Gibbs.

Richardmrwig

HSC
Well there's one important point that UWS don't tell you about whilst parading their victory...

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I mean, good on them for winning. But yes... it was not really too competitive last year.

YBK

HSC
Thanks for the responses guys. But I got into a cadetship with the audit office and accepted an offer for UNSW accounting.

So now, i'm super passionate about accounting ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)