LAW at UTS or MACQ???????? HELP (1 Viewer)

4jess7lov

HSC
Hey guys i had wanted to do law at sydney uni or unsw but thats not going to happen anymore :( sigh..

so im thinking of arts law probably...which uni is better for law? UTS or Maquarie? the uai needed for both is about the same but i have no clue about either uni?

if you are doing law at either of these unis especially voice your thoughts but if anyone has an idea i'd appreciate it lots!

and also hows the social atmosphere at UTS and Maquarie...i was hyped to go to syd or nsw cause i know its great there..how r the others...ive heard uts is especially bad?

which law school????

doink

Clone
HSC
It doesn't really matter, I'd go macq since i shudder at the thought of doing arts at uts.

lionking1191

HSC
do commerce/arts or whateva at unsw/usyd and try to get a transfer.

or do law at uts and try transferring

04er

HSC
personally, i prefer uts... better atmosphere (imo), it's closer to the cbd so better prospects of fitting work experience into your hectic schedule and finally, night classes can be pretty awesome

spence

HSC
Yeah UTS doesn't really offer arts, their only arts courses are international studies and communications. Although the Law/Int Studies course looks pretty good

HSC
UTS has the PLT course built into it. That means you don't have to spend an extra half year and $7K at the school of law.

If you're keen on the arts subjects though I'd say maquarie.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
4jess7lov said:
and also hows the social atmosphere at UTS and Maquarie...i was hyped to go to syd or nsw cause i know its great there..how r the others...ive heard uts is especially bad?

which law school????

Atmosphere, they're all universities. They're going to be as bad or good as what you make it.

HSC
melsc said:
Both UWS and Wollongong offer PLT as well and they have normal arts degrees too so you could try them
So does Newy (first uni to do it)

I only thought UWS offered part of the course.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
cannibal.horse said:
UTS has the PLT course built into it. That means you don't have to spend an extra half year and $7K at the school of law.
I wouldn't say this is an 'advantage' for two reasons: first, you lose four law electives (which means you don't really get a broader opportunity to explore your interests in law); and secondly, most big firms pay for PLT anyway. If i were still at UTS, I think I would've not enrolled in the PLT stream and take four extra electives instead.

Tabris

HSC
Frigid said:
, most big firms pay for PLT anyway.
But most law students dont make it.........

Anyway Macquarie has a strong intercontextual and interdisciplinary rep. You get a heavy dose of jurisprudence first up.

You will be reading Foucault and theories and journal articles in both criminal law units.

A third of property law readings will be on the theory of property and a third of the readings in equity is based on power relationships, the economic justifications and history.

4 weeks will be used in commercial law (Sales of Goods Act and related legislation) will be examining the nature, evolution and rationale of lex mercatoria.

Entire labour/employment law elective does not require problem solving but involvess examining cases as well the political and economic tectonic plates beneath the law.

Off the top of my head, quite abit of intercontextual, and if your the artsy and philosophical type, law electives can sometimes easily accomodate your interdisciplinary background

Also, we get open book exams and take home exams....not sure about UTS....

HSC
Frigid said:
I wouldn't say this is an 'advantage' for two reasons: first, you lose four law electives (which means you don't really get a broader opportunity to explore your interests in law); and secondly, most big firms pay for PLT anyway. If i were still at UTS, I think I would've not enrolled in the PLT stream and take four extra electives instead.
Would those extra units be enjoyable though? You'd know better than me but it comes across as extra work...

dissipate

HSC
N/A
cannibal.horse said:
Would those extra units be enjoyable though? You'd know better than me but it comes across as extra work...
Unless you generally hate studying law, I don't see how the extra units could not be enjoyable. I'm graduating and there are still so many units I wish I could study.

charlesdinio

HSC
4jess7lov said:
Hey guys i had wanted to do law at sydney uni or unsw but thats not going to happen anymore :( sigh..

so im thinking of arts law probably...which uni is better for law? UTS or Maquarie? the uai needed for both is about the same but i have no clue about either uni?

if you are doing law at either of these unis especially voice your thoughts but if anyone has an idea i'd appreciate it lots!

which law school????
haha wow hi 5 im in the exact same boat as you!

both my sisters do law at UTS and they love it!

and i dont know what u heard bout the social life, but as far as they are concerned its extremely social!

my preferences are UTS law, UTS business/law, MAQ law, MAQ commerce / law

go UTS first i say!

jisu

HSC
how is the physical atmosphere of the campus for law students? are all law classes held in that big ugly building next to ultimo tafe?

lionking1191

HSC
jisu said:
how is the physical atmosphere of the campus for law students? are all law classes held in that big ugly building next to ultimo tafe?
lol i hated the building. and the ground floor cafeteria.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)