Lat. Cont. and Lat. Ext.: HSC 2007 (1 Viewer)

HSC
Latin Extension assessment next Thursday..yay!

We got our ACL Latin Comps back...we all did really well I think!

Did anyone else here do it?

falcon07

HSC
Our class did it, but it hasn't come back yet. We just finished chapter 9 of Livy today! Our next assessment block starts at the end of week 4. Set translation is going to be up to halfway through the 2nd section of Virgil, and probably to the end of Chapter 16 in Livy, as well as an unseen, commentary and grammar.

HSC
Yeah, we found out our results at the end of last week. 8 out of 14 got gold (yay!) and we had about 3 silvers as well and some certificates!

The scholarship isn't really worth it, nor do I think I will end up doing Latin/Greek at uni so I probably won't apply.

Oh yeah, we did the prose one only.

Our next assessment is basically a month away too. Same thing really a whole wod of Virgil and Livy (not sure which parts yet), comment, grammar and 2 unseens...(yay!)
Hopefully it'll be ok, but since it's two days after my Greek continuers...may be a bit interesting!

Blarg. I'm attempting 2 unseens now. I'm bearly awake enough to do them properly. I've done the Livy....the Virgil is annoying!

On another note we had our Latin Ext. assessment today...which wasn't a pleasant experience. Not only were most of us tired from a maths assessment we had yesterday, but we only had 45mins? to do about quite possibly an hour and a halfs worth of work...the marking guidelines for commentary were ambiguous, so we didn't know how much we were expected to write, so there was no time for checking or to do the unseen properly or anything...oh well! It's all over now! (yay even more!)

Woo late night ranting! ^_^

LivC

HSC
Hey,

I'm doing continuers and ext at SCEGGS Darlinghurst. We've had 2 assessments for continuers, neither was shocking. I'm finding ext interesting, however Lucretius seems to present sooooo many contradictions. I am a bit freaked about the paper being 1 hr 50- seems a tad short!

Was just wondering abt. methods anyone might use to prepare for the grammar section- with the exception of knowing all your grammar points really well. There seems to be soooo many questions on irregular grammar

Thanks, Liv :)

HSC
That's awesome!
I'm finding the Ext course interesting as well, but we do it at the crack of dawn twice a week...so if I'm awake it's a different story.

For grammar, something I've only realised now, the best was to prepare for it is to do heaps of noun case reason (we got provided with a lot of it, but asking maybe?) and also to check out the commentry for all the irregular grammar notes. All our teachers are pretty good at pointing out all the crappy stuff so I normally just make a note of it on my actual translations so I'll actually learn it at the same time that I'm doing translations...this is the smarter way to do it and I'm going to start applying it more often...instead of just going in and making it up. ^_^;;;

How big is the SCEGGS Darlinghurst cohort?

And it's no problem! ^_^ (always like having people to reply to! XD)

LivC

HSC
thanks...that's an awesome idea. The are four of us, and I'm the only one doing ext....which is hmm good and bad. Have u decided if you are going to do the unseen or the prose for the ext paper?

HSC
LivC said:
thanks...that's an awesome idea. The are four of us, and I'm the only one doing ext....which is hmm good and bad. Have u decided if you are going to do the unseen or the prose for the ext paper?

That's ok! All I need to do now is follow my own advice!
4's a nice number! You guys probably all get on really well? We have a Classical Greek class of 3 and we're all really really close!
Well at least you'll always be 1st no matter what in Latin ext, 'ey? XD Plus it'll ultimately help you with your continuers so you could be better equipped with general Latin skills for the hsc!

Unseen most likely because prose would be the death of me and we haven't had any preparation for it...I'm just praying I develop some 1337 unseen skillz by the HSC...

Are you also another lucky person with Latin being your first and last exam? I laughed my arse off when I found out!

Did you do the ACL? How many assessments for Latin do you have this term?

@Sheepy: Try the Board again? Or we can ask Dr Mc Lovely to look into it for us, I suppose... Prelim cohort was 232...I want how many genii dropped, 'ey?

LivC

HSC
I have an unseen for Livy and for Virgil.......and an assessment just on Livy...also have an ext one on Lucretius...how many do you have??

falcon07

HSC
TheLadyDisdain said:
Did you do the ACL? How many assessments for Latin do you have this term?
@Sheepy: Try the Board again? Or we can ask Dr Mc Lovely to look into it for us, I suppose... Prelim cohort was 232...I want how many genii dropped, 'ey?
I received my ACL result today, I received gold along with 2 others :)
If it helps, 2 dropped from our class at the end of year 11.
My next Latin exam is in a week, Livy up to chapter 9 and Virgil up to 634, grammar, commentary, unseen. We're only about 30 lines from the end of Virgil, then we'll have to do Livy every lesson.

schmoo

HSC
hello chaps! (hello liv, watch me post!)

reading through a lot of the threads on this forum, it would seem that at SCEGGS we're not the only latin class that, erm, doesn't make quite enough use of their class time. is this true for you guys as well? do you find you get completely off-track during the lesson and then you have a whole heap to revise/learn at home? if not, our class should probably pull our socksies up ... but it's all so text based that it's so tempting to leave it all til later ...

also seems to be a common theme that we all hate unseens. do you guys find that practice is really the only way to improve on these?

have a good week of latin, kids!

Gwendoline Marr

Special
HSC
schmoo said:
hello chaps! (hello liv, watch me post!)

reading through a lot of the threads on this forum, it would seem that at SCEGGS we're not the only latin class that, erm, doesn't make quite enough use of their class time. is this true for you guys as well? do you find you get completely off-track during the lesson and then you have a whole heap to revise/learn at home? if not, our class should probably pull our socksies up ... but it's all so text based that it's so tempting to leave it all til later ...

also seems to be a common theme that we all hate unseens. do you guys find that practice is really the only way to improve on these?

have a good week of latin, kids!
(I do Latin at Steph's school, btw) No, we aren't too productive. We have oxen of wondrous beauty falling off waterfalls, naked young men at gay festivals, etc. etc. to distract us. And we're really, really talkative (all girls) so that obviously doesn't help.

Probably the worst of all: none of us have all that vocabulary memorised. So we continue to stuff up unseens. And yes, practice helps. Only to some extent though really. I actually find that revising grammar helps me best, but then I've never been good at keeping verb forms under wraps :)

LivC

HSC
hahaha that sounds all too familiar....we often talk about the white sow. We have also named our pencil cases after our favourites haha...mine is Lucretia, we also have Cacus, Clemens and Ufens

HSC
falcon07 said:
I received my ACL result today, I received gold along with 2 others :)
If it helps, 2 dropped from our class at the end of year 11.
My next Latin exam is in a week, Livy up to chapter 9 and Virgil up to 634, grammar, commentary, unseen. We're only about 30 lines from the end of Virgil, then we'll have to do Livy every lesson.

That's awesome!!!! Well done!!!! Were you surprised? :D We had about 4 drop outs at the end of yr11.

@Shmoo and Liv: HEHEHEHEHEHE as GwendyMarr/Sheepy said we are a very odd bunch indeed! Everything and I mean, everything is turned into a phallic symbol one way or the other and this has been going on for years! We love our military/sword jokes, our se exercet, and our non so warped theories that everyone was GAY! (and Canniballs stories) On top of that there's a lot of planning on going to Elysium and poking all these Livy, Virgil and Lucretius people! So basically we spend more time making dirty jokes a lot of the time than actually learning! We're a bunch of boys, seriously! (not a good thing when it comes to HSC). We also do a lot of bitching about Livy and about literal translations of things gerundives meaning stuff like "there was a need for Lucretia to be raped"...GRRRR our poor teacher!

Man this stupid thing won't email me with replies anymore! How annoying!

Anyway, yes we do all hate unseens I can imagine! We did our Virgil and Livy ones today...hahahah creative guessing I say! Plus they gave us vocab we knew and there were quite a few words we didn't know...we all SUCK at VOCAB...I mean who doesn't know pinus!?!?!?!? Sextus Erectus Pinus people?

We're starting Cicero tomorrow in Extension, am mildly excited!

But anyway, while I'm procrastinating here, I'm supposed to be studying for my Cont. on Friday... It's basically Virgil 190-600 and something and Livy Chapters 9,16 and 57!! Man I can so see me staying up all night tomorrow studying because I'm so dead now...hmm I might go read commentary notes before I go to bed!

AND...who's excited for "nerd" seminar at Santa Sabina next week? XDDDD Free day off school and close proximity to Newtown so I'm a very happy chappy! XD

I guess I be seeing you people around next week? o_O!

Happy Assessment Studying all! :D

HSC
What a shame, no replies in here for yonkies!

ANYWHOS, since Latin Study day was today and before I forget to ask in the future even though NO ONE comes in here!

What did everyone think of today!? What lectures did you go to? and Did you find them helpful!?

I personally found all of the lectures I went to helpful. I went (obviously) to the HSC Virgil and Livy and in the arvo I went to both the Extension lectures. I reckon I got a lot out of today, I really liked the philosophy lectures, especially the Cicero one!

And our last Latin assessment "bited arse"! XD
One passage we weren't told to study, grammar was sucky (been arguing over marks) and it was all generally sucky! >.<

falcon07

HSC
ok fine I'll reply Study day was pretty good, especially the lectures on unseens. I think I'll do a lot better in the trial nowthat I have a better idea on how to approach prose unseens. I don't think I got as much from the set text lectures because we had already covered a lot of the commentary points in class. Speaking of classes, we now have an additional 2 free periods because the extension class needs extra lessons to finish the course on time!

HSC
Woah! No way! That's really lucky!

Yeah that's like us with extension, we are pretty much behind sort of except we're on time for what we have to finish this term. I still have plenty of stuff to go through, especially with dreaded Lucretius. Cicero is really enjoyable and pretty simple...Lucretius should die though!

I liked the commentary lectures because commentary's my main sucky section so now I feel, I don't know, more interested in doing well perhaps?

What type of things were said in the unseen lectures???

Oh and our disasterous Latin assessment...we were supposed to be re-doing our Virgil grammar section today, but the lines prescribed for that were not ones we needed for our latest assessment and we had a year 12 trivia night last night and since it was over 150 lines none of us were too amused, but luckily we got out of it until Thursday because we have a top debater in our class who did the manipulating for us...head of classics is not amused, but anyway she's been giving us too much work for short periods time lately.

Woo latin rant, man that's sad!

And latin is placed in a shocking place on my trial timetable...that will not turn out well! Oh well 5 weeks to learn EVERYTHING!

falcon07

HSC
How was the test? I usually try and start learning the set texts a few weeks before the assessment so I can just spend the night before quickly reading the latin to make sure I know it all and going over commentary. The points in the unseen lectures were pretty much what was on the handouts. Dexter spent so much time explaining his points that he only managed to get through 1 line of his unseens, but the second line of unseen B really demonstrates what he was saying (it starts, has half a dozen subordinate clauses, then has the verb and rest of the sentnce). The prose lecture wasn't much new for me since my teacher was talking, but his main point was how scansion can help with your translation by identifying long a 1st declension ablative endings and telling the difference between -is (3rd decl sing gen) and -is (3rd decl plur acc).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)