Lat. Cont. and Lat. Ext.: HSC 2007 (1 Viewer)

HSC
I can't believe I'm saying this, but the grammar test was excellent! I bumped into my teacher who told me I got 9/10 and that no one got higher than that...I actually asked him if he was joking...and apparently he wasn't! That was after not actually knowing the translation properly and doing it contextually based on what words were there and the structure of sentences...man that must work!

I am a very "night before" kind of person. It's a terrible habit because I prioritise my work based on assessments and don't actually consistantly work on things in general (so even if I cram a few hours before the assessment I'm still screwed, and get comments like "not working to her full capability because she leaves stuff to the last minute. Blah blah blah!")...hence why I have 5 weeks to learn absolutely everything I've ever done before trials. I basically try to start learning things a couple of days before the actual assessment but the night before I'm up to ungodly hours stressing over all the stuff I should have done way before the night before.

Yay! I'm glad most of the stuff is in the notes. I looked through them and most of the stuff is things I've already been told/attempting to apply anyway. Yeah my ext. teacher is huge on scansion...I find it a big pain in the arse, but yeah it's very handy, but I also worked out with -is endings in our grammar yesterday that that type of stuff can also be worked out by the context.

I think one of the biggest issues with unseens (well especially for me and the rest of my cohort) is vocab. I hate vocab and no matter how hard I try I can't remember it all...that's where a reasonable knowledge of syntax gets you no where.

LivC

HSC
omg that's sooo true...we just had 2 unseens and they were shocking!! So you found the study day helpful?? SCEGGS doesn't allow us to go to any study days....sounds like the unseen tips would be of great help

HSC
No way! That's so unfair! Why won't they let you!? Surely it's a benefit to them as well as you! Man I thought my school's policies were unfair!

Yeah, I think the tips were helpful! Has your teacher/s given you any advice at all!?

LivC

HSC
yeah....well she said that she took notes..I'm not exactly sure what on though haha. I would like to have been able to go....the four of us at SCEGGS aren't exactly great at unseens...in part bc of the vocab haha....our teacher said that they are thinking about taking out "the chunky" (vocab) as she calls it....shame that hasn't happened for us!

anthropoestin

HSC
Hey I do Classical Greek too! I was wondering about putting up a post...but then again there's probs only about 15 of us in the state so its lucky i found one person anyway!

What unseens are you doing?? where are you up to in your set texts?? im doing it at SHORE in yr 11 - all alone! thoughts on eurip vs thucyd??

HSC
Aww, so they would only take out the chunky vocab for next year's lot!? That's not nice at all! Yeah it's like with grammar. There's no grammar in the classical greek exam and they're thinking about apparently axing grammar for latin...too bad we missed that too!!

Yeah that's why we sucketh at the unseens, our vocab is quite shocking. Our teachers are imposing vocab tests on us all the time because of how unamused they are, but meh I dunno if it's working!

I heard Grammar wasn't allowed on study day either, although their teacher lectured us in Virgil...

Trials will suck, haven't done much latin yet besides some unseens...>.<;;;;;;

HSC
D:
Trials. I've prepped the rest of Livy and Virgil and some Cicero but that's all the work I've done for Latin.

Hmm. Perhaps we should have thought about sending that 30th or so of the Grammar cohort the notes for the study day.

HSC
Yeah maybe! I admire you for all the prep you did because it'll really help you...I admire your patience and regret not doing the same!

Oh well too late! In my two frees I'll probably do some crash learning of translations...yay! I may do some reading before bed though!

Man I hate studying for trials...if there was no comment I'd be happy! Anything but comment! Throw as many unseens and grammar sections at you want at me but no comment! T_T

roadrage75

HSC
TheLadyDisdain said:
Yeah maybe! I admire you for all the prep you did because it'll really help you...I admire your patience and regret not doing the same!

Oh well too late! In my two frees I'll probably do some crash learning of translations...yay! I may do some reading before bed though!

Man I hate studying for trials...if there was no comment I'd be happy! Anything but comment! Throw as many unseens and grammar sections at you want at me but no comment! T_T
yes! comment ruins it all...... 40% for some worthless stuff about history.... way to go board of studies.... i mean, i've always thought latin was about translating the text.... i reckon culture should be scrapped and replaced with unseens!

falcon07

HSC
Sorry guys, I actually like commentary. I think it's easy marks if you know how to expand on a few key concepts. Much better than dodgy grammar multiple choice.

HSC
I do enjoy the historical side of what we do highly but I just don't want to have to regurgitate it in any shape or form because it is too English like and I hate anything English related...despite already doing 3 units of it...XD

My friend gave me really good advice for commentary though, which is brilliant because our ext teacher especially is a comment nazi.

I was perfectly happy back in the days of Quintus when it was here's your nice easy translation, here's your nice easy grammar and here's your nice n easy unseen...that's it!

But YAY! Finally someone who hates commentary just as much as me! I am very relieved to know I am not alone...and sadly enough I would probably rather do more unseens then comment...>.<

The only reason why I like multiple choice grammar lately is because I did well in the last one I did...maybe because it was easier than normal but it was still an awesome mark.

Everyone ready for trials yet!? x.x

Fakhri

HSC
hey,

well i am here steph...

I absoultely love commentry...love love love...cause it is really easy marks...really easy...all i do is learn the commentry in the yellow book that we use and the stuff from williams and everything falls in place...

so i say no more grammar multiple choice...cause multiple choice is against me....

basically, i am not as smart as a chicken...cause apparently they have a 25% chance of getting it right and i have about a 2%...cause the multiple choice just confuses me...i like it when they ask us straight questions..no confusion..

Just to add...i hate unseens as well..except homer unseens in greek and virgil is becoming alright...but not my best aspect...

And...since i am on this site...like two days before english trials..i would say no i am not ready for trials..nor am i ready for english...sucks...sucks...sucks..

BTW i hate english..everything about it.....all of it

Well...that was just a mean rant

oh well....

HSC
Trials in general just suck.

The only thing I hate about Latin/Greek trials is that they are so stressful to study for.

Commentary stresses me out because it's mass memorising of info...I'd rather just have to worry about mass learning translations. Plus my mind doesn't retain ancient history as much as modern history. Crappy excuse but close enough.

I am process of elimination Queen, that's why I like mulitiple choice grammar...plus it's nothing to do with comment that generally helps...and I don't have to study that hard because it's more just knowing the translations and applying knowledge of grammar based on that. May sound confusing the way I've said it but I generally don't get confused with grammar.

So much stuff to retain. I have no idea how people manage to do it.

Meh. I gotta eat something, get over my headache and do some maths for tomorrow. How joyous.

roadrage75

HSC
yea..... commentary does suck!

the only thing good about it is the fact that, especially in latin ext, the questions are so predictable.... like between Lucretius and Cicero, the question is usually pretty much the same.....

annnnyway.... latin 3 unit exam is finally done! YEY

but two unit is still left to do.... :(

anyone here thinking of doing a latin course at uni btw?

HSC
You're very lucky then!

Our Continuers is on Tuesday and our Extension is next Thursday. I'm far from prepared it's so bad!

Um, I don't know, if I ever do a combined arts degree I may consider it, but I'd probably do Greek...I don't know if you could do both then yeah Latin and Greek.

You?

And what school are you at?

Fakhri

HSC
Sorry still love commentry...and its not like ancient stuff cause i hate ancient..well currently...

as steph said you are lucky you have finished ext latin exam..i only just finished ad english today and have another like 5 exams to go..

How was the ext paper???
What did your essay thing involve?? Like was it a comparison or just on one text???

well good luck for the rest of the exams

HSC
Here's a story from X-treme Latin to make everyone feel better:

Narratiuncula

Puellae filiae pulchrae sunt.

Puellae nautas in via spectant.

Nautae pulchri sunt.

Puellae nautas salutant.

O malam fortunam! Nautae male mares sunt!

Nautae ad puellas digitos impudicos porrigunt.

Puellas nautas appellant.

"Speramus naviculam misellam vestram ad scopulum adlisam summersum"

Puellae in forum descendere destinant et ibi mercimonium furari.

Omnes paucis annis prosedae erunt.

###

Have fun with that and how are people studying for commentary!?

Thanks!

roadrage75

HSC
To steph (I'm taking that's your name :) ):

yes, my continuers is on tuesday as well..... good old Virgil and Livy... and the sows..... anyway.... yea, i might do Latin at uni, i dn, i havent really decided yet....
and yea, i'm at Sydney Grammar School.... you?

To Fakhri: ahh lol, well i've only got 3 exams left..... ext paper was quite reasonable.... the essay thing was basically asking about how Lucretius and CIcero use language to communicate their beliefs -- but, surprsingly, it wasnt a comparison...

good luck to you both! :)

HSC
Yesh that is my name! XD

Yeah, like Classics is a good option to gain credit I suppose, in case you need to do really well to transfer. It's an excellent arts option. I'm just hoping I can do combined International Studies/Arts.

OO Grammar!? Awesome! I have a lot of respect for your school! Funny that we happen to be talking to one of your fellow cohort members in the Greek thread, Nicholas.

I'm at PLC Pymble...D: D: D:

That's good! How did you prepare for commentary!?

Thanks! Good luck with the rest of your trials too!

roadrage75

HSC
yey! lol

yes, i think its a good option, so yea.... ahh yes Mr Gumby, lol, he's in my Latin class.... and PLC pymble, that's a pretty good place right?

for my commentary for Extension Latin? I basically looked through notes on the characteristics of the two writers, and learnt firstly what their views were and what their views meant - (like Stoic vs Epicurean for example), and the different ways in which they presented them. (eg poetry versus prose)....

so yea, i hope that helps.... as far as 2 unit is concerned, i mainly try to remember the context of things (that is, the sequence of events), as well as the characters names and who they are and what they do etc.....

so yea!
what about you!?

yep, i hope everything's working out for you too!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)