last samurai! seen it? (1 Viewer)

Iunny

I loved the Last Samurai.

I don't think the widow totally forgived him, but she fell in love and etc etc

I'm not surprised the main samurai guy knows english since he wants to "know his enemy" and plus, its not flawless english so i think its quite acceptable. Not to mention a lot of people would be turned off if most of it was in subtitles. I was quite annoyed how the Emperor didn't know any english though apart from a few words, i mean... he IS the Emperor, he should be well educated in ALL areas.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
emperors are not chosen by their age
and i bet you wouldn't expect the english queen to speak in japanese hey?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Toodulu
and i bet you wouldn't expect the english queen to speak in japanese hey?
If she wants to become queen via birth rights she should have to learn all major languages (ie those with over 20 million speaking them) so as not to waste more money on translators.

Takuya

Banned
A blazing inferno of blood and despair...
Originally posted by Farnarcle
!!!SPOILERS!!!

Yes, Cruise waas very weird for the moive. Almost every shot he was in is him playing with the camera trying to look cool and contemplatative. He just doesn't fit if you really think about it.

However, he fits nicely into the plot if you don't consider his past movies and/or whatever you may think of him. A friend and I were trying to figure out who would have done better. We had real trouble. At the time I brought up the fact that comtemplatative roles are hard to fill. I mean, look at the Matrix. Reeves did a good job, but he still didn't fit that aspect of the role.

We still came to the conclusion that Chow Yung Fat did a great job. And Billy Connely's role was also quite good for a laugh. (He talks funny, hehe).

I didn't think I'd like it but it was one of the best movies I've seen all year. It speaks of the corruption of the Western civilisatin on such a balenced culture. It is an awful shame that it is now lost. That really hit the spot for me. Plus the parts about honour and death were also enlightening.
SINCE WHEN WAS CHOW YUN FAT IN THE MOVIE?!@? FOOL THAT'S WATANABE!

I don't like Watanabe anyway. He's slowly creeping his way onto my shit list of actors which includes the likes of RIKI TAKEUCHI (the fat ham-bone), etc.

Unfortunately none of what was in the movie actually happened in Japanese history.

Farnarcle

Originally posted by Takuya
SINCE WHEN WAS CHOW YUN FAT IN THE MOVIE?!@? FOOL THAT'S WATANABE!

I don't like Watanabe anyway. He's slowly creeping his way onto my shit list of actors which includes the likes of RIKI TAKEUCHI (the fat ham-bone), etc.

Unfortunately none of what was in the movie actually happened in Japanese history.
My my, you do seem hostile today.

Collin

HSC
N/A
That was quite possibly the best movie I've seen for awhile now. Personally, I enjoyed it more than The Return Of The King. (Please, no death threats thanks).

The movie wasn't anywhere near as Americanized as I originally anticipated. I was so used to crappy Hollywood stables that bias was immediately formed subconsciously when I first heard about it *cough*Pearl Harbour*cough*.

I was quite impressed by the cinematography utilized in the majority of the film, and once again Han Zimmer offered a stunning score.

I can't wait till this one hits the DVDs.

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
*agreeed
LOTR return of the kings wasnt as great as i thought it would be. probs becauses i had great/high expectations abt it all.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Last Samurai was an epic on a higher level to LOTR for me because it provided character depth which LOTR seriously lacked. Also the theme was something that I could care about (the assimilation of Jap culture that is, not the rubbish on Cruise's character's past), because it's more rooted in reality than LOTR. Having just bagged LOTR, I still think it's a pretty good movie, just not as good as everyone says it is

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
LOL
first to movies were great, just that the last one lack alota character exploration because it deals with the fighting scene rather than their journey.

confession: nearly fell asleep in LOTR =x

v sia

HSC
Last Samurai

i know this movie is quite old , but i just recently watched it on DVD 2-3 times and my honestly the ending blew big time .

The intro and body of the movie was perfect .... but the ending battle was just dispicable. At one point in the battle they had 1000 soldiers cornered , no way of escaping and what does the samurai do ??? they shoot only 2 arrows each ... why not bloody all 10 or so ??

Whats worse is when it came to hand to hand combat , some of the soldiers with their little knives at the end of their rfiles actually managed to kill samurai hand to hand combat , like come on thats what they've been training for their whole life and to lose to a farmer . Well anyway yeah thats just my opinion , i just finished watchign last samurai a few hours ago and i had to say it .

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
like how tom cruise was all rambo in the first battle and then couldnt land a blow until near the end of the movie...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)