Laptops (1 Viewer)

_deloso

HSC
any suggestions on fast, reliable and portable laptops?
Thinking of buying either the macbook air 13" or the macbook pro 13"
can anyone tell me about these products if you personally own them?
and if there are better laptops that you own then tell me about them too... I don't mind biased comments.

tutorsaustblog

HSC
Have look at Dell...good value and large variety. I have a Dell Vostro, use it every day and have had it for 1.5 years.

Garygaz

HSC
asus do solid shiz. ebay will also save you another 20% over buying from a retailer.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Moved to IT.

I'm pondering the same thing. At the moment leaning towards a Macbook Air 13"

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
MacBook is redundant now (discontinued, even) - MBP 13" is only what? $200 more than the MacBook? It'd be idiotic to get the MacBook.

MacBook Air is fine if you don't plan on ever having more than one USB device plugged in at a time (Mac notoriously doesn't quite agree with dongles) or never plan on watching a DVD or burning CD's (The Air doesn't have an Optical/CD/DVD drive). Plus wired networking is not an option with the air as it doesn't have an ethernet port (though, I assume you wouldn't care too much about this).

Oh, and stunted processor speed etc. compared to the MBP - for a higher price. We all know Apple's expensive as shit - why increase the amount you pay for less features? If you say, 'but the Air is lighter and smaller and easier to carry'... Boo-hoo. Grow muscles? And stop whining?

Basically, I hate the Air :p.

Personally, if you're going to go Mac - go Pro. It's called the 'Pro' for a reason.

Last edited:

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
MacBook is redundant now (discontinued, even) - MBP 13" is only what? $200 more than the MacBook? It'd be idiotic to get the MacBook.

MacBook Air is fine if you don't plan on ever having more than one USB device plugged in at a time (Mac notoriously doesn't quite agree with dongles) or never plan on watching a DVD or burning CD's (The Air doesn't have an Optical/CD/DVD drive). Plus wired networking is not an option with the air as it doesn't have an ethernet port (though, I assume you wouldn't care too much about this).

Oh, and stunted processor speed etc. compared to the MBP - for a higher price. We all know Apple's expensive as shit - why increase the amount you pay for less features? If you say, 'but the Air is lighter and smaller and easier to carry'... Boo-hoo. Grow muscles? And stop whining?

Basically, I hate the Air :p.

Personally, if you're going to go Mac - go Pro. It's called the 'Pro' for a reason.
amen.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Get something that doesn't involve you taking penis up the bum(AKA not a Mac)

Go for Asus, Toshiba or Lenovo.

HSC
Uni Grad
If you have the cash mac is fine, but really if you're just using it for uni you could probs get Toshiba/Asus/whatever else for like $400-$500 that does everything you want and more anyway.

timinator1993

HSC
Techie here, no idea if your still looking, but stay away from these brands: Acer, dell, lenovo(low end), HP. WE CONSTANTLY get these laptops in for hardware failures.
Stick with Asus, toshiba, sony and samsung. ALl made from great quality parts. Go to binglee and hammer out a deal.
aim for the 1k mark and you'll get something VERY decent.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Techie here, no idea if your still looking, but stay away from these brands: Acer, dell, lenovo(low end), HP. WE CONSTANTLY get these laptops in for hardware failures.
Stick with Asus, toshiba, sony and samsung. ALl made from great quality parts. Go to binglee and hammer out a deal.
aim for the 1k mark and you'll get something VERY decent.
Wtf, Sony is shit and as overpriced as Macs.

or

OR

get a quality machine

ie

A mac
Sure, I'll pay an extra $400 for an inferior product that will also burn my junk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)