• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Laptops for Uni (1 Viewer)

How often do you use a laptop at Uni?

• I do use a laptop often at Uni

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I use a laptop sometimes at Uni

Votes: 22 28.2%
  • I hardly ever use a laptop at Uni

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • I don’t use a laptop at Uni

Votes: 18 23.1%

• Total voters

Lainee

HSC
Wooz said:

I got my beaut LG tablet for $2200 and it's working lovely so far. I highly recommend it. It's <2kg, so no more carrying around bulking textbooks and pens and paper for me.

If you end up getting a tablet, get a convertible rather than a slate. I've been typing most of the time but I can just as easily draw a diagram on the screen or scribble asides. The only setback is ppl gawking at you and thinking 'Why is she writing on the screen?' Which may or may not be a setback anyway depending on whether you enjoy the attention. :p

And OneNote is really sweet, but when the trial period expired I tried using GoBinder which took too long to load when you've got lots of docs in it. Resorted to using Journal (shipped with the machine) which loads faster and the ink is smoother. And I just organise using the old-school way -> with folders and sub-folders.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
just find a 'workaround' for OneNote.
I bought by COmpaq laptop for $1100 or so from officeworks during a sale a year ago. Best buy ever :)

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
YES! Officeworks has one on sale now. its $999 but $799 after $200 cashback. It weighs 2.4kg and its a compaq one. The specs, if you're using it purely for assignments etc, are pretty decent as well. I think its 1.6GHz, 256MB Ram and 40GB.

I prefer exercise books and loose leaf though.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Just lug your desktop along, find a socket near the back, and use the wireless net to download while you're there.

antarctic

HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
I'm thinking of buying a laptop for uni, but I have a few questions:

1. Is it common for students to use laptops during lectures?
2. Does it make note-taking easier or faster?
3. Is it a pain in the ass to carry around?

Thank you. :)
1. It'll depend on the type of subject, but generally, no.
2. That'll depend on your typing speed. Also keep in mind that in uni (as with other places) there's no need to take verbatim notes. There's always lecture notes (if your lecturer is nice) and textbooks. So far, I've found pen and paper to be sufficient (especially as I do subjects where a picture is sometimes worth more than 1000 words)
3. Again, it depends, on what laptop you buy. I sometimes carry around a 2.8kg laptop, and find it a pain. However, 2.8kg is towards the heavier end of the laptop spectrum. Also, keep in mind that you'll probably also want to carry around a charging cable and transformer. However, something like a small Vaio should be alot less of a pain to carry around.

Some other things to keep in mind:

1. A laptop is invaluable if you're doing a programming course. That way, you get to use whatever IDEs you want, instead of the (usually) limited selection that are avaliable on the uni network. If you've got no idea what I'm talking about, please skip onto #2.
2. At times (especially lunch hour), computer access labs can get quite full, and queues quite long. A laptop becomes quite useful then (unless you want to print something. One day they'll invent a portable printer and the world shall rejoice)
3. Unis (at least USyd) have a wireless intranet, and offer internet access via wireless, and this can be quite useful (refer to point 2).

Regards

Antarctic

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
just wondering then- what do people recommend for students studying Commerce? I'm not sure if there will be many diagrams in uni for this course (UNSW B Comm). Laptop or no laptop? loose leaf paper or exercise book? Everyone told me to use LLP in HSC but I hate it because me being me- i tend to lose them.

Btw doesn't Canon have a portable printer? I remember seeing a TV add not that long ago of a guy printing something in a taxi? or something like that...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
it depends what you're studying in commerce. I would think with more numerical subjects like Accounting, 'Econometrics -quantitative methods', etc a laptop wouldn't do you any good. However, it'd be good to have a laptop for more theory based subjects such as early year Eco.

I use my laptop for psychology, international business, government, political economy, marketing, IR/HRM. All my subjects aren't maths based so it works for me

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
stazi said:
just find a 'workaround' for OneNote.
I bought by COmpaq laptop for $1100 or so from officeworks during a sale a year ago. Best buy ever :)
How big/heavy is it?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
it has a pretty large monitor for a laptop. Don't know how much it weighs. I'm bad at those things. a few kg perhaps? Pretty light for me.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I know budget is a big concern, but so should your comfort. Anything above 2.5kg is going to be a bitch to carry around for three years, so it's a good idea to look at lighter laptops, Especially if you already have a desktop computer at home.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
stazi said:
it depends what you're studying in commerce. I would think with more numerical subjects like Accounting, 'Econometrics -quantitative methods', etc a laptop wouldn't do you any good. However, it'd be good to have a laptop for more theory based subjects such as early year Eco.

I use my laptop for psychology, international business, government, political economy, marketing, IR/HRM. All my subjects aren't maths based so it works for me
Ahhh I'm glad you said that- it means I don't have to carry a laptop to uni (it's a 1.5 hr journey each way- bus/train/bus).

Btw I guess you weren't kidding when you said;
stazi said:
2) I' helpful in the uni forums.
I'm planning to do Business Law as a comajor so I'm guessing that has a lot of writing... maybe I'll consider buying another laptop (ie. a small one) closer to the day.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
seremify007 said:
Ahhh I'm glad you said that- it means I don't have to carry a laptop to uni (it's a 1.5 hr journey each way- bus/train/bus).

Btw I guess you weren't kidding when you said;

I'm planning to do Business Law as a comajor so I'm guessing that has a lot of writing... maybe I'll consider buying another laptop (ie. a small one) closer to the day.
Even if it's 1.5hrs it's not that much of an inconvenience. I mean I'm very scrawny and even so I have no trouble lifting an amazingly heavy 2.5kg weight. Along with a bag full of textbooks.
Everyone can do very well w/out a laptop but I think that my marks have actually improved thanks to my laptop.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
laptops are good for assisgnments/presentations that get you top marks

but i think i made the wrong decision to buy a laptop.

SweetSeasons

HSC
My parents got me a laptop without even asking me if I wanted one... I don't use it because it doesn't have the net on it and I do most of my research for assignments on the net so yeah... I get yelled at for not using my laptop when I didn't even ask for it

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I bought my laptop because I needed excel for stat. I wasnt exactly overjoyed at the prospect of buying a laptop, but I'm so, so glad I have it now.

The only time I take mine to uni is when:

1. I have a few hours gap between classes and have work to do
2. During exams to study

I think though that its only worthwhile having a laptop if you dont have access to a perfectly good one at home/dorm/etc, and if your uni has a wireless connection (which I'm sure most do).

Tabris

HSC
If u bring your laptop to Macq (provided it has a wireless card), just sit down under the grass and watch the ducks stroll by while typing up notes or work.

its very useful because u dont need to sit down in front of any other computer in the campus (unless its COMP or ISYS stuff), just access the free wireless network, and do "your research". Its better than some selfish student browsing some foreign sites while u wait for them or walking around a campus looking for a free computer.

However, its not very convenient in lectures and may cause alot of potential problems. FIrstly, the area is cramped and thye desk is too small. the desk hinges feel like they get oiled every day and can slip completly if u bump into it causing your laptop and your stuff fall down onto the ground! Some people bring it so they dont have to print PPT slides, but best play it safe.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Just out of interest, is there much laptop theft in uni? Or is there a place to put your laptop down say if you need to go take a wizz or something?

Btw, SweetSeasons- assuming your laptop doesn't have wifi or your uni campus doesn't have wifi internet available, you can buy a wireless internet card for your notebook which allow you to have internet access in most areas at any time. Of course this confines you to paying premiums for their service and the download speeds aren't as flash hot as a fixed line installation; but it'll be faster than dialup, and it'll work. Check out companies like iBurst, Unwired, Bigpond, etc...

Generator

HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
Just out of interest, is there much laptop theft in uni? Or is there a place to put your laptop down say if you need to go take a wizz or
Ah, just swing it over your shoulder? In other words, don't leave your laptop unattended, no matter the circumstances (unless it's cable-locked to a desk within a locked room, that is, but even then that may be pushing it in some circumstances).

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
i purchased a laptop for uni, however i doubt i will attempt to use it in lectures. Note taking by pen and paper (for me at least) i have found to be much faster and flexible than using a computer. The main issue is formatting things on a computer and the time it takes. i.e i wanted to draw an arrow linking two things, it would be much easier to do on paper. And you dont want to fall behind in taking notes, because then you;ll miss important information.

I will hoever use it on campus to avoid having to find a computer, it just provides more flexibility. I plan to transfer all my lecture notes from paper to computer AFTER the lectures (and that helps with revision as well)

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
Phanatical said:
If I hate the class, I'll purposely sit closer to the front and play games or surf the net. I wrote some of my best Quah Reports in Gender Studies lectures.
And still no one reads them :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)