Kpmg (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
seremify007 said:
Sounds like audit would be a good starting point for you :). The work, is interesting because you get to read interesting things (assuming you're in a division you are interested in- eg. entertainment or army), and it's quite straightforward- but there is A LOT of interaction/communication with both clients and your team as you try to find out why there are discrepancies/anomalities in their financial data.... you also get to hear some pretty interesting stories as to why something is wrong. I'm yet to come across a "I have no idea"!
You're lucky - the client I'm at this week is quite small, and there are so many little problems with certain accounts but the chief accountant has absolutely no idea...apparently they even lost their folder with all of this year's bank reconcilliations...my senior manager even told us "omg how is this company listed??"

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
LOL It's listed?!!... wow. I have to admit I've had a pretty good time with my jobs so far and the people are very helpful. I'm also surprised noone (yet) has told the auditors off for asking too many Q's!

odee

HSC
there seemed 2 be more than 40 ppl at the underoffer night? maby they factor in drop rates.

im in mma

SkyScout

HSC
Yo ODEE!!!

KPMG thread has to fire up again man!!!!

hahaha!!

Kiran...

Last edited:

ihgjuk

HSC
did you guys get an email from them recently? about the thing in melbourne?
I filled in the form then when i went to sned it, it couldnt find the web page..

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I smell NGI...

... on a sidenote, back to the topic of food, I've come to realise you get much better food when you're actually working in the firm.

turtleface

HSC
lol NGI what a booze fest

free food, free accomodation/travel, free entertainment, free alcohol

lol

SkyScout

HSC
Haha turtleface... Are you at KPMG as well? Which uni are u at? How do U find it?

monzi

HSC
My friend just quit at KPMG, he hated it apparently, he was on a full time salary $50K whilst studying at night at uni. He recons that the pay is crap, with the amount of work and long hours they make you do. So he quit to join his brother's IT Business whilst completing his degree. He calls himself 'Paper Pushing Employee' LOL, so he quit.

His also convinced that because his middle eastern he'll never be promoted to partner level in the future.

ihgjuk

HSC
KPMG is a global network of professional firms providing Audit, Tax, and Advisory services. We operate in 144 countries and have more than 104,000 professionals working in member firms around the world.

Our purpose is to turn knowledge into value for the benefit of our clients, our people, and the capital markets. Our member firms aim to provide clients with a globally consistent set of multidisciplinary financial and accounting services, based on deep industry knowledge.

Our values determine how we behave, with clients and each other. They define what we stand for and how we do things, helping us to work together in the most effective and fulfilling way. This enables us to create a strong organizational culture—consistently—throughout the network.

We play an important role in the capital markets, and are highly active in supporting positive reform within our industry to strengthen credibility and confidence. We believe corporate social responsibility is at the heart of all great organizations, and are committed to making a real difference to the communities in which we operate.

google is your friend.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Enjoy the long hours without overtime pay, my friends.

turtleface

HSC
SkyScout said:
Haha turtleface... Are you at KPMG as well? Which uni are u at? How do U find it?
oops sorry never saw this. I'm at Melbourne uni, I really like KPMG but I haven't got experience with the other big 4 to compare it against.

The melbourne office is really brand spanking new at the moment and I know some really good people in it.

toffee123

HSC
so guys now that we've got our uais, which unis are we all going to? i'll prolli be at unsw, if only it werent so far...

Bendent

HSC
so do we have to be in our second last years of commerce degree at uni to sign up for a vacational program?

xclo

HSC
just wondering the same thing, are cadetships taken up before uni begins or when ur a few years into uni? also, are their cadetships for finance since most that i know are accounting? and finally, how much is the workload (is it possible to do a cooperative + cadetship), how much pay and work experience do u get?

toffee123

HSC
Most cadetships are offered to school leavers, but i've heard you can apply during uni. So for me i'll be working full time and studying part time for 1st & 2nd year uni. I dont think any cadetships are offered for finance, theres only the UNSW coop available. You are not allowed to take a cadetship and a coop, theyre mutually exclusive. A cadetship involves you applying thru an accouting firm, and then undertaking employment while completing your uni degree. In a coop, you apply thru the uni and gain work experience with at least 2 companies (not limitied to accounting firms). The workload for both is pretty heavy, however i believe its more for coops as i think you have to maintain good results to keep getting the scholarship? (not sure about this) whereas cadets only have to maintain passes, work is more important.
Coops get a $13k pa scholarship, and also get paid for any work placements they do. Cadets receive a salary of around $28k + corporate benefits. it probably ends up working out about the same.
For both you gain valuable work experience. Coops are advantaged in that they arent restricted to just one accounting firm, you get awesome experience at other companies as well (they get at least 2 6 month work placements). Cadets work full time for the firm for 2 years, work part time for the next 2 and then are offered employment at the completion of their degree, theyre good if you have aspirations for higher management positions in an accounting firm

xclo

HSC
thanks a lot toffee123, so when u said it was impossible to do both, did u mean timewise (like it'd just be impossible to have the time to do both) or that the sponsors and companies don't allow it. i was thinking about trying an actuarial coop at unsw. since i was also going to double major in finance, i thought it would be pretty interesting to gain a one year work experience for finance in my second year just to get some practical insight into the finance industry. i guess i could substitute finance with accounting, but is it alright to get the cadetship then since the coop will be with actuarial. i guess it'd be pretty hectic but it'll just be for one year for the work experience, would i have enough time?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)