Knocking off Ruse (1 Viewer)

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
My school usually gets between 20-30 UAI's over 90? Something like that. We didn't get a single 99 in 2005 I think... Oh wells, 2006 Pats Fairfield will come back :)

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Bookie said:
Youve got 22 students. Imagine if 15 of you got band 6s for everything. Youd be first in the stae with a 75% ish rate. Personally I think its stupid how they use percentages to figure out whos first (although I suppose theres little other way) - but schools like PLC are getting cut so bad becuase they have so many more in quantity, while one of those little independent scholls with 3 guys comes like 3rd. There has to be a slightly better way. Median UAI perhaps? James Ruse would kick everyone then I suppose. Oh well, rant finished.
I think we may have 2-3 get band 6's for everything - no chance for 15. But hey, last year we had 6 out of 27 get 90+ UAIs, with 2-3 getting band six in just about everything. That's the best we've ever done. With smaller schools, you have to count the fact that there'll be fewer band six kids, unless the year is really, really extraordinary. Even though the class is smaller, you still get the mix.

I_F

Riviet

HSC
N/A
mitsui said:
haha sorri to disappoint pplz
but this yr's JR is juz as good. (i am not in it. ><..but can obviously tell from...knowing them)
How many of them do know yourself? Other than william, who most of us know. XD

Last edited:

A l

HSC
N/A
Before James Ruse Agricultural High School took the crown, I think it was Sydney Grammar School that was on top until 1996. However, back then, the way the ranks were calculated were different to the way they are calculated today. I think before the new HSC in 2001, the ranks were calculated by the percentage of the school's students in the top 5000 list or something like that.

You must realise that the number of distinguished achievers achieved by the James Ruse Agricultural High School cohort every year is very high, because it is a combination of the current Year 12 distinguished achievers as well as the many distinguished achievers from accelerated students. The distinguished achievers percentage is very high for accelerated students because most of them are especially talented enough to score a band 6 in a course they wish to accelerate and are allowed the option to accelerate as many courses as they like to add the the school's already high number of distinguished achievers, provided that they have taken appropriate measures.
Also, as long as the school keeps its reputation at the top, more and more top students are willing to go there as a result.
If you want an idea of how well the school does and what you're up against, here's some statistics from 2004 and this is something that other schools may have to achieve to overtake the James Ruse Agricultural High School's throne:
HSC 2004:
- Median UAI: 99.50
- 8 students scored a UAI of 100.00
- 813 student results with marks of 90% or higher in a subject
- 73 students scored 90% in 10 or more units
- Students in 1st place in Biology, Mathematics Extension 2, Agriculture (achieved by a Year 11 student) and Cosmology Distinction Course (achieved by a Year 11 student)
- Percentage of Distinguished Achievers in main subjects (i.e. the percentage of the whole grade in the school who took that subject and scored band 6):
* English (Advanced) – 67%
* English Extension 1 – 58%
* English Extension 2 – 59%
* Mathematics – 81%
* Mathematics Extension 1 – 93%
* Mathematics Extension 2 – 89%
* Chemistry – 72%
* Physics – 80%
* Biology – 76%
* Agriculture – 65%
* Economics – 54%
* Ancient History – 41%
* Modern History – 59%
* Information Processes and Technology – 70%
* Software Design and Development – 42%
* PD/H/PE – 55%
* Geography – 44%
* Drama – 17%
* Visual Arts – 50%
* Japanese Beginners – 100%
* Japanese Continuers – 100%
* Japanese Extension – 100%
By the looks of the results above, the only way James Ruse Agricultural High School can be beaten is most likely by the downfall of the school itself and I think it is unlikely that it will come from a massive improvement from other schools.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
Riviet said:
How many of them do know yourself? Other than william, who most of us know. XD
ahahaha sorri to william
but he is like.. nothin compare to the others
dont think he was realli into the studying things thou

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Bookie said:
I meant knocking Ruse off.

its been years (someone tell me when they last were not HSC winnarz).

There was a thread like this is the Year 11 forum. One like this in the school thread. But now, 2006ers, we must generally discuss this in the HSC forum. In saying that, someone, be it Hornsby Girls or North Sydney or us High boys ourselves, please knock these turds off.

Discuss.
It's about the 5000th time ive seen a thread with this topic.
In 2005, they beat by HGHS by 15% (DA). That's a huge gap considering that the gap between consectively ranked schools is less than 1%.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
A_1 where did you get these stats from?

Our school beat them in ext 2 english and drama.

omar273

Oscarwatcher
HSC
Since ruse has the elusive number one ranking, parents of the smartest year 6 kids will send them there. Plus, they reinforce their students by poaching the best 15 students from other selective high schools, so i think ruse will be on top for a long time to come.

oh and SBHS in my opinion has little to zero chance of ever topping, take it from me.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
omar273 said:
Since ruse has the elusive number one ranking, parents of the smartest year 6 kids will send them there. Plus, they reinforce their students by poaching the best 15 students from other selective high schools, so i think ruse will be on top for a long time to come.

oh and SBHS in my opinion has little to zero chance of ever topping, take it from me.
SBHS steals the top students from selective schools too.

vizman

HSC
true. but the top top students will always aspire to go to ruse

Bookie

Banned
HSC
smart dunce said:
SBHS steals the top students from selective schools too.
We do not. They come to us. The only people we 'steal' would be sports orientated. Yes we have a couple of techies, and a couple of sefton boys, but most of themare from randwick and waverly, so dont go meaking assumptions. Also, Ruse only takes those who apply to go there in 11 and 12, not the best. The guys who left for Ruse in my grade werent that special really, and would have ranked around 90th - 100th at High (agreed fellow Highboys?), and not necessarily near the top.

vizman said:
true. but the top top students will always aspire to go to ruse
No, the asian forced students want to go to Ruse. I did not want to go to Ruse, and I could have made it easy. My friend whitecomet on the last page didnt want to go to Ruse, he could have made it easy. Omar, who got 99.90 at High didnt go to Ruse, becuase he didnt 'aspire' to. Stop making shitty assumptions.

omar273

Oscarwatcher
HSC
Maybe i'm being a little harsh about high. It's just that we have such great students at the top, but the bottom kind of lets us down.

But hey, I'm proud of having studied there. Even if I was offered a place to Ruse, I wouldn't take it, nor do I think that I would've received my UAI if I had gone to any other school.

But still, it will be a long time if ever when ruse will be knocked off.
My prediction: Baulko

A l

HSC
N/A
Would you like me to post similar statistics from Sydney Boys High School (2004) and Sydney Girls High School (2003)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)