KING LEAR ASSESSMENT how are themes relevant to today's society. (1 Viewer)

spackness

HSC
Hey ppl, could some of you faburolises out there please help me on my assessment or just suggest some links...that would be good...................o right the assessment outline ...might be helpful...
Choose an aspect of King Lear that has significantly influenced your response to the text.
This aspect may be:
- an issue, theme or topic dealt with in the text
- an attitude, belief or value(s) reflected in the text
You should:
- explain how this aspect of the text is relevant to your own social, cultural and/ or historical context.
- demonstrate through close analysis of the text how this aspect is dealt with in the text
- comment on how your interpretation and valuing of the text as a whole has been influenced by your response to this particular aspect.

I will appreciate any suggestions you have. Thanks. spackness
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
well, off the top of my head, you might consider:
* feminism: play shows influence of the partiarchy on women and how women's lust is considered the centre of corruption and greed; could talk about how goneril and regan show they are more capable leaders than lear, how modern women can relate to feelings of oppression still in leadership capacities etc.
* age critique: issue of parents/children and inheritance, how should fortunes be divided, who should look after parents, when does the switch between carer and child switch etc.
* domestic: this is an obvious one to do: play quite clearly shows the breakdown of the nuclear family unit and the rammifications of this, very easy to relate to modern times with divorce rate, single parent families etc.
* christian: also probably a fairly easy reading to look at - values associated with christianity and how these are seen in the play, easy to show correlation with modern religion
* look at comparisons between the breakup of the state in "Lear" and modern parallels like Bosnia and Croatia

just some quick ideas, hope any were helpful

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Choose an aspect of King Lear that has significantly influenced your response to the text.
- an issue, theme or topic dealt with in the text
- an attitude, belief or value(s) reflected in the text
You should:
- explain how this aspect of the text is relevant to your own social, cultural and/ or historical context.
- demonstrate through close analysis of the text how this aspect is dealt with in the text
- comment on how your interpretation and valuing of the text as a whole has been influenced by your response to this particular aspect.
Well, a good approach, perhaps the best way is by discussing the issue (don't use the word themes, for teachers dont like it) --> how this issue is portrayed through the interpretation --> perhaps try and link it with a production of that reading/interpretation, then add in your techniques if you didn't attach a production with it, then wrap it with quotes as well, using the SEXY thing.

So.. you can just say, King Lear, despite its age, complexity and ambiguity of being a dramatic play, its capability of transcending the "universal...timeless" issues of <your issues/themes here> through the diverse time periods has progressively led to the formation of critical viewpoints; ranging from (i.e.) a.c. bradley's portrayal of lear being one whom.... to Dollimore's new historicist theory.

However, recently, teachers really like people using values such as societal values, combined with issues which creates the interpretation in King Lear. But a theme--> interpretation --> represented by production (then the techniques and quotes) will do really good for your assessment.

Anyhow, good luck..

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
hahaa, yeah the sexy thing..

S -Statement
E -Evidence
X -Explanation
Y - Y? Why is this relevant, so link back to the topic sentence, and if possible create a possible to the next issue you are about to introduce.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
aah, that makes sense. im not surprised that no1 tried to teach me that though - i always end up remembering things like that...but then can never remember what they stand for. yeah yeah, i know im hopeless. memory like a sieve :p

callisto

has called it a day
HSC
Hey I did King Lear last yr and got a Band 6 in English so I'd be happy to help if you've got any other questions... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)