Just wondering... (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi, I have a question regarding internal ranks/ marks. Is it really true that if you come 1st in a subject at your school, you are going to receive the person who got the highest mark in the hsc exam? E.g- if you come second in a subject, you are going to receive the second highest mark for the hsc in that subject?

enoilgam

HSC
Hi, I have a question regarding internal ranks/ marks. Is it really true that if you come 1st in a subject at your school, you are going to receive the person who got the highest mark in the hsc exam? E.g- if you come second in a subject, you are going to receive the second highest mark for the hsc in that subject?

This is a common misconception. The person who comes first internally will recieve the highest exam mark from their cohort as their internal mark. The same goes for the person coming last. The rest of the internal marks will be moderated according to ranks and the relative gaps between them.

HSC
So your school rank ultimately determines what your hsc mark is going to be? And then they just average out your actual hsc exam mark with that school mark?

enoilgam

HSC
So your school rank ultimately determines what your hsc mark is going to be? And then they just average out your actual hsc exam mark with that school mark?
No, school ranking has NO impact on your ATAR, but the strength of your cohort does. For example, if the top external mark from a cohort is 90 and the lowest is 60, the internal marks will range from 60-90. The mark you get on the final exam you keep. For more info on this process go here: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
No, school ranking has NO impact on your ATAR, but the strength of your cohort does. For example, if the top external mark from a cohort is 90 and the lowest is 60, the internal marks will range from 60-90. The mark you get on the final exam you keep. For more info on this process go here: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html
So you'll get what you actually get in the HSC
And in ur case, the person who come first internally get 90 as internal mark, and the second one will get moderated internal mark , say 88?

uniquee

reps2g is a stalker
HSC
What happens to the last guy?
does he get the lowest mark the cohort go in the HSC?

FreeLearner

HSC
What confuses me out of all of this, is does your internal mark, say for e.g. you come 3/15, does it get moderated according to how close you were performing to everyone else in school, or how your rank performed in the actual hsc. (if that makes sense) . like say a class had school marks ranking like this:
93.75 - would this guy get an internal mark close to what the guy over him gets, or could it be way under (relative to the grade's performance)
etc....
Because my modern class all seems to be getting such a high mark in our exams, so our ranks are so tightly close to each other, although I'm at the bottom kind of end, so would I still get a pretty good internal :S? so long as my class does pretty good ? since we're expecting many band 5s and a few band 6s?

enoilgam

HSC
Well, if the gap between you and others is close, the final moderated marks will relatively reflect that.

legallaura

HSC
Did anyone see that HSC Study Guide thingie lift-out from the SMH the other day?
It kind of explained it with a sample HSC Results page, and made it easier to understand... :)

uniquee

reps2g is a stalker
HSC
Did anyone see that HSC Study Guide thingie lift-out from the SMH the other day?
It kind of explained it with a sample HSC Results page, and made it easier to understand... :)
Is that the one with HSC student on the side of the page? And they're talking about how they study, etc?

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
That study guide is a trash...
It's helpless...
The geo sample question they put is so obvious and stupid...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)