Just A Question (1 Viewer)

Coffee_Fan

Wait for the dark
HEY GUYS AND GALS, STUPID QUESTION BUT IS EVERY1 ON HERE AT A SYDNEY SCHOOL OR SOMETHING?? I MEAN I CAN'T HELP NOTICING THAT NEARLY EVERY MESSAGE I READ COMES FROM SYD KIDS ( NO OFFENCE, I LOVE SYDNEY AND I WISH I WENT TO SCHOOL THERE) BUT YEAH, JUST CURIOUS. I SPOSE NO-ONE COMES FROM THE HOLE OF THE UNIVERSE CALLED TAMWORTH HEY??

RIGHTO SEEYAZ, cOFFEE_fAN

P.S. WHAT'S IT LIKE TO GO TO SCHOOL IN SYDNEY? EDP AT THE BIG SCHOOLS LIKE JAMES RUSE AND GRAMMAR?

SkAnDi

HSC
I go to school in Sydney (kinda.. it's the oustskirts).

i can't really say what it's like compared to country schools.. never been to a country school myself.

Just a tip, don't type in all Caps... it gets rather annoying :)

Cheers,

Will

HSC
N/A
ruse ain't a big school.. population wise.. about 800 of us...

in terms of area... we have a farm :D

SkAnDi

HSC
We have a farm as well :)

Albeit, i haven't been on it.. since year 10! :D

Mia

i got to forster high
its the most over populated school in nsw
although i love being near the beach and the ability to breath clean air i can see the advanrtages of going to a big syd school

Will

HSC
N/A
omg forster rocks
it's been years and years and years since i've been

i used to spend every summer there when i was wee little

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
im WRITING about a country high school sort of (for my 4u). like about the bad shit that happens in country towns. and if i've *done* my research properly, im supposed to know what its like. but i don't...

coffee_fan, how big is your school up at tamworth? like how many people in your grade.

well my script is based on a really small town (like only a few hundred people living in it) so i guess its diff. to tamworth.

i go to ruse and its in carlingford, a big gaping hole. i would soooo much rather go to school in the city, or up the coast somehwhere nice.

Mia

well yeh forster is pretty nice
im ready for something else though
after schoolies.....big smoke here i come.

so whats a coutry schoool ment to be like, acording to your research?

Kristy

i'm not from a sydney school either - i go to a school in lake macquarie:)

it's a pretty small school - only 40 or so in my year - so i wouldn't be surprised if nobody has ever heard of it!!!

Last edited:

Kristy

yeah, it's nice - fantastic view of the lake!!!

the teachers, however, mainly suck - our school is so corrupt you wouldn't believe....

and also my best friend and i have to do english thru distance ed bcos there wasn't enough ppl to run an advanced class. i hate distance ed!!!!!!

but aside from that, it's ok :)

oh that'd really suck. English doesn't work unless you can discuss it and stuff. I'm kinda glad my skewl is a freak skewl, around 100ppl doing english ext. or sometihng in year 11? And we have two english ext ii classes. The class size for ext ii is annoying but it really does help to be able to discuss things in ext i and advanced. What texts are you doing for advanced?

Kristy

i'm doing:

looking for alibrandi
speeches
birthday letters
hamlet/rosencrantz

i so wanted to do extension, but there was no chance of getting a class @ my little school - we have 3 standard classes and then the 2 of us doing advanced thru distance ed.

what really annoyed me was that there was an advanced class in yr11 but they decided to discontinue it w/out talking to us about it - i thought that was so unfair :-(

but on the upside, i get free periods when everyone else is doing english and they're all doing their trials today so i get to stay home!

*laugh* kewlness...
Speeches is mad I reckon. They're hard to do, cos you have twelve to learn, and I'm still not sure whether it's worth it, but it's so much more fun than say Lear or something.
What are the birthday letters?
I'm doing Hamlet/R&G as well, people learn to stay away once I start talking about those two cos I absolutely adore R&G

Kristy

the birthday letters are the ted hughes poetry, for the 'telling the truth' module. sorry for not explaining that - i'm so used to ppl asking me which ones i'm doing that i just throw out the whole list!

speeches is good, but there are just so many to learn! do you know all of them, or are you just concentrating on a few? i think i know about 5 or 6 in detail, but i could probably respond to the other as well if i'm really lucky :) i just hope that they don't specify which ones we have to use in the exam....

r&g is good - i like it much better than hamlet, but i think i would have preferred to do emma/clueless.

unfortunately i didn't get a say in which one we're doing, but they're not too bad, compared to others! and i would much rather do speeches than king lear :)

Well if you do don't do Hamlet, there's a huge chance you'd have to do Lear. Though you could always have does "The Tempest" (not sure which module that's in) or Julius Caesar for Representation and Texts cos they make you do a Shakespeare.
Is Ted Hughes Sylvia Plath's husband? I'm really annoyed cos I have to do 1984 for Texts and Representation and I would've loved to do TElling the Truth, but I hadn't done a novel yet.

We didn't get a say in our texts either but I'm so glad I'm doing what I'm doing. Compared to the other classes in my skewl, i def. think our class got the best deal. Excepting perhaps the class that doesn'thave to do Skrzynecki's poetry for change, they get to do Harwood's instead.

For the speeches module, they're interesting and I'll def. know Havel, Lincoln, Keating well. I know enoughabout King without studying it and if I studied it I'd end up writing too much. Socrates I know well as well, just cos I do. I'm not sure i'll bother with Pearson or Atwood, as much as I like Atwood, it desn't fit in too well with the rest of the texts. Cicero's too long to do in depth, and I'll just learn some quotes, I know the techniques alright. I have a good memory so that makes things easier. I haven't even read McAleese and I can't stand Goldman. Our skewl specified Goldman in the trial!!! Who've I missed? Aung San Suu Kyi, can't stand her either, I'm not exactly sympathetic to the whole feminism thing.

Havel's a genius though, I lvoe his speech. And cliche as Keating's is, it's very well written I think.

Kristy

yeah, ted hughes was sylvia plath's husband - a friend of mine from another school is doing her for poetry so i pinched all her notes to use as related material!

i think my favourite speeches are lincoln, king, keating, pearson and probably havel, but i did an assessment on goldman so that's probably the one i konw the best! i know socrates and cicero from doing ancient history, but they're both too long-winded for my liking so i tend to steer clear. macaleese isn't too bad, but it doesn't really tie in w/ anything apart from aung san suu kyi and i can't stand writing about feminism either - it's so been done to death!

i can't believe you got 1984, i'm so jealous! i love that book, and it would have been so easy for me to do. but ted hughes is actually pretty good - i think it's my favourite of all the texts we're doing. and it is really easy - there are tons of techniques and double meanings to talk about!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)