Judith Wright / Poetry Assessment (1 Viewer)

Qwerty23

HSC
Hey everyone,

Wondering if anyone has done any work with judith wright, or if anyone has a poetry assessment coming up in the next few days/week?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Do you by any chance go to Sefton High School?

yutang

HSC
lol...the ppl @ ruse r also doin judith wright poems for change

silentprayer

silently praying
HSC
wow same, im doing south of my days as well, but i cant be in your school cos i goto a boys school

nickyroony

BigBlogger
HSC
We're doing Judith Wright very briefly in our poetry course.. my school focuses on Robert Gray.

We did write a small essay on South of My Days. I didn't really enjoy it =_=

munkaii

HSC
if someone can poste some notes or annotations that would be great! im doing judith as well..

NightShadow

HSC
Really the ppl at ruse are doing judith wright? is that for the Area of study assessment due in term 2 week 2?...cause we haven't started judith wright...we're just doing stuff on Les Murray

munkaii

HSC
how have you people been able to link your texts to BOS texts..specifically Conciliation which i am trying to link them to..because my reelated links to conciliation well

schiffman

HSC
Do your own work

guys u lazy bums do ur own work cough pplz these day especially you kevin and david

SchoolCertifica

HSC
Im doing judith wright for my very first english advanced assessment, Ive never heard of her, or her work. I dont get how i am meant to write a essay on the poem "Legend" when it doesnt make any sense.

Please help me.

Hope_

Hope~
HSC
I've done 2 poems at school by Judith Wright - Woman to Man, and Woman to Child.

zxreth

HSC
yeah, i've done one of judith wright's poems that is "A Document"

carmot

HSC
I've interpreted 'Legend' in two different ways.

Judith Wright was big on being in harmony with nature, so one way of looking at it is the need to be in harmony in nature, and the powerful force and strength that nature possesses. In the first few stanzas, you can see that the blacksmith's boy is out to 'conquer' nature, with his dog and gun, typical destructive implements. Blacksmith also has connotations with making weapons, and is also symbolic of the devil. You can also see nature fighting back with increasing ferocity through the first two stanzas.

However, in the third stanza, the elements of his own destructive human world are beginning to turn on him, and now nature, although powerful, will not destroy him and begins to protect him 'the grass lay down to pillow him' etc. as 'his rifle broke, his hat blew away and his dog was gone'. The rainbow that appears symbolises hope and invincibility offered by nature, and there is a change in him when 'he ran like a hare, he climbed like a fox' showing the elements of nature in him now. In the last stanza, his change in attitude is emphasised by 'hung the rainbow on his shoulder instead of his broken gun' and now 'lizards ran out to see, snakes made way for him'.

Another way to interpret it is that it depicts how one must face their problems. It begins with attempting to overcome them using brute force, or just trying to continue on with life without changing your thinking. The barriers imposed by your problems are depicted by nature. In the third stanza, when elements of his world begin to threaten him, it can be seen as needing to overcome your self-imposed barriers and changing your mindset in order to solve your problems. The rainbow symbolises the hope and promises of overcoming these problems, while the youth and innocence of the blacksmith's boy show that no matter your experience, age etc., anyone can overcome their problems

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)