JUAIseek or SAM (1 Viewer)

toheart226

therese27 said:
I have posted three messages on this forum today and still it shows no replies. I am a new member and may not be looking for reply in right place. Can someone reply to me on THIS forum so that I can get some help? thanks heaps
same.....my jap result 42/50 scaled to 13.4/50
do people usualli get lower than the sam prediction or higher?

therese27

Can you please help me lazarus - therese27

Lazarus said:
Neither JUAI nor SAM attempt to predict UAIs.

There is no data in either program pertaining to the 2005 HSC.

It is up to you to decide whether UAIs from past years are indicative of your 2005 UAI.
This is now my fourth message and still no word on why SAM 2004 scales marks DOWN instead of UP. Almost all my HSC 2005 subjects should be scaled upwards and SAM isn't showing this. Why?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Believe it or not, I have a life to lead as well, and cannot sit in front of my computer all day answering questions (particularly when it's always the same questions being asked and answered).

SAM did not scale down your marks. It only looks like it did.

Look at this flowchart: http://www.boredofstudies.org/other/flowchart.pdf

Raw marks are both 'aligned' by the Board of Studies and 'scaled' by the Technical Committee on Scaling.

You don't have your raw marks, so SAM can't scale them - instead, it tries to work out an equivalence between your aligned marks (the ones you got given today) and your scaled marks (the ones that have been calculated for use tomorrow).

Just because your scaled mark is lower than your aligned mark doesn't mean you've been scaled down - because it might still be higher than your raw mark. Nearly all scaled marks will be lower than the corresponding aligned mark. This is explained in the "You and Your UAI" booklet that all HSC students recently received.

seadonkey

HSC
jUAI = 93.95
SAM = 94.45

jUAI seems 2 b more accurate wen comparing 04 frends subject results n UAIs... infortunately for me =(

reprise

therese27 said:
This is now my fourth message and still no word on why SAM 2004 scales marks DOWN instead of UP. Almost all my HSC 2005 subjects should be scaled upwards and SAM isn't showing this. Why?
I'm not sure why you're assuming your marks "should" be scaled upwards. The technical committee and UAC know which subjects have been scaled up or down, but the rest of us will be in the dark until tomorrow.

darkroomgirl

HSC
Someone said (might have been Lazarus) that last year, the biggest difference between SAM's prediction and actual UAI was only 2 marks... so I'm guessing it's pretty accurate.

I don't have jUAI... so yeh, no idea.

maddy1988

Maddy :)
HSC
help

Ok i have a question i hope someone can enlighten me on.
I read somewhere on BOS that coming first makes you 'immune' from scaling.
My assessment rank in all of my classes was first, and many of them reasonably high. I was also considerably ahead the rest of my year as they are pretty dumb.

I also came first in my year in all of the hsc exams. however, what appears to have happened because of this is that my assessment marks have been moderated to be exactly the same as my exam marks, and therefore my HSC mark. This has proven to disadvantage me as i did not perform as well in my exams as i did in my assessment tasks. virtually...none of my assessment marks meant anything towards my HSC mark which is really upsetting.

did this happen beacuse of the lack of competition in my year group? if i had more competetion would they have 'pulled up' my exam or assessment marks?? i am really sad. please help me understand

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
maddy1988 said:
I read somewhere on BOS that coming first makes you 'immune' from scaling.
My assessment rank in all of my classes was first, and many of them reasonably high.
I also came first in my year in all of the hsc exams. however, what appears to have happened because of this is that my assessment marks have been moderated to be exactly the same as my exam marks, and therefore my HSC mark. This has proven to disadvantage me as i did not perform as well in my exams as i did in my assessment tasks.
You weren't disadvantaged - you were awarded the maximum possible assessment marks in the circumstances, being your own examination marks (which were top at your school).

The only way you could have been 'pulled up' would be for you or another student in your class to obtain higher examination marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)