joining clubs?? (1 Viewer)

redlebor

HSC
N/A
When I was in 1st year I joined up with lots of clubs - it was a fun way to meet some new people. Come 2nd year I just kept in touch with the more active clubs and the ones that were really helping me grow.

I'm still in contact with friends from my Christian uni club: you can check them out or sign up now for your campus at www.afes.org.au then click on 'connect'.

BTW you can still be involved with a club without paying the small membership fee. The uni insists on clubs collecting the fee, probably so that they stay afloat.

HSC
Clubs are awesome and I know from experience that people who find one or two clubs which really work for them in first year have a better time at uni than those who never get involved in anything. Especially if you don't have many friends going to the same uni as you, joining a club is the best way of making friends with people who have common interests with you, because unless you are doing a really specific course, it isn't that easy to make friends in a 500 person lecture theatre or seeing them for one hour a week in a tutorial.

Which or how many clubs you join depends on what your interests are. If you played an instrument in high school and want to keep up the skill socially, join a music group which isn't aligned with the music faculty at your uni. If you play a sport, join the uni sport club. If you like writing/are interested in journalism or student welfare, find out if you can do some writing for the student magazine, or work for the student union, or help organise student elections etc.

The thing is, once you find a club where you feel comfortable, get on with all the people and love being involved, it really makes uni a lot more fun, and you can generally get a lot of help/guidance from older students in your club who know the ropes around uni.

lou071

HSC
N/A
if you join the clubs in first year, is it going for a year or going for all years u stay in uni?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Membership is yearly. You have to join again each year.

lou071

HSC
N/A
i am thinking of joining 2 clubs: faculty related club and volunteering...
do you think it is a bit small?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
How much you get involved is entirely up to you. There is no right amount.

Just do what you're comfortable with and with regard to how much time you have.

HSC
Not necessarily. If you don't have any special interests for which there is a correpsonding club, there is no point in joining lots of clubs in which you are not interested just because you feel you should.

Faculty related clubs are good because you can get advice, deals, free stuff etc that is relevant to your course, and the volunteering club is always a good place to start because volunteering is a great extra curricular activity.

You might meet someone in that club who is in another club and recommends it to you, and you can join then. You can join clubs at any time in the year, so there is no need to rush into joining tonnes at the start.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Raven3333 said:
USU is the University of Sydney union. In terms of what they do, well shit all honestly. Apart from running a few of the shops around uni, they also spend a disproportionate amount of money funding minority groups, they pollute the uni everytime there is an election, oh and they are also very good at spamming your email.
I seriously :lol:'d hard when I read this. So so true! When it's election time the pavement is covered in white/rainbow-coloured chalk, paper is flying everywhere on the main roads, posters stuck to every single possible building/object... and it goes on lol. I guess I can't really say much more than that you'll be experiencing it this year as well. Oh yeah just before I forget, you "may" get potential election candidates crashing your lectures telling you about communism, a guy who raps for 10 seconds straight and then claims that he needs your help, or one which claims the other person is corrupt and uses election funds to pay his personal phone bills... yeah it gets crazy come election time.

Miss Winey

HSC
USU - University of Sydney Union.

It is an organization by the students for the students.
At Sydney Uni, the union have 3 main buildings for student services. within them, there are over 35 food outlets, doctors, chemists, hairdressers, photo processing shops, banks, newsagents, clothing stores, computer/electronic equipment stores and of course the 2 main bars - Manning Bar and Hermanns Bar.
Also we have our own theatre - called the cellar theatre, if you want to write your own play and get people to perform it? join SUDS.
Also we have our own radio station for 3 months/year.

They also have plenty of meeting rooms for clubs to gather and do whatever the clubs does.

the USU also run the clubs&societies program. which looks after the 150+ clubs at sydney uni. Each club is given anywhere from $4000-$8000 worth of funding/year to provide activities for their members.
This is a MASSIVE expense, so you can imagine how many things happen at sydney uni each day.

the USU also runs a number of publications/year. most of them are free and all come from student contributions

USU has lots of volunteer and student leadership programs, which are great if you want a hand at attempting some cool stuff, like bringing dodgem cars on campus!

Then there are Arts/innovation/volunteer and other things prizes, which fosters student creativity.

Not to mention the BIG party events every year! Including O-week, beachball and snowball.

um......what else?
you can check the website out
USU Online - the University of Sydney Union Website

Access Benefits is what you pay to be access the benefits of the union.
It's only $99 (when i was in first year, it was close to $600! so consider yourself lucky)
and this basically pays for
clubs and socs
building maintainence
initiative programs
pay a few people to run the place
subsidising everything
Access - the University of Sydney Union

SRC is also different again.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Rafy said:
Membership is yearly. You have to join again each year.
Oh and apparently if you want to join ComSoc this year at USYD, all you need is an ACCESS card, they're not charging fees this year.

white ferret

HSC
is it worth it getting the access card if ur going to b at the cumberland campus of usyd? i heard there are less clubs, and all the discounts are for stores near the camperdown campus. :(

jkwii

Ultimate Member
HSC
i hope not. i'm at cumberland too. =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)