joining clubs?? (1 Viewer)

lou071

HSC
N/A
how many clubs in uni would you recommend first years to join from your experience?

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
up to you...depends how keen you are for moar activities. I joined the clubs associated with my faculty and stuff (engos, elec engos, IT) mostly for the cheap/free bbqs they hold.

Miss Winey

HSC
I disagree with the above post.

Most clubs are active, because it takes a helluva lotta work to get them registered for funding each year (believe me. it's PAINFUL) and i don't understand why they would go through all that effort and then not DO anything.

Anyone who claims the above attitude, needs to do the following:
a. check their email. as most clubs contact via email
b. Read the student publications, as there is always a clubs and socs page and they let you know what is happening.
c. read some posters around campus
d. Actually attend events with an open mind and get involved! instead of criticising that their union fees are going down the toilet.

Miss Winey

HSC
in reply to the actual question,

I think in first year, you can stick your finger in every pie, and just experience a large variety of whatever club interests you.
approximately 5 or 6 is a good number.
Each club will have around 4 MAJOR events/year and some really active ones will have events every week or every fortnight.

i recommend your faculty club, any sub-faculty club, at least one sporting/physical activity club, at least one charity/volunteer club and as many "special interest" clubs (religious, gender, sexual orientation,food, drinks, toys, films, superheros etc) , that you may like.

when you are in first year, clubs are great to
a) meet new friends who have at least ONE interest which is the same as yours.
b) scam free/cheap food/drinks
c) learn new skills

in First year, you ONLY need to PARTICIPATE in the events, so chill out and have some fun, in 2nd, 3rd year + you may be interested in taking leadership roles in your favourite club, this is SUPER FUN. but it means you have to limit your club hopping activities.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Miss Winey said:
in reply to the actual question,

I think in first year, you can stick your finger in every pie, and just experience a large variety of whatever club interests you.
approximately 5 or 6 is a good number.
Each club will have around 4 MAJOR events/year and some really active ones will have events every week or every fortnight.

i recommend your faculty club, any sub-faculty club, at least one sporting/physical activity club, at least one charity/volunteer club and as many "special interest" clubs (religious, gender, sexual orientation,food, drinks, toys, films, superheros etc) , that you may like.

when you are in first year, clubs are great to
a) meet new friends who have at least ONE interest which is the same as yours.
b) scam free/cheap food/drinks
c) learn new skills

in First year, you ONLY need to PARTICIPATE in the events, so chill out and have some fun, in 2nd, 3rd year + you may be interested in taking leadership roles in your favourite club, this is SUPER FUN. but it means you have to limit your club hopping activities.
You gotta love the free food that they give to first years, and with drinks they give out free bottled water! Most people usually go for the bottled water than the cans of soft drink cos water costs $2.50 without the ACCESS card at USYD. Pretty bloody expensive if you ask me for a 300ml bottle of water.

Anyways, back on the original topic... clubs are a very good way to meet new people even though you may not go to any of the night-time parties/balls that they may hold each semester. Usually they will ask you for a $5-$10 sign up fee but it's usually worth it. Join Join Join!

lou071

HSC
N/A
thanx.

do you need to pay $5-$10 to sign up or is it different from each club?

and like above thread said, joining 5-6 clubs won't disturb you from handing in assignment in time and studies right? (i know it totally depend on you but wondering if anyone joined 5-6 clubs in their first year, i want to know if they didn't have problem in managing studies and club participation):)D

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
It's different. Some clubs require no sign-up fee whatsoever but with clubs like ComSoc at USYD per se, it costs $10 to sign up. And with rumours that they are lacking in funds this year, it may go up. Otherwise they will find some other method to raise revenue.

Anyways join 5-6 clubs, depending on how active a person you are, probably won't have a significant impact on your uni marks... that is unless you're planning on becoming a heavy partyer/drinker and staying out all night long every single weekend.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Can we join societies like Comsoc if we dont do commerce?

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
lol @ jb_nc, english perfectionist...

Well the ACCESS card at USYD costs $99 each year, whereas at UNSW it costs around $150 (please correct me if I'm wrong). However UNSW guys get more benefits from what I hear.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
jb_nc said:
But, Rafy, I'm not an access card... I'm a human.

What can I do?
Pretend the word 'holder' was included in the sentence.

lou071

HSC
N/A
can anyone explain to me what USU is and what USU do?

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
lou071 said:
can anyone explain to me what USU is and what USU do?
USU is the University of Sydney union. In terms of what they do, well shit all honestly. Apart from running a few of the shops around uni, they also spend a disproportionate amount of money funding minority groups, they pollute the uni everytime there is an election, oh and they are also very good at spamming your email.

lala2

Banned
HSC
lol @ Raven3333, cos it's so true. When I was in first year, I think I got all enthusiastic and joined about 10 (but only the free ones, mind you). But I ended up not even being active in any that year, as it got too stressful. First year is definitely sticking your fingers in every pie possible though--second and third year is when you'll start taking on exec positions and what not thus limiting your involvement in other clubs and socs. Looking forward to getting my ACCESS card this year....

lou071

HSC
N/A
how to you get ACCESS card? i heard that you need to pay $99, is this right?

KarmaKitten

HSC
I joined way too many things in first year. I think most people do. This year I will probably only join 2-3 things. And only things that really interest me.

Miss Winey is spot on though, join a variety of stuff at first, general interest stuff, ngo/charity stuff and faculty-degree related stuff. That way you can kind of experience everything. Of course by 2nd semester you will most likely attend only 1 or 2 things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)