Japanese Studies (1 Viewer)

kaitoufion

HSC
Hi~

Has anyone done Japanese Studies at UNSW before???

Just wanna hear some comments about this course as I will be doing it this year :)

Thz~!

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
i will be doing this toooooooooo! i was just wondering when we do the test for them to place u in different levels coz i did japanese for my hsc and i'm sure i need to do this test

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
http://languages.arts.unsw.edu.au/main/placetest.html

I do Science/Arts, and I'm majoring in Japanese Studies, possibly to do Honours. As I never did Japanese in the HSC I started with JAPN1000 and JAPN1001. Those subjects are 6cp each, with 5 contact hours a week. I believe JAPN2000 and JAPN2001 are the same - if you have done HSC Japanese you are usually sent straight to JAPN2000/2001.

1 1hr lecture
2x 2h tutorial classes

Most of the classes are taught by native Japanese speakers (however, the head of the department is a gaijin). The focus is spread amongst all aspects of the language - reading, writing, listening and speaking. Later on in the degree, you will do culture units where you will learn about Japanese culture and history; but for most of these the prerequisite is Japanese at JAPN2000 level...

On the whole Japanese at UNSW is really ace. If you are interested in Anime there is an Anime Club which you can join during O-week. Also, as a Japanese student you will be granted automatic membership into J-club which has weekly meets.

I hope that made sense

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
woohoo i'm going there too!!!

placement tests are soon

i believe i dont need to stress like the hsc exams (as if i really did do them fully awake!)

i also believe that...

im majoring in japanese

and did u know that the placement tests are on 24th 10-12

and that ur results come out in the afternoon? i wonder what they mean by afternoon though? early evening? wakaranai!!

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
results come out in the afternoon? does that mean we have to wait there at uni for the results or just go home and check it up on the net?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
my friends did ext in japanese but they still did JAPN2000 i think

kaitoufion

HSC
I Missed Out On It >.<

I wasn't in Sydney on Monday so I missed out on the Advising Session @_@
So I am just wondering whether there were anything important during the Arts Advising Session~ :)

So is the placement test on February?? But actually I only learnt a bit of Japanese in Year 8 and we only learnt how to read those symbols (Hiragana & a bit of Katakana) ~ So I guess I might start from 1st Level again since I don't really have a good foundation ^.^" hehe~ But I might still give it a try and go and do the test~ ^^

So you guys are doing Japanese as well? I love Japanese too~ It's just AWESOME~ XD

Last edited:

kaitoufion

HSC
To babydoll_

Just a question about the Contact Hours~

What actually is "Contact Hours"??
Is it the number of hours that we need to attend those lectures? Or is it the number of hours that they require us to study at home by ourselves??

kaitoufion

HSC
Majoring in Japanese

Also if I wanna have Japanese as my Major, what other courses do I need to do?? Coz I know there are certain courses that you need to do in order to major in a course.

So can someone tell me what other courses do I need to do in order for me to be able to Major in Japanese please???

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
contact hours is the amount of hours you spend in a class (lecture or tutorial). for the 5 hrs every week you're expected to spend an equal amount of time, or more, revising and studying at home.

if you want to do a major, you have to do (assuming you do beginners) 42cp which MUST include the following
1st year: JAPN1000 + JAPN1001
2nd year: JAPN2000 + JAPN2001 + JAPN2500
3rd year: JAPN3000 + JAPN3001

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
u didnt go to the advisory session did you? (naughty naughty!!)

the handbook says you need to do 42 uoc (24 language core i.e. japn2a,japn2b), as well as one of the core: japn2500 or jpan3900 (one is harder as it's a prerequisite for honours in jap), and then the leftover you can use for culture electives such as japn 2512 japan and korea: guns, gods and buddhism

and then there's some different language classes where you need D average to do, and then on your certificate, you get BA(Japanese advanced) instead of BA (Japanese) since students of a higher calibre do them.

oh yea, most classes are 6uoc, so you do about 7 japanese classes in order to have a major in it, but i think the max is 10 japanese classes. i suppose more than that means you're getting a little overexcited! hehee!

hope it was helpful

but anyhow, you should really read up what's there in the handbook. the silly rules are actually meant to be abide =p

oh yes babydoll_, i read that you need to do 1 hr of self study as a requirement... and so from all the contact hours gathered from lectures, seminars as well as tutorials, does that mean you're expected to do 6 hrs per week of japanese at uni?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
nope, 5 hrs, and that 1 hr is just recommended, they don't enforce it or anything

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
awww! talking about all this japanese study makes me want to study japanese!! (right about now)

and what's the difference in lectures vs seminars vs tutorials?!

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
lecture: you sit in a big hall, and someone talks at you and presents stuff... in japn, you get to watch a bit of japanese tv sometimes too if they're feeling generous

seminar/tutorial: like a 'class' in high school, you and ~30 students (sometimes less, sometimes more) and sensei practise your nihongo

kaitoufion

HSC
Contact Hours

Yeah I read the Handbook and it says the Contact Hours Per Week is 6 hours.
But after I selected the lecture (coz JAPN1000 only has 2 options when choosing lecture, either Monday morning or night time, both are only 1 hour lecture), it appears on the timetable that I only need to attend 1 lecture per week and that lecture is only 1 hour~! o_O

Then how can I do 6 hours when it says its Contact Hours Per Week is 6 but only giving 2 options and each is only 1 hour??? @_@

Do you get what I mean coz I know it is very confusing~

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
yea i get exactly what you mean... i asked about that, and they say once you go to a lecture, you start signing yourself up for seminars and tutorials during week 1, and then the seminars and tutes start in week 2.

u got the hard copy of the BA undergradute timetable at the advisory session didn't you? well, you should have a look at the time of their seminar and tutorials and make sure you can slit it in somewhere in your timetable. but even if you arranged it to fit in ur timtable, it won't show on your online timetable.. until... sometime?

kaitoufion

HSC
Oh I get it now~!! ^^
Thank you very much for everyone's help!! (Coz I am very stupid at these kind of things @_@)

So to fill the rest of those Contact Hours, I need to wait until Week 1 to enrol into their tutorials or use TAS to enrol into tutorials if I do Commerce/Economics classes~!

Ah~! Now I get it hehehe~ ^0^

Thank you SOOOO much mina-san~!!
Arigato Gozaimasu~! XD

Oh but I would also like to know what's the difference between a seminar and a tutorial?? Coz now when we choose those seminars & tutorials to fill up the rest of those Contact Hours, we can also choose whether we want to attend seminars or tutorials~ So for Japanese, its Contact Hours per week is 6. A lecture = 1 hour; self study = 1 hour; seminars/tutorials = 4 hours.

So do we choose 1 seminar + 1 tutorial to make up those 4 hours?? Or are we allowed to choose 2 seminars with no tutorials, or 2 tutorials with no seminars??

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)