Jap vs Euro Cars (2 Viewers)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I used to be a huge JDM fan but have moved over to the Euro side. Yes it costs more to buy but so far I feel like everything has been engineered with human ergonomics in mind. My Evo X did everything it said it would on day 1 (i.e. it was fast) and I was aware of the limitations. The Benz however grew on me and I kept finding little design things or elements which made me go "hey that's clever". Even subtle details like the interior lighting at night or the HVAC controls.

ps. The cost argument however doesn't necessarily hold for maintenance (and resale). The Evo was a lot more expensive to maintain (not counting petrol costs) and resale/depreciation.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
ps. The cost argument however doesn't necessarily hold for maintenance (and resale). The Evo was a lot more expensive to maintain (not counting petrol costs) and resale/depreciation.
You know it's not fair to compare a modified evo to a mid range c class when talking about maintenance! Besides, don't you have courtesy cars all the time? I find the resale claim skeptical but even if it's true in 5, 10 years time the evo will be worth more.

Fonzie32

HSC
I used to be a huge JDM fan but have moved over to the Euro side. Yes it costs more to buy but so far I feel like everything has been engineered with human ergonomics in mind. My Evo X did everything it said it would on day 1 (i.e. it was fast) and I was aware of the limitations. The Benz however grew on me and I kept finding little design things or elements which made me go "hey that's clever". Even subtle details like the interior lighting at night or the HVAC controls.

I was a fan of JDM cars too, but have converted to the euro scene for a while now. I still have a thing for JDM cars but they all just lack the solid feel that a Merc gives you. Even VW has some features Mercedes offers like lighting in the door strips and door handles. All the little gadgets and features you get in a Euro car are just years ahead of any technology in a Jap car (excluding GTR's, LFA's etc with all the G sensors and what-not).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The subtlety of lighting in a premium Euro car is very different to the interior lighting kits both factory and aftermarket in JDM cars! (I had the factory lighting kit in my Civic).

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Had both Jap and Euro (currently have a Jap car) and I definitely prefer Euro without question.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Yeah, when expensive cars depreciate fully the costs relative to value are pretty steep. You can get Maserati 3200s or Cl600 (v12 biturbo ones) for like 30-45k - both could rack up insane bills if you didn't know what you were buying.
cars become a white elephant when they get really old. Tbh if you maintain euro cars well and service it often, they can run for a very long time. One big thing for me is safety too, I'd rather be in a german car when a crash happens. jap cars just feel so paper thin and handling is a lot different. germans def have got their handling down to a science.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
One big thing for me is safety too, I'd rather be in a german car when a crash happens. jap cars just feel so paper thin and handling is a lot different. germans def have got their handling down to a science.
Meaningless statement. This is going to come down to individual models on both sides of the fence.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Meaningless statement. This is going to come down to individual models on both sides of the fence.
its obviously a general statement about "euro vs jap cars" comparing different models is another whole issue.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
its obviously a general statement about "euro vs jap cars" comparing different models is another whole issue.
There's such an immense range of difference here that it's become pointless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)