iz 3unit worth it??? (1 Viewer)

Deuz

HSC
iz 3 unit eng worth doing if im going to drop it in yr 12... will it help me in any way?

Fido

yeah i reckon it is. equally i reckon you should keep it in year 12, its really easy marks . may sound odd, but i think it's soooo much easier than advanced

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
Yes, I find it much easier than Advanced. Advanced annoys me because there is so much to do. And the creative writing for Crime Fiction is always fun!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
keep it dude - basically everyone who does it says they enjoy it more than advanced eng. in adv, you focus so much on the technical sides of texts and really REALLY boring modules *sigh* (come on, who DOESNT hate frontline...) whilst in ext1 eng you look a whole lot deeper into the texts and the texts themselves are much more interesting and insightful...most often something you either have read for pleasure or would consider reading.

taxman

make poverty
HSC
I say take it. I think as a whole I've become a more aware and cultured person because of it. Drama and Ext English have made me feel a bit more at home at parties when people are talking literature. But keep it for yr 12...anybody that does a subject so they can drop it are doing it for the wrong reasons. Unless it is IPT.

KILL IPT! KILL IT! NOW!

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i love frontline but i agree, 3u is heaps better than 2u, i'd say take it

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
Deuz said:
iz 3 unit eng worth doing if im going to drop it in yr 12... will it help me in any way?

yeah - it will help you with your readingm writing and english skills in general

and who knows .. you might decide to keep it!

televators

HSC
3u whoops shit on 2u

Its better than stupid 'journeys' for 2u- geez, Skrzynecki's poetry is soooo boring!

Atotoi

Beetroot Strudel Anyone??
HSC
2u is a poop... and you're restricted in the way you can express yourself and abstract idea's. Its way more fun too.. id rather watch the Castle than read Jane Austen's Emma - ANYDAY!

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
As all before me have said, yes, it is far better/easier than Adv.

*Pooja*

i like frontline, did 3U in yr 11, liked it, hated it in the end coz i came as one in the last 10 positions of those doing 3U, gave up 3U, loved 2U teaching myself over the holidays, doing the research, till school came and my teachers stuffed me up, now i hate 2U, i want to do STANDARD ENGLISH!!!!!!

HSC
N/A
You have to bear in mind that EE1, rather than being harder or easier (I hated it in Yr 11, still not too fond of it in Yr 12 but am doing very well and doing well in exams) is different.

I still don't 'get' the 2U course after 2 years. But I know the EE1 course (my part of it, anyway) better than the back of my hand. It's a LOT more specific that my Eng Adv course, which helps. Easier to master, anyway, since all your prescribed texts will be quite similar in some way. Depends on what you're doing though.

But hey. I say do it for Yr 11 - if you still hate it at the end of that, drop it. If not, keep it :D I dropped an entire subject after Yr 11..

PS: Something I feel is really important to add is that more than any other HSC subject I've studied, EE1 is the one that's actually changed the way I think. I know it sounds corny, but after studying RFTG for 2 years, I'm a lot more aware of global and local issues. It's also changed the way I read. I don't read - I analyse! lol.

kimbah

Three unit english is a pretty cool subject ( well as cool as they come) in which the work load is not too heavy. If you can handle it and you do ok then it's worth a shot. The most important thing to consider is whether or not you are doing worse in another subject. If you are then there should be no question about keeping it. I'm really happy that it will eliminate one of my maths units! It's always good for a saftey net, which is important because the HSC is so dangerous. he he.

Sponsor

Oh yeah

It is worth keeping, because it is fairly easy marks if you concentrate. It is more the history of texts rather than the study of the text itself. If you change to four unit english in year 12 you do not have to sit an exam. All you have to do is a major work, which either involves an essay or a novel/poem. It is worth keeping as this extra unit does look good on your overall mark, and is easy.

Last edited:

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
I want to do Ext 1 in yr 12...but my teacher's scaring me. She told me who I'll be competing against are those ultra smart people who go to elite private schools, who watch the ABC every night, who are extremely articulate and have equally nerdy professional parents.

Now the size of my self esteem is like a teaspoon.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
IMO it depends on what elective you do. Retreat from the Global is complete BULLSHIT. really. it isn't even English.

Postmodernism is apparently really hard but very cool. Same as Individual and Society.

i know some pretty inept people who do 3U though so i wouldn't be that worried.

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
I absolutely adore English! Shame I didn't pick Est 1 for yr 11, coz I wasn't even confident in doing ESL! Now I have to fight to do it in yr 12. I don't think the BOS is going to let me though.

J

jhakka

meLoncoLLie said:
I want to do Ext 1 in yr 12...but my teacher's scaring me. She told me who I'll be competing against are those ultra smart people who go to elite private schools, who watch the ABC every night, who are extremely articulate and have equally nerdy professional parents.

Now the size of my self esteem is like a teaspoon.
Teachers who say things like that shouldn't be teachers. They should be encouraging their students to pursue courses that have a genuine interest in.

And on the note of doing 3u, I say to do it. It's easy stuff. That, and you get to do 4u if you choose to, which is awesome. I love 4u. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)